What happen to the Slaters PO wagon kits (4mm)

Okay here's the instructions. Ignoring bits about PO wagons and painting which is generic anyway.

1.  Take the sides and ends of the wagon and carefully clean up the bevelled edges if necessary with a sharp craft knife, then glue together.

2.   Fit the floor/underframe unit inside the body shell and glue in place.

3.   End door version only: Clean up the end door hinge gear and glue to the inside top edge of the end door.

4.   Fit the bearings in the axleboxes, then glue the solebars to the underframe and the brake levers to the solebars. Allow to set then fit wheels and brake gear, checking that the brake blocks do not foul the wheel rims. 

N.B. When originally built this type of wagon would have had brake gear on one side only.

5.   Slip buffer collars onto buffer shanks then insert shanks into buffer bodies. Apply adhesive between collars and bodies and press firmly home.

6.  Fit couplings of your choice. (List of obsolete couplings)

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Onehalfpint13 said:

I need original  4036 and 4041 kits instructions 

Why not tell us what 4036 and 4041 are - and was it really necessary to ask the question six times . . . . . . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Why not tell us what 4036 and 4041 are - and was it really necessary to ask the question six times . . . . . . 

i was replying to individual people to ask them if they had any ?

, they are the p/o wagons 4036 is the Gloucester wagon and 4041 is the charles roberts 7 plank wagon

Edited by Onehalfpint13
read the question wrong

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Onehalfpint13 said:

they don't have any p/o vans but they do have MR 10 ton covered van , MR 10 ton covered fruit van, MR 8 ton Box Van, 

Indeed. But if you follow the instructions as quoted by @Steamport Southport, you're in danger of running into trouble with the Midland kits (excepting the 16'6" vans and the brake):

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Onehalfpint13 said:

thank you , i need a pdf file of the instructions for the 2 wagons 

Why? The information already given in this topic (and in my blow-by-blow account linked above) is sufficient. I think it's already been made clear that the Slaters instruction sheet is pretty sketchy and generic. What hidden mysteries are you expecting to be revealed?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

Why? The information already given in this topic (and in my blow-by-blow account linked above) is sufficient. I think it's already been made clear that the Slaters instruction sheet is pretty sketchy and generic.

ok thanks for your help 

i keep an eye out for the 4mm coaches to come back on the market 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

This looks like a PO van to me!

image.png.cd7614a68a82a935216e2df1ab7b4651.png

Like it says on the box, it's a wagon. 

The evolution of the term 'van' is interesting. In the 19th century, and perhaps for the first few decades of the 20th, a wagon without a roof was an open wagon and one with a roof was a covered goods wagon. The term van was only used for special vehicles, such as those for the conveyance of fruit, meat, milk, gunpowder, or road vehicles. I suspect that the plebby use of van to describe any covered goods wagon may be traceable to the Great Western's wagon diagram book (c. 1905?) with its O-series diagrams for open goods wagons and V-series for covered goods wagons.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Nick Holliday said:

This looks like a PO van to me!

image.png.cd7614a68a82a935216e2df1ab7b4651.png

But the instructions for those and the MR wagons are different as they are more complex.

They also made PO tank wagons as well. But all of those weren't mentioned in the question.

PS. I haven't covered the LNER wagons nor 7mm ones either. I have no idea what a Hudson Rigga Skip Wagon is  :prankster:

Jason

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

But the instructions for those and the MR wagons are different as they are more complex.

They also made PO tank wagons as well. But all of those weren't mentioned in the question.

I think I have at one time or another made examples of all the Slater's 4 mm scale wagon kits with the exception of that salt wagon. I wouldn't say that apart from the NER 20 ton hopper, the tar tank wagon, and the Midland and NER brake vans, there were any fundamental differences in building them: one floor, two solebars, two sides, two ends, four hoops for the outside ends of the buffer guides, four turned steel buffer heads, brake gear to choice and a roof for the Midland covered wagons. 

