IP points motors and ground signals

woodys

Hello, 

I have an NCE DCC system with cobalts digital points motors.

I'd like to install ground signals so that I can see which way the points are set from a distance, I dont want a mimic panel.

So the points motors are operated from the DCC bus, are there ground signal leds that connect to the IP digital motors to show which way they are set.

I see that DCC concepts do sell ground signals but I cant tell whether I connect directly to the IP motors?

TIA

4 hours ago, woodys said:

Hello, 

I have an NCE DCC system with cobalts digital points motors.

I'd like to install ground signals so that I can see which way the points are set from a distance, I dont want a mimic panel.

So the points motors are operated from the DCC bus, are there ground signal leds that connect to the IP digital motors to show which way they are set.

I see that DCC concepts do sell ground signals but I cant tell whether I connect directly to the IP motors?

TIA

Hi

DCC Concepts recommend using a dual 12 volt power supply to feed the shunt signals. Regulated 12 DC power supplies can be obtain reasonably priced from around £6 up.  Their web site shows the connection needed using their item DCP-SPS12 but it shows the connections for a Analogue ip motor not the Digital ip,  but the motors contacts are the same (using 4, 5 & 6 connections) .  Link to DCC Concepts LED shunt signal wiring with ip motor

The alternative is to use a DPDT switch often called a Change-over switch to feed the shunt and manually switch its aspects or use a relay operated by the ip motors contacts.  A relay with DPDT contacts can be used with the relays coil feed from a suitable power supply and via the ip Digitals common and one other contact.   e.g. relay only energises when the point and motor are reversed (set to the turnout direction). So the DC supply would feed into contact/connection 6 on the ip motor and leave to feed the relays coil via either 4 or 5 connection depending on which one is made to 6 when the motor/point is reverse.   Then the relays contacts are wired so as they reverse polarity when the coil is energised and swap it back when de energised.  

All the supply power for illuminating the shunt(s) and relay(s) can be from one 12volt DC regulated power supply and  a 12 volt relay used. Other voltages can of course also be used but the relays coil voltage would need to match the supply voltage. 

Whatever supply is chosen YOU MUST fit a series resistor. DCC Concepts recommend 5K (5000 Ohm).

Note: By using these contacts for shunt signal operation - with either option, you cannot use frog polarity switching via these contacts.

Edited by Brian