Liscombe - 7mm GWR station - small shunting layout

PMP99

• RMweb Premium

I have started chronicling the build of my 4mm 00 layout of Penmaenpool in the 'Modelling Real Locations' thread. In that I explained that it was originally intended to be an end to end layout, but was rebuilt into my garage as a continuous run. A consequence of this is I was left with the two fiddle yard boards, both 4 feet by 2 feet.

Now having my own small modelling room I found that I could erect both of these together along one wall, with an extension into an in built cupboard.

The scenic section is therefore 8 feet long, with a fiddle yard of about 32".

Having been impressed by the 7mm offerings from Dapol in recent years I decided that I could build a very small GWR terminus in the available space.

I have therefore started contructing 'Liscombe' which is totally fictional and is intended to be a way of showcasing the models as much as it is an operational layout.

The buildings will be built in general GWR style, but I am not attempting to adhere to precise GWR track or signalling practices, merely trying to produce something to capture the atmosphere.

The general track plan can be seen in the photos. The fiddle yard is through the bridge into the cupboard.

This is generally my 'winter project' and what is visible in the pictures represents where I got up to over the last winter. I expect to progress it a bit further over the next few months.

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0879.JPG

Edited by PMP99
photos
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Track and pointwork is standard Peco. Whilst the 'boxes' on the points is a bit unsightly I decided I could live with them rather than attempt the modifications I know some people have achieved.

The basic layout is a station with a bay platform and a goods siding with headshunt. It does borrow some ideas from 'Kingsbridge' although much simplified. The loco can relese itself at the buffer stop end, but must exit the layout into the fiddle yard to complete the running round process.

The red pieces of card in the photos above mark approximate positions for station building, goods shed and signal box.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The fiddle yard is visible in this picture. It is four roads, of which the two most outer roads can only be aligned with the nearest track on the layout. This is partly due to the narrowing of the aperture where the cupboard door would normally fit.

IMG_0868.JPG

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

The layout is wired for DCC - using NCE Powercab and SB5 booster.  All the points are wired up and operated by Tortoise motors.

The track has been laid on cork to give a bit of definition to the ballast shoulders once that stage is reached.

IMG_0869.JPG

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Dummy point rodding has been installed and various cranks and pulleys set out where the rodding exit from the signal box will be.

The rodding is wire rod in 'Modelu' stools set higher on plastic bases. The cranks/compensators etc are from the Wills '00' kits being nearer to 7mm scale than 4mm in my opinion.

I painted quite a bit of the rodding a patchy rusty colour but I'm not sure that looks right, so I may revisit that!

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

I will be following your progress with interest - I'm dipping my toe into 7mm and have roughly the same space. I want to go down one side of my shed and have 11.5' by 2' - I was thinking the fiddle yard might have to be out the door but you have illustrated it might be possible to keep it all within the 11.5' length.

Anyway good luck - your progress so far is impressive.

Regards,

James

Edited by jamest
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, jamest said:

Hi,

I will be following your progress with interest - I'm dipping my toe into 7mm and have roughly the same space. I want to go down one side of my shed and have 11.5' by 2' - I was thinking the fiddle yard might have to be out the door but you have illustrated it might be possible to keep it all within the 11.5' length.

Anyway good luck - your progress so far is impressive.

Regards,

James

Hi James, thanks for the ‘good luck’ message. 

The only thing is the length of the F/Y is quite limiting. Basically means my maximum passenger train length will be one loco and one coach.

That said, even if I could accommodate a two coach train in the F/Y it would obviously take up much more length in the station, and would be heading off scene almost as soon as it’s got going!

I just had to accept from the outset if I wanted to play with O gauge there would be lots of compromises along the way, hence little point trying to replicate a real prototype location.

Look forward to seeing how you get on too.

Graham

Edited by PMP99
Amendment
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, muddys-blues said:

Hello Graham, that looks quite a nice shunting set up, and where about's in Gwynedd do you reside 

Best regards

Craig.

Hi Craig,

Tywyn for last two and a half years. Six years in Dolgellau before that. Buckinghamshire before that.