The only point on which a bit of research might be needed is if modelling one of the Gloucester end door wagons with single-sided brakes. I'm fairly sure that these had the brakes on the side with the end door to the left, so that the brake lever was at the fixed end. I don't think this is a point covered in the instructions.

I recommend @Onehalfpint13 looks at the instructions for a Mousa Models 3D-printed kit wagon.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I recommend @Onehalfpint13 looks at the instructions for a Mousa Models 3D-printed kit wagon.

I haven't bought any of the £D printed kits, here's the instructions I got for some of the etched brass ones:

image.png.2dc2e6b8db52ac37519e9df217cccb9a.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

I meant the instructions were different.

The Slaters Midland wagons had more information on the actual wagons ISTR. Been a long time since I built any, but I think it was a sheet with information on all of the MR wagons and had stuff like numbering, liveries, etc.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I meant the instructions were different.

The Slaters Midland wagons had more information on the actual wagons ISTR. Been a long time since I built any, but I think it was a sheet with information on all of the MR wagons and had stuff like numbering, liveries, etc.

Yes, I'm with you there. I had a rummage just now and turned up the instructions for the Gloucester 6-plank wagons - the same set do for the fixed and end door versions - which has a short paragraph about the RCH 1887 specification. But the instructions are the same and (as noted previously) the diagram shows the Midland dropside wagon.

What it is guys I’m searching for these instructions for a friend of mine who works at slaters and they are wanting to reproduce the wagons but unfortunately the instructions went to mr Dunn

so with out them having to retype them all out again this will save time and get them back on the market quicker 

@Compound2632

Edited by Onehalfpint13

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Onehalfpint13 said:

And also I’ve heard they wanting to bring back the printed private owner wagon as well so 4041 instructions would be a massive help for them to get load of the printed wagon back on the market 

@Compound2632

One of the mysteries of Slaters reintroduction of their kits has been the fact that they did not still have copies of the instruction sheets!

Their getting back into pre-printed wagons is interesting, as it puts them in no doubt friendly competition with POWSides, who have been using Slaters kits for their pre-printed wagons for many years and for some time have been the only source of supply of the kits.

50 minutes ago, Onehalfpint13 said:

What it is guys I’m searching for these instructions for a friend of mine who works at slaters and they are wanting to reproduce the wagons but unfortunately the instructions went to mr Dunn

so with out them having to retype them all out again this will save time and get them back on the market quicker 

@Compound2632

Maybe try POWsides?

The couple of kits I've got from them were still in Slaters packaging with the instructions....

As I said. I've not got any means of copying them. But If Slaters want a copy I'll swap for a Toplight.  :)

Jason

49 minutes ago, Onehalfpint13 said:

@Compound2632

At least the mystery has been solved.  I was wondering whether Mr Coopercraft had found a couple of hundred sprues down the back of his sofa, and wanted to pass them off as Slater's kits!

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Like it says on the box, it's a wagon. 

The evolution of the term 'van' is interesting. In the 19th century, and perhaps for the first few decades of the 20th, a wagon without a roof was an open wagon and one with a roof was a covered goods wagon. The term van was only used for special vehicles, such as those for the conveyance of fruit, meat, milk, gunpowder, or road vehicles. I suspect that the plebby use of van to describe any covered goods wagon may be traceable to the Great Western's wagon diagram book (c. 1905?) with its O-series diagrams for open goods wagons and V-series for covered goods wagons.

The Lancashire & Yorkshire continued to call all of them Covered Wagons until grouping.

Where does the line get drawn between cattle wagons and cattle vans? Presumably the passenger stock rating of the latter.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

4 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Maybe try POWsides?

The couple of kits I've got from them were still in Slaters packaging with the instructions....

As I said. I've not got any means of copying them. But If Slaters want a copy I'll swap for a Toplight.  :)

Jason

i can not possible say on that subject that would be between you and slaters 

• Like 1