LSL Blue Pullman HST

TravisM

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Western Aviator said:

Is it possible that the only spare part they could get was yellow and they haven’t had time to paint it blue yet?

There is a suggestion that the top headlights don't conform to the standards

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Still looks good to me..last night at Bristol after an excellent day out..

51519760845_8514c31aed_c.jpg

41059 didn't look too good after a tagging attack the night before.

Edited by newbryford
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

41059 didn't look too good after a tagging attack the night before.

Indeed - messy.

A friend who works on the big railway said this looked like a job done at length with no fear of discovery..

51518071817_4807bace74_c.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Well it has distracted everyone from talking about the yellow square on the front and back of the train and how they got the specification of the high visibility light wrong.

I dont intend to test this theory, except perhaps if RMWeb wants to offer up some volunteers, but if placed in the path of an HST at 125, do you think one would notice the small shaded square or the apparently substandard light?

• RMweb Premium

Just curious as to when there became a need (and therefore an official spec) for a top headlight?

I was aware the 92s have one but the Crewe Railcam crowd seem to have (or had) a nightly sweep as to whether it'll be lit or not.

And of course, there is still a lot of locos etc that don't even have one.

Edited by keefer

25 minutes ago, keefer said:

Just curious as to when there became a need (and therefore an official spec) for a top headlight?

I was aware the 92s have one but the Crewe Railcam crowd seem to have (or had) a nightly sweep as to whether it'll be lit or not.

I could be wrong but I thought the 92s originally had them because they also work in Europe and the Channel Tunnel. And isn’t the light on the Blue Pullman HST fitted to allow it to run without a yellow end?

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, keefer said:

Its a requirement of EU interoperability regulations that the UK Government chose to incorporate into national legislation a few years ago. Before that only locos which worked internationally (i.e. went through the channel tunnel) actually needed one - though many rolling stock manufactures began fitting them to new builds long before that as it doesn't cost much and does bring safety benefits + extra redundancy.

However the key advantage now is that the provision of a top headlight - which is in full compliance with EU standards in terms of luminance and the dimensions of the 'triangle of lights' doesn't need to have a yellow panel on the end. A retrograde step in my view and I notice the likes of GWR, GA and Northern have all chose to retain it AND the EU compliment triangular headlight arrangement which should be applauded.

With respect to the LSL Midland Pulman - I wonder if the yellow panels are a response to the shunting accident which damaged a power car a few weeks ago. In a depot environment when things are generally being viewed at close quarters and under artificial light, the contrasting colour of the yellow might well be far more effective in preventing mishaps than the 'EU standard' lighting arrangement. which is optimised for viewing from a distance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

With respect to the LSL Midland Pullman - I wonder if the yellow panels are a response to the shunting accident which damaged a power car a few weeks ago. In a depot environment when things are generally being viewed at close quarters and under artificial light, the contrasting colour of the yellow might well be far more effective in preventing mishaps than the 'EU standard' lighting arrangement. which is optimised for viewing from a distance.

Hi Phil,

Then all the ends of all stock needs to be painted yellow at that rate.

In any case the incident was a propelling move and therefore the diver of the propelling locomotive had no view of the end of his train or indeed the power car that was damaged, he was taking hand signals from the shunter that had not reset the points. Should the power car have been fitted with buffers it would have been nothing more than a rough shunt for according to the download the the collision speed was below the threshold for a full inspection of the couplings.

Gibbo.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Phil,

Then all the ends of all stock needs to be painted yellow at that rate.

In any case the incident was a propelling move and therefore the diver of the propelling locomotive had no view of the end of his train or indeed the power car that was damaged, he was taking hand signals from the shunter that had not reset the points. Should the power car have been fitted with buffers it would have been nothing more than a rough shunt for according to the download the the collision speed was below the threshold for a full inspection of the couplings.

Gibbo.

As the event was not significant enough for RAIB involvement I had not seen any information in the public domain as to what had occurred.

Therefore I theorised the sudden emergence of a yellow panel MIGHT have something to do with the incident as there is no need for it on the mainline (unless it’s been realised the triangular lighting arrangement does not fully comply with the regs) 

7 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

As the event was not significant enough for RAIB involvement I had not seen any information in the public domain as to what had occurred.

Therefore I theorised the sudden emergence of a yellow panel MIGHT have something to do with the incident as there is no need for it on the mainline (unless it’s been realised the triangular lighting arrangement does not fully comply with the regs) 

Hi Phil,

Fair answer and I understand your reasoning for it, I think your thoughts about regulations may have more to do with the application of the panel than the collision in the yard. My experience of shunting is that that if visibility is a problem then the move stops until clarification of the situation is realised. I also know that the reason for the collision was that a set of points was not put back after the power car had been attached to the set, the following move being misrouted as a result. Painting everything yellow is not, and will not ever be a substitute for paying attention to what is going on trackside, either on the running lines or in yards.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Phil,

Fair answer and I understand your reasoning for it, I think your thoughts about regulations may have more to do with the application of the panel than the collision in the yard. My experience of shunting is that that if visibility is a problem then the move stops until clarification of the situation is realised. I also know that the reason for the collision was that a set of points was not put back after the power car had been attached to the set, the following move being misrouted as a result. Painting everything yellow is not, and will not ever be a substitute for paying attention to what is going on trackside, either on the running lines or in yards.

Gibbo.

Regrettably forgetting to swing a handpoint has long been a problem and is too easily done.  Also it is all well and good the Rule Book saying that a Driver must stop immediately he loses sight of the Shunter but without continuous tone radios that has always been a difficult Rule to apply in some places because of the need for at least two Shunters to enable one to keep an eye on the leading end of the shunt and another to relay the handsignals.  Hopefully nowadays they would in any case be using continuous tone radios for shunting especially when propelling something like an HST set where you need to be near the front end due to the shape of the nose which makes it very difficult to accurately judge where the end really is (a long known cause of damage to HSTs and other things - years ago one of my Drivers managed to hit a very solid stopblock with one on its delivery trip and the very first time it was taken into the carriage shed - it had to go straight back to works for lifting).

Yellow paint wouldn't make any difference to the problem of moving or shunting an HST set towards anything solid but properly equipped shunting staff might and suitable markers do.

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Regrettably forgetting to swing a handpoint has long been a problem and is too easily done.  Also it is all well and good the Rule Book saying that a Driver must stop immediately he loses sight of the Shunter but without continuous tone radios that has always been a difficult Rule to apply in some places because of the need for at least two Shunters to enable one to keep an eye on the leading end of the shunt and another to relay the handsignals.  Hopefully nowadays they would in any case be using continuous tone radios for shunting especially when propelling something like an HST set where you need to be near the front end due to the shape of the nose which makes it very difficult to accurately judge where the end really is (a long known cause of damage to HSTs and other things - years ago one of my Drivers managed to hit a very solid stopblock with one on its delivery trip and the very first time it was taken into the carriage shed - it had to go straight back to works for lifting).

Yellow paint wouldn't make any difference to the problem of moving or shunting an HST set towards anything solid but properly equipped shunting staff might and suitable markers do.

Hi Mike,

Fortunately the de-railer had been replaced in this particular incident, in which the power car was at the time stationary. I know this for he who was responsible for the incident spoke with me about how, why, what, and when, it all happened, so that we could consult his astrological chart to see if we could identify the planetary aspect that may have caused his momentary lapse in concentration.

Gibbo.

12 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Mike,

Fortunately the de-railer had been replaced in this particular incident, in which the power car was at the time stationary. I know this for he who was responsible for the incident spoke with me about how, why, what, and when, it all happened, so that we could consult his astrological chart to see if we could identify the planetary aspect that may have caused his momentary lapse in concentration.

Gibbo.

Perhaps you should have checked his biorhythm chart too, it may have been his triple critical day. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Mike,

Gibbo.

I doubt that quoting astrological charts would go down very well at a disciplinary hearing.   It's not one I ever heard although we did have a Signalman (in Wiltshire - it could hardly be anywhere else) who when asked to explain a particular error said that he thought the moon might have affected him - and he didn't mean moonlight.

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...