Insulated rail joiners

RobinofLoxley

Does anyone know if there is a large pack of these sold anywhere? As I'm going to build with them between almost every piece of track I'm going to need a decent number, at least 100. For what they are they are already expensive and sold in very small packs, is it possible to do better?

14 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

A hint at scale and type of rail might be useful. C&L do plastic joiners in 4mm for bullhead rail. (£10 for 48 joiners) Do you really need so many working joiners, or could cosmetic ones suffice in most places?

Up until now I have found the alignment with plastic joiners to be a useful feature. I know I could use plasticard to separate tracks as an alternative. That price, when individual packs of 12 can be had for 2.50, is what I am trying to avoid paying. Just seems a lot of money for very little. No much in the scheme of things of course but my perception is poor value.

Oh yes I model OO. Doesnt seem to make  lot of difference tbh

Edited by RobinofLoxley
Addition

• RMweb Premium

I'm equally nosey ..... Apart from anything else, you've told us elsewhere you're using lots of Set-track, which (a) doesn't give up it's built-in joiners without a struggle and (b) doesn't generally need IRJs anyway ..... 

I'm a dab hand at removing joiners from setrack.

I am building the layout on the premise of DCC with block detection/automation to follow, which requires the majority of the track items to be powered separately. Hence a lot of insulated joiners. There will be 53 points at the last count and they need minimum 106 joiners just for the frog rails. There will be quite a lot of flexitrack but I have some situations where I will have setrack reused from previous layouts.

The bulldog clip is a nice trick.

No doubt I will have a shot at aligning track without joiners but its one of things where I dont feel the need to take what I see as a risk.

3 minutes ago, RobinofLoxley said:

I am building the layout on the premise of DCC with block detection/automation to follow, which requires the majority of the track items to be powered separately.

Ah ! Thank you. I had visions of a massive DC loco shed with dozens of isolating sections. 

C and L do some plastic fishplates for finescale bullhead track which are just glued either side of the joint and have a half peg on the inside which can be used to make a functional IRJ or trimmwd off to make a cosmetic joint. I never got on with them but you could do something similar in styrene strip glued into the rail web on setrack, one strip either side should hold it in alignment. Fill the gap with epoxy or gel cyano to be sure. Evergreen strip seems to be a bit more rigid than trimming strips from sheet. 

9 hours ago, Zomboid said:

You could stick all the track down with normal joiners and then take a dremmel to the places that you want gaps.

You can also solder a small piece of copper-clad PCB to the bottom of the rail then gap the rail (and the copper layer) with a cut-off disk. Doing that will maintain the alignment between the rail ends better than plastic IRJs.

18 hours ago, Zomboid said:

You could stick all the track down with normal joiners and then take a dremmel to the places that you want gaps.

I didnt think of that. I dont have one but you never know.....

Also it didnt occur to me at first that although I need to power individual track sections I can leave the original fishplates in place a lot of the time. Doh.

Edited by RobinofLoxley
addition

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 31/10/2020 at 14:32, Zomboid said:

Sometimes this is not a good idea with plastic-based track. As the temperature rises and falls (especially in lofts) the rails can move, and if you're not careful the gap can close. How do I know? I did it this way to start with. Played trains with my DCC system in the morning, then went up to play again in the afternoon and got a DCC short as soon as I switched the layout on. A "no-cost" IRJ had closed up.

Plastic IRJs have a tab in the centre that stops the rails from making contact if there's expansion. Hopefully your rail gaps elsewhere can take the expansion in hot weather without letting the track buckle. 

The question of expansion was discussed on another thread. I have a loft with big temperature swings,  which I catered for by leaving expansion room in the conventional fishplate joints. I had no problems with track going out of shape. Plastic IRJ's have some flexibility to take up expansion but I would be leaving security gaps, especially as the power is always from a bus underneath, in most cases I wouldnt need power continuity at the fishplates.

Anyway, back to the original topic. I found a seller on ebay offering 2 packets for 3.49 free postage, better than a kick in the teef :dancer: