LSL Blue Pullman HST

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I was looking on wnxx.com's site, 43046 and 43055 have been repainted into the "Midland Blue Pullman" scheme at Eastleigh which is terrific but am I wrong in saying that the blue looks a tad light?  Also, they also have been fitted with similar twin headlight package that's fitted to FGW and LNER's power cars.  Also, does anyone know which trailers have been painted up to match?

Edited by jools1959

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I was looking on wnxx.com's site, 43046 and 43055 have been repainted into the "Midland Blue Pullman" scheme at Eastleigh which is terrific but am I wrong in saying that the blue looks a tad light?  Also, they also have been fitted with similar twin headlight packager that's fitted to FGW and LNER's power cars.  Also, does anyone know which trailers have been painted up to match?

These are the coach numbers that have been included -  41176, 41108, 41162, 41059, 40801, 41182, 41169, 44078.  Are they all ex-firsts?

If you want to book a trip you can do so here - https://midlandpullman.com/

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, RFS said:

These are the coach numbers that have been included -  41176, 41108, 41162, 41059, 40801, 41182, 41169, 44078.  Are they all ex-firsts?

If you want to book a trip you can do so here - https://midlandpullman.com/

Apart from the TGS and Buffet, they are all trailer first's.  I had heard that the formation was going to be; PC, TF,TFKB, TF, TGS, PC in a attempt to mirror the original six car sets but I expect that another pair of TF's will be inserted to make a eight car set.

6 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Apart from the TGS and Buffet, they are all trailer first's.  I had heard that the formation was going to be; PC, TF,TFKB, TF, TGS, PC in a attempt to mirror the original six car sets but I expect that another pair of TF's will be inserted to make a eight car set.

The TGS is now a TGF.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Given the need to feed the Pullman passengers, I am surprised they have not included two catering vehicles in the set.

Apparently there is a second catering vehicle to go into it 

• Like 1

They have done a lovely recreation with that HST, I'm still waiting to see the interior though. I do however feel that, appearance wise, it would be improved by using power cars from the small batch that were fitted with buffers (now on the MML I believe?).

Stewart

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

They have done a lovely recreation with that HST, I'm still waiting to see the interior though. I do however feel that, appearance wise, it would be improved by using power cars from the small batch that were fitted with buffers (now on the MML I believe?).

Stewart

Although that would definitely look better especially with red buffer beams you would loose the paxman thrash as those two are VP185s rather than the sterile MTUs

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I never thought the buffer fitted HSTs looked anything but ungainly, it would not have made this set look any more like a proper Blue Pullman.

I wasn't sure about the livery when I saw some of the early press releases but now having seen the videos I think it looks quite accomplished.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, russ p said:

Although that would definitely look better especially with red buffer beams you would loose the paxman thrash as those two are VP185s rather than the sterile MTUs

I did read somewhere on here that the MTU engines do not like being shut down for long periods where as the Paxman models are happy with this. Given the nature of the charter business where the train will not be used day in day out the Paxman engined power cars will be a far better choice.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

I did read somewhere on here that the MTU engines do not like being shut down for long periods where as the Paxman models are happy with this. Given the nature of the charter business where the train will not be used day in day out the Paxman engined power cars will be a far better choice.

I also think it may have something to with the fact that there are a lot of enthusiasts in LSL too.

Such a shame the MTUs are so sterile and lacking in character as the engine is actually a direct decendent of the maybach in the hymek 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Legend said:

Smart looking train 

I hadn't been aware of this until today, but your description is spot-on. For the enthusiast movement, the original Blue Pullman sets have a lot of appeal, and this is a fair and utterly practical update. I just feel sorry for anyone launching anything in horrid Covid 2020. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Did they postpone April Fools Day this year because of Covid ?

I suppose it looks more convincing than the Triang one!

Much as I like the Blue Pullmans - when they were in the reversed InterCity livery my father used to commute on it when they from Bristol Parkway when he had to work in London for the week - they weren't economic even then.  I can't see it entering regular srevice, so is it for excursion use ?

Not convinced. A lesson in how to make the most successful diesel train ever look like the least successful one.

If Hornby do model it they will need to add the cab roof mounted headlight, they certainly don't have a buffet coach to deal with the four window 408xx type and they certainly won't be able to cope with the modified TGF vehicle.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I can't see it entering regular service, so is it for excursion use ?

Yes, there's a link in RFS's reply.  I think with the new lockdown, I'm pretty sure the first two will be postponed.

2 hours ago, russ p said:

I also think it may have something to with the fact that there are a lot of enthusiasts in LSL too.

Such a shame the MTUs are so sterile and lacking in character as the engine is actually a direct decendent of the maybach in the hymek 

Purely for practicality reasons, and the Paxman VP185 has no such pedigree- it was a totally new design created in the early 1990's for their two main markets, those being rail and marine. If they had used MTU fitted power cars they might struggle to find a HST shore supply at Fort William, Ayr or indeed anywhere else that a cold start may be required!

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Yes, there's a link in RFS's reply.  I think with the new lockdown, I'm pretty sure the first two will be postponed.

The launch one has already been re-routed, so instead of London to Manchester and back its now London-London circular via Chesterfield, Stockport and Nuneaton with no stop anywhere longer than a pathing stop or crew change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

The launch one has already been re-routed, so instead of London to Manchester and back its now London-London circular via Chesterfield, Stockport and Nuneaton with no stop anywhere longer than a pathing stop or crew change.

I would think this will be cancelled after yesterdays announcement, I cannot see how a luxury dining experience counts as work travel unless all the passengers are journalists.

• Agree 1