size of Swindon numbers

Snowy,

The two images below feature in my book Steam at Swindon and were taken in June 1952 (82007) and January 1953 (46518) respectively. It appears both carry the same 9" numerals that Swindon was applying to all (non ex-GWR) new builds.

Regards,

Andy.

82007.jpg

46518.jpg

• Like 1

Snowy 1051,

I always thought that all BR standards & ex-pregrouping locos with painted cabside numbers were 8" high, except St. Rollox.  Swindon & St. Rollox were always the odd ones out in painted cabside numbers.  Swindon painted cabside numbers (both steam & diesels) always seemed to have a different font to everyone else (surprise, surprise!) & smaller.

All LMR locos were 8", except locos repaired & repainted at the ex-Caledonian St. Rollox works in Glasgow.  Their  cabside numbers were 10" high & thicker.  I have one of my Jubilees, 45687 Neptune, based at 67A Corkerhill, repainted with the larger numbers.  They really stand out. 

During my trainspotting days at Market Harborough on the Midland Main Line, we would occasionally get a Scottish based Jubilee or Black Five on an express to/from Leeds.  Before we checked our spotting books we knew we had 'copped it' so we were jumping around like mad things.  Oh happy carefree days!

Peter

In his book A Pictorial Record of British Railways Standard Steam Locomotives, Edward Talbot states:

'Most works used 8" high numerals for cab-side numbers but there were some variations. Swindon used 9" and Darlington and Cowlairs 10", while Doncaster appears to have used 8" for Class 4 2-6-0s and 10" for class 5s, 2-6-4 tanks and 9Fs'.

He is accurate with other statistics and information within this work, so I have no reason to doubt the figures he quotes in relation to cab-side numerals.

Andy.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1