Liscombe - 7mm GWR station - small shunting layout

PMP99

• RMweb Premium

Loading platforms added to each side of the shed. Due to my limited space, these have been reduced in width from the kit dimensions, particularly on the track side.

56AFAF03-DF8A-4035-B97D-FC6E35D9967E.jpeg

D35D8390-2739-4E69-B03B-1982A5119A5B.jpeg

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

A bit more progress with the goods shed. Barge boards added, the kit says just stick them straight onto the wall, however I have spaced them out slightly. 
I have also made up some internal beams from lime wood strips, and stained with a dilute light oak wood stain. The beams that go up to the apex at each end will be attached to the roof to locate it, and make it removable.

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

20 minutes ago, PMP99 said:

A crane has been added to the goods shed interior.  It is a Skytrex kit, although I have added the chain to it.

B53ABEBC-09EE-42B7-A762-5FAB9CC18371.jpeg

DC308F50-EEFD-49C2-A1AE-4739760D54C9.jpeg

Should  it not be onthe outside to lift heavy goods out of open wagons? 

Im no expert on how they were used but inside it seems of limited use?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Piemanlarger said:

Should  it not be onthe outside to lift heavy goods out of open wagons? 

Im no expert on how they were used but inside it seems of limited use?

As Siberian Snooper says it is an internal crane. I think these were more generally used where the track went inside the shed. 

Where it is located it can swing out over the track/wagons, but is principally there to    add interest to the interior. I did consider an external crane but didn’t want to fill up my yard too much.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Piemanlarger said:

Ah ok.

I though the wall was in the way stopping it swing out to a wagon.

Hence better to put it outside.

I did consider one on my loading dock but also came to the conclusion it would look too cluttered.

You are partly right as the wall stops it rotating to being fully 90 degrees to the track. The total travel would be about 135 degrees I suppose, although it is actually now permanently fixed in the position shown. I’m sure it’s  not at all prototypical, but as I said earlier it just for effect really.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The doors and runners supplied with the LCUT kit are very flimsy card, and unfortunately not very realistic. I have therefore made up some new doors out of lime wood strip. The runners are made from plastic strip, and the rollers/hangers are from brass nuts, bolts and strip.

Hopefully get these fitted tomorrow.

IMG_0870.png

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Doors on both sides now, and canopies added.  ‘Road side’ is just a narrow cover over the door runner.
Next stage is the guttering and down pipes.

IMG_0879.png

IMG_0880.JPG

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

As the goods shed building is nearing completion I have prepared some ‘goods’ to go inside.

IMG_0907.png

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

The goods shed is basically finished now that the roof is on, and the gutters and drainpipes are fitted. It probably needs a crane operator inside at some point, plus other details adding.

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0914.png

IMG_0916.JPG

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

The Dapol wagon has now been weathered, although the inside has only received a general ‘toning down’ so far. More will be done when I think about it’s load.

This represents the total freight stock at present, although I have a Peco vent van to build which may be the next task.

IMG_0924.JPG

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another van on the workbench. This will be a fish van. The brown is a bit glossy at the moment so will need some matt varnish in due course.

IMG_1012.png

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hello Graham,

I really shouldn't look at GWR and former GWR 7mm layouts! Very inspirational work: I look forward to watching Liscombe grow. Some excellent modelling so far. 

All the best,

Nick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Brinkly said:

Hello Graham,

I really shouldn't look at GWR and former GWR 7mm layouts! Very inspirational work: I look forward to watching Liscombe grow. Some excellent modelling so far. 

All the best,

Nick.

Thanks for the kind words Nick. I don’t think my modelling is quite in the same league as some on here, but I enjoy trying! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Progress has been a bit slow for the last couple of weeks, however the Fish van is now completed.

IMG_1028.png

Edited by PMP99
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 37114 said:

This is looking great Graham, the goods shed has turned out well. The LCUT kits are great but definitely need the extra detail you have added here.

Thanks, I'm quite pleased with it.

Yes, the LCUT kits provide a good fairly cheap starting point, which suits my budget, but as you say it's worth trying to improve them a bit.

I've just started on a small LCUT signal box, and will post some pictures as it progresses.

• Like 2