Been a Talyllyn volunteer for 43 years.

Graham

• Like 1

Just now, PMP99 said:

Hi Craig,

Tywyn for last two and a half years. Six years in Dolgellau before that. Buckinghamshire before that.

Been a Talyllyn volunteer for 43 years.

Graham

Hello Graham, good to know there are a few more modellers in the County, somewhat spread out, but there :good:

Best regards

Craig.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, PMP99 said:

Look forward to seeing how you get on too.

Thanks,

You might have to wait a little bit as I need to move on a OO layout to make space. Until then I'll get my fix here.

With regard to your location I have spent many a happy summers day in Angelsey just above you. We have friends that live in Newborough. We did wonder down as far as Pwlheli on the mainland but not as far as you yet!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

14 hours ago, muddys-blues said:

Hello Graham, good to know there are a few more modellers in the County, somewhat spread out, but there :good:

Best regards

Craig.

I'm just down the road in Porthmadog, moved here a couple of years ago. modelling 7 mm standard & narrow gauge and producing resin kits for both.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Phil Traxson said:

I'm just down the road in Porthmadog, moved here a couple of years ago. modelling 7 mm standard & narrow gauge and producing resin kits for both.

Hi Phil,

Porthmadog is a regular destination for food shopping, so I've been trying to support the model shop there as much as I can when buying paints and plastics etc, rather than mail ordering from the bigger suppliers!

Graham

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Phil Traxson said:

Hello Phil, whoo a few more coming out of the woodwork :good:, what standard gauge resin kits are you producing ?

Graham, apologies for this going off topic, but it's good to unearth a few more Gwynedd residents.

Best regards

Craig (from just along the coast)

Edited by muddys-blues
Apology to Graham for going off topic
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, muddys-blues said:

Hello Phil, whoo a few more coming out of the woodwork :good:, what standard gauge resin kits are you producing ?

Graham, apologies for this going off topic, but it's good to unearth a few more Gwynedd residents.

Best regards

Craig (from just along the coast)

I have some pre group Scottish Vehicles and an odd Great Northern/LNER pulley wagon. Not all available at the moment as due to circumstances before the move and setting up the workshop my already small stock about ran out. The resin castings can be done to order but I need to stock up on bought in items, buffers and "W" iron/axle box units etc. I usually do this at Telford or other shows, but of course these aren't happening at the moment. I must get my backside into gear and phone around for prices and availability, soon!! I do a couple of small huts too and a selection of domestic and industrial windows for buildings as well and a few oddball items which were used for a group layout I was involved with. When the world calms down a little it might be an idea to have a get together and swap notes.

Better give Graham his thread back now!

Phil T.

Port Wynnstay Models 

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having returned to the 7mm layout for a while, some considerable time has been spent on constructing the working signals.

There are two disc signals, one controlling the exit from siding to loop, and one on the loop located protecting the siding exit.

The two home signals will control departures from the main platform, and also the bay platform road.

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

All four signals are visible in this picture.

They are all constructed from the Wizard/Model Signal Engineering kits.

Control is by Circuitron Tortoise motors driving their ‘Remote Signal Activator’ kits.

In order to obtain reliable operation the operating wires both on the signals, and those that go through the baseboard, were made from 0.7mm wire. 

IMG_0776.JPG

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Ballasting of the track is complete. Woodlands Scenics dark brown was used, although the PVA mix darkened it a bit more! Further weathering and picking out oily patches etc. will follow later.

IMG_0777.png

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

A start has been made on the goods shed. I am using the small LCUT kit as a basis. The walls are assembled and painted and the floor weathered. The next stage is to disguise the interlocking corners. 

It is only resting on the layout, not it’s final position. 

IMG_0812.JPG

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The interlocking joints of the LCUT kit have been disguised by cutout strips of Redutex. They have been painted a dark brick colour, then a very dark bluey/grey washed over the top.

I experimented with various stone or grey colours as an alternative, but the difference looked too stark for my taste.

IMG_0817.JPG

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1