Somewhere near Stainmore

desktop

It's 25 years since I last dabbled in layout building (Danby Dale BRM August 1995). After a bit of a lay-off and the kids moving out I now have access to an attic bedroom. The North Eastern locos and rolling stock have remained in boxes for over 20 years so really need to be either sold or be given a new layout to run on. Looking through some old magazines a small layout named 'Yappington' caught my imagination, compact and an innovative way to store a layout if the bedroom is needed.

As many of the kits where based on Darlington, Whitby & Stainmore locos and with an admiration for the  Arthur K's Teesdale layout (rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50847-teesdale/)  my interest has been rekindled enough to build a control box, make a start on baseboards and plan the layout. Adding a third board I envisage a 12ft 'Yappington' style layout with cassette fiddle system rather than storage sidings. Danby Dale was based on a real location and that would be my preference,  Middleton-in-Teesdale would be top of the list but requires a little more space than I have. So encouraged by Arthur Whitehead's 'Just Supposing' series back in the 70's this so far un-named layout 'Somewhere near Stainmore' will be a figment of my imagination. Any comments would be gratefully accepted.

Fangdale4b.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

Started on the superstructure for the baseboards. Three of these are required, it's going to be a long job.  Just wish I paid more attention at school woodwork classes. This one is for the main board which will include the storage racks for the other two. Legs are cut ready so may have them all finished by next week.

base1s.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

That's the three baseboards sorted and the stacking system works despite my poor woodworking skills. Next job is to design and fit the folding legs to baseboards 2 & 3.
The top shelf allows 16.5" clearance for the far end board plus background panel. The lower shelf needs less clearance as the fiddle yard cassette box will double as the background and be removed containing the rolling stock when stored.

boards.jpg

Edited by desktop
  • Like 6

I haven't got a particular location in mind there are several ideas, maybe Brough - didn't the good folk there argue for a branch. Then there's the proposed line through Bilsdale never built but 'Just Supposing' it arrived at Chop Gate, Fangdale Beck or Laskill then like Middleton never completed. 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, desktop said:

I haven't got a particular location in mind there are several ideas, maybe Brough - didn't the good folk there argue for a branch. Then there's the proposed line through Bilsdale never built but 'Just Supposing' it arrived at Chop Gate, Fangdale Beck or Laskill then like Middleton never completed. 

I had thought of something along those lines, running from Helmsley through to a junction on the NY&C near Great Broughton (tunnel through from Bilsdale to the Cleveland plain?) heading west through Stokesley giving an alternative route from Scarborough to the north. It would have been promoted on the strength of possible ironstone deposits in the area after the early success of exploration in Rosedale. In the end the line would be kept running until the early 50s with through passenger traffic, timber extraction and quarrying of building stone, no real deposits of ironstone were found.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 12/11/2020 at 20:27, Worsdell forever said:

I had thought of something along those lines, running from Helmsley through to a junction on the NY&C near Great Broughton (tunnel through from Bilsdale to the Cleveland plain?) heading west through Stokesley giving an alternative route from Scarborough to the north. It would have been promoted on the strength of possible ironstone deposits in the area after the early success of exploration in Rosedale. In the end the line would be kept running until the early 50s with through passenger traffic, timber extraction and quarrying of building stone, no real deposits of ironstone were found.

I was once given a drawing of the proposed route and was surprised to see that the plan was to enter Bilsdale as you say through a tunnel from Greenhow but to exit on a 90 degree curve from Laskill through another tunnel under Laskill Moor into Bransdale and join the Pickering - Helmsley line somewhere around Beadlam. The line through Bilsdale was to run on the East side of the valley. If I can find it I'll post it up sometime. 

• Like 1

Baseboards erected and fit neatly into the sloping roof. The plan doesn't quite work as there's not enough room to work both sides of the layout. I was never really happy with the position of the engine shed and turntable anyway so back to the drawing board on that one. 

20201114_183737[1].jpg

Edited by desktop
forgot to add pic
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Route of proposed railway through Bilsdale. The suggested route starting at Ingleby station would have tunnelled under Clay Bank car park emerging into Bilsdale roughly near the road that branches off to Urra and followed the hillside down the east side until reaching Lavrock Hall farm and by tunnel through the hillside into Carlton parish and south into Helmsley.
http://www.bilsdale.org.uk/assets/newsletter/1310bsg_newsletter.pdf

Bilsdale-railway-1.jpg

Bilsdale-railway-2.jpg

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

A couple of alternative plans to consider. The top is a variation of the original (Middleton-ish). Controlled from the front of the layout. It has a shorter fiddle yard but then again shorter sidings. The lower is derived from Masham - longer fiddle yard. plans.jpg.2ecd12cd1771488e7ad5b24697eca131.jpg

After much stroking of chins, cussing  and compromise we have a plan that may just work. Some issues remain like facing points meeting at baseboard joins and points motors avoiding the sub-frame. The engine shed was always going to be the deal breaker so it's been moved and is now accessed from the turntable - not unknown in NER region. I had to extend the main run to accommodate the slope up to the coal staiths and the sidings so the rotating fiddle arm will be replaced with an additional half board leading to a cassette fiddle yard at 90 degrees to the main boards. Well at least it can all be worked from one side now without banging heads against the attic ceiling beam. Next week I'll replace the wallpaper template with the cork sheets and begin track laying.

Bilsdale-r-10-web.jpg

bilsdale-r10-pic.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a conundrum, the plan is in direct contravention of good track laying practice with facing points crossing each of the baseboard joints. Looked a few topics on straight track over joints but can't find any examples of facing points. The curved points over the joint between baseboard 2 and 3 looks tricky. Anyone got any advice preferably with pics?

• RMweb Gold

This is a classic problem if you build the baseboards and then design the track layout. Much better the other way round!

But in this case, I don't think it will pose too many problems as you can simply move both crossovers to the right on the plan. The first crossover will need some change with one right hand point replaced by a Y and the other replaced by an RH curved turnout.

• Informative/Useful 1