Bachmann 2020 Announcements - Winter

Ron Ron Ron

21 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I have a feeling in my bones that a lot of folk are going to be smiling after a very big surprise makes its presence known from Bachmann next week.  Gazumping time might be just around the corner and Santa could well be a very busy chap. :jester:

I predict a Class 91 and full Mk4 train, a redone class 37, Mgr coal hopper and a class 59 all in the shops for Xmas!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I have a feeling in my bones that a lot of folk are going to be smiling after a very big surprise makes its presence known from Bachmann next week.  Gazumping time might be just around the corner and Santa could well be a very busy chap. :jester:

I would predict a Swindon-built model, of the 78xx series.....

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

44 minutes ago, letterspider said:

If they make the Network Rail DBSO - then for the first time ever....I may join the Bachmann Collector's Club...

Yes agree with that or if they do a DRS DBSO, Malcolm or DB Red Glider liveried Class 90.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

On a serious note the 78xx does fit in with Bachmann's range very well as they have over the years done the majority of the BR Standards.

Another left field suggestion could be the Class 92 which Kernow and Bachmann may have had access to all the research via the factory that now has all the old DJ models,  I know there were rumours of legal challenges about the cad ownership but who knows how that ended?

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I hope you are right, in a Manor of speaking?

CoY

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I did make my earlier post rather flippantly, with tongue in cheek. But, would a business like Bachmann release two  Western models, at the same time? My somewhat shortened odds  tell me that Bachmann will indeed release the 94xx, on time, as advertised. Bachmann will also announce another Western model hot on its heels, sometime in Easter-Whitsun.... The time delay is needed:- two price rises in the meantime!*

* The old cynic has reared his ugly head.... 

• Like 1

To be honest I think Bachmann would make a slightly finer Manor than Dapol, but at a higher - say 30% - price.

The biggest omission from the GWR modeller's table at present is 1930s Collett coaching stock; Bachmann Sunshine coaches are long overdue a re-tool, and with the advent of the LMS Portholes, LNER Thompsons, and the under-development Southern Bulleids, i do hope we've not too long to wait for modern GWR coaching stock from Bachmann. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Why break the bank with new tooling, when you can milk the cows with revised liveries?

Any umber of things, actually.  Life-expired tooling, upgraded standard, better fidelity. In the time that something like e.g., the Manor has been out of production, a lot can happen. Factory changes, tools transferred, tools damaged, all sorts of things like that.  Plus... Bachmann couldn't really charge Top Dollar, for what is essentially, 15-20 year old model. 

It sounds harsh, and cynical, but life is like that.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

CoY

That was my reading of it too and with the unprecedented year we've all having it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

I'm guessing there will be sound fitted versions of 94XX locos.  Probably 9466 also offered, either as a collectors club model or main range model, maybe in a train pack with some West Coast or Vintage Trains carriages (or in fantasy land a LU 4TC).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

58 minutes ago, friscopete said:

Collectors club S&D full livery  1P .

That was my feeling. Or the GWR liveried 9466 as preserved.

I think we'll see both eventually and it's possibly more cost effective making them with the other models.

Ha ha. Paul posted just as I did.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, class37418stag said:

Aaaarrrgghhh

Bachmann discontinued class 20201 BR blue with westie dog

Relax....you can easily renumber another one .

I think because they are doing a new one with lights (20/3) , they need to retool the older ones as they are old hat 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

CoY

Gazumping suggests imminence, so perhaps the 43XX as that is nearer to release from Dapol than the relatively recently announced Manor.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If it is a manor, there seems little reason not produce a 43xx and a large prairie alongside it, like Dapol have done. You have to feel a bit sorry for Dap, gazumped by Hornby with the large prairie, with Hornby in a good position to re-gazump them with a mech ready to go for the mogul and manor, and then Blue Box, not the quickest in the world but formidable opposition, doing likewise.

I don't think it's a manor.  I think it's a class 120 dmu, a consistent performer in wishlists and predictions, with a good time span and geographical range; WR west of Swindon, East Midlands, Scotland.  It's also pretty distinctive and we have no 'cross country' style dmus for it to compete with.

I'd like it to be a 2721 or 1854 to Bachmann's standards; they have the 57xx mech up and running for it.  A 74xx would mean body swaps for later bunker shape/cab roof 64xx as well, a sound move if that's what it is.  Whatever it is, and I really have no idea how likely any of my suggestions are, Bachmann need to be able to produce evidence of it's corpereal existence, on shelves in shops, before I will consider buying it this time; my plans have been upset too often by the constant dissappearance of the 94xx for me to put up with any of that nonsense again.  I might pre-order when it's on the 3 month list, but beyond that I have to work to the principle that Bachmann cannot be trusted with lead times, but by and large Hornby can...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I would predict a Swindon-built model, of the 78xx series.....

Don’t you need one more x ?

78xxx Its surely an easier one for Bachmann to execute on ? A good chassis and a tender is there already, just a body needed ?

temper the announcement against the snippet...

We are expecting demand for these new models, which are available exclusively to members of the Bachmann Collectors Club, to be high

A new tooling would be a bit off to be exclusive to the club, but .. other low hanging fruit could be class 37/6 - what does it need, a new nose & revised horns/light above the centre cab window ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Don’t you need one more x ?

78xxx Its surely an easier one for Bachmann to execute on ? A good chassis and a tender is there already, just a body needed ?

temper the announcement against the snippet...

A new tooling would be a bit off to be exclusive to the club, but .. other low hanging fruit could be class 37/6 - what does it need, a new nose & revised horns/light above the centre cab window ?

Aha, I see what you mean, and, you might be right. I was being more specific with the (Great ) Western 78xx, against the BR 78xxx. Still, all will be revealed on Tuesday, I'm sure.  For what it's worth, I haven't a clue, just an inkling at the back of my mind. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 30/10/2020 at 12:45, Ron Ron Ron said:

There can't be any complaints about delays with this latest set of announcements.

As with the previous three sets of announcements made this year, all the items listed should be in the shops over the next few weeks and couple of months.

The backlog from previous years is also being gradually cleared.

We can't have complaints about delays?  How many years have we waited for the retooled V2?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Snip....

Now that is a curved ball, serious gazzumping there....

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, 2750Papyrus said:

We can't have complaints about delays?  How many years have we waited for the retooled V2?

Read what I said.
“There can't be any complaints about delays with this latest set of announcements”.

Everything that will be announced, is expected to be delivered within a few weeks or couple of months.

The backlog from previous years is another matter. That backlog is gradually being cleared.

A retooled V2, if it’s still in the backlog (I don’t remember if they’ve previously announced one?)  will now only appear, once they say it’s coming, via one of these quarterly sets of announcements.

• Like 2