What happen to the Slaters PO wagon kits (4mm)

• RMweb Gold

Slaters 4mm stuff went to Coopercraft didn't it? I think it was said that the moulds had been retrieved and they wre in the process of re-introducing kits. Were the PO wagons part of that? I think POW sides are still churning them out?

POWsides have them. But I think they are made to order by Slaters.

Slaters 4mm kits don't include wheels or couplings any more. 

https://www.slatersplastikard.com/wagons/4mmWagons.php

I doubt that Coopercraft ever had them. I think he had some old stock which he got when he obtained items from C&L.

Jason

I don't think Coopercraft ever had the facility to produce the Slaters kits, just to market them as part of a reciprocal deal with Slaters kits, whereby Skaters could then concentrate on the 7mm market.

It would seem that the moulds, etc, stayed at Slaters who continued to supply POWsides. I don't think Coopercraft have produced any moulded kits for several years but have been able to supply outside sourced itrems such as etchings or any existing stock they got when they took over other brands such as Blacksmith.

There is an extensive topic on this subject;

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

The PO kits were available from POWsides for a while, not sure if that is still true?

edit to add: https://www.powsides.co.uk/index.php/4mm_scale_undecorated_kits//?k=:9:179230::0

That page would indicate they are all still available.

This note is on the home page (dated 17/9/20) :

We have a direct line of supply for Slater's 4mm scale private owner wagon parts and thus have no problem supplying 4mm P.O.wagon kits.

Perhaps they have an exclusive arrangement with Slater's regarding the PO kits ?

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Clearly POWSides are being supplied by Slaters with the 4 mm scale PO wagon kits, for them to decorate. What is curious is that I don't seem to be able to reach the linked listing from the home page - clicking through to Undecorated Kits from there doesn't give a listing. 

The linked listing includes the Midland 5 plank and 3 plank wagons that are of course now once more available directly from Slaters; I had some from POWSides, along with some PO kits, a couple of years ago when they were all listed on POWSides' old website.

So, it's still a bit of a mystery and more of a frustration to me, since I'd like some Gloucester 6-plank wagons...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Clearly POWSides are being supplied by Slaters with the 4 mm scale PO wagon kits, for them to decorate. What is curious is that I don't seem to be able to reach the linked listing from the home page - clicking through to Undecorated Kits from there doesn't give a listing. 

The linked listing includes the Midland 5 plank and 3 plank wagons that are of course now once more available directly from Slaters; I had some from POWSides, along with some PO kits, a couple of years ago when they were all listed on POWSides' old website.

So, it's still a bit of a mystery and more of a frustration to me, since I'd like some Gloucester 6-plank wagons...

Now, you've made me look on the POWsides site...   I'm like one of Pavlov's dogs, salivating at just the sight of PO kits.  I couldn't get the undecorated link to work either but I have bought the undecorated ex Slater kits from them in the last couple of years.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

You made me curious as well, I have dropped them an email will see if I get a response.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I got a quick reply. It’s  a website issue.

Hello Mark

Thank you for your message, there appears to be a problem with the 
webpage for the 4mm scale undecorated kits.
We have good stocks of the parts for the Slaters kits that we use for P 
O. wagons and these are all available as undecorated kits @£6.50 per kit 
(supplied without wheels & couplings) + £3.50 postage per order.

We can supply the following:-

4027 Midland 5-plank
4029 Midland 3-plank
4035 & 4036 Gloucester 6-plank
4044 Gloucester 5-plank
4058 & 4059 Gloucester 7-plank
4060 & 4061 1923 RCH 7-plank.

Please let us know your requirements by e-mail and I will then forward a 
PayPal invoice to you to cover the cost.

Regards

Robert Tivendale
Powsides

• Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...

This was the last one from a very poorly stocked stand at Nottingham Show years ago that I've just found in my kit stash. I've not seen any more since which is a pity because I wanted to build a few to add a little variety to my rake of HD versions.

Kind Regards, Cliff.

IMG_0017resize.JPG.726a725ae1c34fcd930d3c71f0fe9a6c.JPG

• Like 1

They do turn up on the second hand market unbuilt.

I picked a handful up from Hattons pre-owned a few weeks ago for a reasonable price. Seemed like a collection as there was loads. Well over fifty different ones with a few duplicates.

They flew off the website, they were literally disappearing as quick as I could add them to the basket. Got about four and a similar number of Cambrian. Mostly of a Welsh, Dean Forest, South Western bias.

The Slaters ones were

E Baily Malsters, Bristol  (the mispelling is correct according to a photo)

United, Swansea

Thomas Pascoe, Swansea

Caerbryn Colliery, 

Jason

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 17/12/2020 at 16:29, Steamport Southport said:

I picked a handful up from Hattons pre-owned a few weeks ago for a reasonable price. Seemed like a collection as there was loads. Well over fifty different ones with a few duplicates.

They flew off the website, they were literally disappearing as quick as I could add them to the basket. Got about four and a similar number of Cambrian. Mostly of a Welsh, Dean Forest, South Western bias.

The Slaters ones were

United, Swansea

Thomas Pascoe, Swansea

Caerbryn Colliery, 

Jason

have you any spare instructions i could borrow please ?

On 17/12/2020 at 14:07, Dubloseven said:

This was the last one from a very poorly stocked stand at Nottingham Show years ago that I've just found in my kit stash. I've not seen any more since which is a pity because I wanted to build a few to add a little variety to my rake of HD versions.

Kind Regards, Cliff.

IMG_0017resize.JPG.726a725ae1c34fcd930d3c71f0fe9a6c.JPG

have you any spare instructions i could borrow please ? 

On 17/12/2020 at 16:29, Steamport Southport said:

The Slaters ones were

United, Swansea

Thomas Pascoe, Swansea

Caerbryn Colliery, 

Jason

has anyone got any instructions for any of the kits i could have please im in desperate needs of the 4036 instructions and 4041 instructions please this will help massively 

On 01/12/2020 at 22:12, Compound2632 said:

has anyone got any instructions for any of the kits i could have please im in desperate needs of the 4036 instructions and 4041 instructions please this will help massively 

• RMweb Premium

If memory serves me correctly, they are pretty much all the same, put a side and end together, repeat for the other side and end and then join the two halves, fit the floor. Fit bearings into the axle boxes, fit one solebar, fit the wheels and fit the other solebar. Add the brakes, either single sided or both according to period, add brake lever(s) and buffers. Couplings as required.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

If memory serves me correctly, they are pretty much all the same, put a side and end together, repeat for the other side and end and then join the two halves, fit the floor. Fit bearings into the axle boxes, fit one solebar, fit the wheels and fit the other solebar. Add the brakes, either single sided or both according to period, add brake lever(s) and buffers. Couplings as required.

Other sequences are available - I've always preferred to start with solebars to floor. But whichever way you go, there's always a bit of faff filing or trimming the floor to fit.

Just had a look. Yes they are all virtually the same.

A very basic isometric drawing of a different type of wagon* and a handful of basic instructions which I could probably type in a few minutes if wanted.

*Drawing is a Midland 3 Plank rather than PO.

spacer.png

That's the drawing. As you can see, very basic. Photo found on line from one of the auction sites.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1