British Transport Police vehicles in the mid 1960's

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Hello

A bit of casual research here at the moment, can anyone tell me what vehicles were in use by the British Transport Police in approximately the mid 1960's please, particularly London area?

Google searching is coming up with a lot of non specific stuff that is not that helpful. 

Many thanks!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh, good call. I didn't think of that embarrassingly. 

Note a blue light fitted Mk2 Jag in some photos too so that give me a couple of ideas, thanks!

• Like 1

A bit ot, but for what it is worth:

When I was working with Cambs Police in the '80s, I had cause to visit BTP in Cambridge, at the railway station. Talking to the (sole) PC on duty - for the whole patch, he covered everywhere N & E of Cambridge, and halfway down to London (Bishops Stortford I think). Not a small patch - and his transport was the train. No wonder BTP was scarcely scene. Much later, when I started working on the Underground in the 00s, I was amazed at the number of them that I saw.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
typos
  • Like 1

The only vehicles from the mid 60s I have details if were these

c1962         399PRO                                    Humber Hawk    black    Saloon            BTP     London                   

plain black                                                                   

1966        JLE 69D                                    Ford Zephyr 6 Mk.III        Saloon            BTP Birmingham                

Not London but their may have been similar there.  Plain black with  a bell on the front bumper                                                                            

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1