Painting & Lining

Good Afternoon All, 

With several models on the go/getting close to the painting stage, some of which will need lining I thought I'd start a thread for some comments/thoughts for currently available tools for the job - I'm particularly interested in peoples views/reccomendations on air brushes and Lining Pens/Sets.

I appreciate it's a bit on an open ended question, and everyone will have their own opinions but figured it would be a good topic for discussion.

I have a basic setup at the moment with a small air compressor and PremiAir G35 Airbrush which I have successfully used on many models, mainly using a mix of Humbrol/Pheonix paints but I feel this is something that would now benefit from being upgraded.

I've read through Warrens fantastic thread and Ian Rathbones book both of which point to a Badger and/or Iwatta airbrushes and both strongly reccomend the Haff 135 pen which currently has been discontinued, so I'd be interested to hear what other people have used as an alternative.

I mainly plan to model BR Mixed Traffic an 0 gauge.

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Josh

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Hi Josh,

It might have been better to place your topic here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/29-weathering-painting-transfers/

I suspect you'll get a more informed set of opinions there. I could be wrong, of course. It has been known.

Only a personal view but I do think that more people read this board than the weathering/painting/transfers board; however those that do read that board are perhaps more knowledgeable on painting.  Decisions, decisions..... :laugh:

Edited by polybear

• RMweb Gold

Hello Josh,

I think that DT asks a very pertinent question (or two) here. The PremiAir G35 is a good all-round airbrush and in its time was good value for money. Replacing it now with an equivalent (it’s no longer made) would probably set you back £60 to £70, so if you want something that you perceive as better, then you will need to put your hands further into your pocket.

If you are working in O Gauge and planning to paint as well as weather, then you’ll need something that holds a decent quantity of paint and can handle the coverage of large-ish areas. My recommendation (that’s what you’re asking for) would be something with a .35mm or .5mm needle/nozzle and a 5ml or 7ml cup. If you’re used to the G35 then a dual action, top- or side-feed would suit your needs, I think.

What does that mean? Your choices include Badger, Iwata, Harder and Steenbeck and Sparmax, all of which have resellers in this country who also stock spares, something that is important. There are others, of course, but these are the ones that I would put my money on.

If you really want to replace your G35 then I think you will need to think carefully about exactly what it is you need its successor to do that it can’t do.

For what it might be worth, my choice would be an Iwata Eclipse SBS with a couple of 30ml or 60ml side-feed bottles, but I am biased because that is what I have been happy using for the last 8 years.

Your choice of compressors is probably even greater in scope than airbrushes. I’d recommend an AS186 (with an air tank) or AS18-2 (without an air tank) compressor as the cheap option BUT, their recent output has been less than reliable in my experience. You will get a reliable machine from Sparmax with plenty of spares available from UK resellers, and you could spend lots of money on an Iwata. What you should be looking for is

·       Pressure from 10psi to 40psi

·       Adjustable pressure valve

·       Pressure gauge

·       Moisture trap

·       Automatic on/off

My recommendation would be a Sparmax Zeta.

I will be absolutely no help to you whatsoever with lining pens because I have never used one!

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I too recommend the Iwata Eclipse SBS, I’ve used it for just about everything, from painting a tiny HOf loco, painting and weathering in OO, to weathering G scale locos and track (spraying session lasted four hours).

I started with one of the cheap package deals many traders sell;  when I needed something better I wasn’t sure what to get. I had a long phone chat with a helpful lady at Airbrushes.com (no connection, just satisfied customer)who talked me through the various options and I ended up with an airbrush and compressor which clearly has been the right set up for me.  What did surprise me was how long we chatted about compressors; I followed her recommendation to get one which could run for a long time without overheating. Wise choice as my cheap compressor got too hot and packed up in a painting session.

• RMweb Premium

I've got one of the ubiquitous AS186 compressors, currently available under differing brand labels for about £75 - I got mine several years ago from RDG Tools and have been pleased with it, though it is certainly far from being in daily use.  I do like the look of the Sparmax Zeta recommended by Mick, but it is nearly three times the price and until/unless my AS186 goes wrong I've really no escuse to get one.

Airbrushes?  Other than the cheapos I got with the compressor I've got a trigger handled one by Sparmas (GP35) and a conventional handled one from Harder and Steenbeck, the Evolution Silverline 2-in-1.  As its name indicates, this latter brush comes with needles and nozzels enabling it to be used as either a .2mm or a .4mm brush which I think will be quite useful.  I anticpate using the 2mm spray for some light weathering Mick Bonwick style - see the Missenden website https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/virtual-missenden-weathering-session/

:good:

DT