Ignoring a Thread

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, steve1 said:

there are some I no longer wish to follow but there is no option to Ignore.

Sometimes a newer sub-forum may not have add the Ignore facility enabled - you'll just have to do your own ignoring until I get around to them in those cases. Some areas, such as those promoting our business won't have the option enabled either (tough).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, great central said:

Kinda related to this but how can I unignore, if that's a real word?

Due to the screen dancing about when loading on my phone I've managed to ignore a topic I like to keep an eye on.

Can't find out how to reinstate it though.

Thanks in advance

I would think you need to navigate into the thread via the home page and forum structure  (rather than doing a search / view new content) and then there's a 'stop ignoring this thread' option at the top 

• RMweb Premium

Back a few months, I answered that question with this:

On 28/05/2020 at 12:18, DIW said:

Top right of the page click on the arrow next to your name, then on 'Account Settings'. On the next page on the right is an option to look at your ignored topics, and adjust it/them as required.

Hope this helps!

Dave

However when I go to try it to make sure, the option is no longer there..We have had the forum software improved since then, so perhaps the 'Manage Ignored Topics' feature has been dropped or forgotten? Or, perhaps it's just me who can't retrieve that which was so easily cast aside? Perhaps @AY Mod can take a look - (no hurry on my account) - although the above helpful comment may still work for others?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great central said:

Thanks for the suggestions, I've found that if I do a Google search for the relevant topic and then follow the link while still logged in, the ignore button becomes a stop ignoring button. Problem solved:sungum:

Great news and useful tip.

Can I ignore this thread now?  ;)

• 1 month later...
On 17/11/2020 at 10:12, great central said:

I've found that if I do a Google search for the relevant topic and then follow the link while still logged in, the ignore button becomes a stop ignoring button. Problem solved

Which is fine provided you can remember the exact titles of topics you have ignored or, if you can remember what the general subject matter of the topic was, you can construct a set of search terms which only gives you a small number of possible topics to pore through.  But it would be a lot easier if the old "Manage Ignored Topics" function could be reinstated.  The "Ignored Users" function is still listed on the "Account Settings" "Overview" tab, why has the equivalent function for ignored topics disappeared?

As an example: I chose to ignore the main covid/cornonavirus/lockdown threads a few weeks back because the whole subject was doing my head in.  I felt like dipping back in to them today but tryuing to use any one of those keywords to search for relevant topics in Google and, unsurprisingly, they're scattered about in scores of different threads so there's potentially a multi-page list you have to trawl through to find the one(s) you ignored.

The topics in my example above were all in Wheeltappers and my recollection (which I admit may be faulty) is that ignoring a topic meant that, while it didn't show up in searches using the RMWeb search engine, or in activity streams, the topic did still appear in the basic 'unadulterated' listing for the forum or sub-forum it was in.  Even that doesn't seem to be the case now, so there appears to be no easy way to get back to an ignored topic to un-ignore it.  And AFAICS it's basically impossible to get what should be a straightforward list of the topics that you are ignoring.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Agree 1

But you still can't easily find out which ones you have previously chosen to ignore, whereas in the past you could.

The facility used to exist.  It doesn't any longer, and AFAIK no explanation has been offered for this (despite Andy apparently being aware of the issue given that he has previously posted on this thread).  If there is a good, defensible reason for it then I'd be resigned to doing without.  In the absence of a clear statement from The Powers That Be it just means that RMWeb has become slightly less easy to use for no apparent reason.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 01/01/2021 at 20:00, Colin_McLeod said:

If you log out of RMWeb, all topics appear.

Having just tried that I've found that if you log out of RMWeb then you don't get the Wheeltappers forum, which in the particular case I mentioned above is the forum I'd need to see "unfiltered".  So even that workaround doesn't work.