Forsinard and the Far North

class26

Back scenes now mounted , a few photos below. The next job will be the apply static grass to blend in with the back scenes. Not sure anyone does heather static grass though !  

DSCN0649.JPG

DSCN0641.JPG

DSCN0651.JPG

DSCN0652.JPG

• Like 17

Static heather!? Good luck with it and I’ll be curious to see how you get on. What will you use? The backscene really had made quite a difference. I’m really looking forward to following your build. You have made a really promising start. Really looks the part. 

8 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

Static heather!? Good luck with it and I’ll be curious to see how you get on. What will you use? The backscene really had made quite a difference. I’m really looking forward to following your build. You have made a really promising start. Really looks the part. 

I should say I am totally new to static grass having never used it before so it is going to be a big learning curve and no doubt a few mistakes on the way. I will probably make a small diorama first to experiment with various techniques before letting loose on the main layout.

I have previously bought some heather tufts but you do not get much for your money and  I will need vast amounts requiring a second mortgage no doubt so I need to find an alternate solution to represent heather .    

Also time to give the Forsinard side of the layout some attention.  

Edited by class26

I’m afraid I can’t offer advice as I’ve never used it either. I will look forward to seeing how you get on. I’m planning on a learning diorama first too. There’s a little scene that I’ve always fancied having a go at so perfect for a practice piece.

I’ll look forward to seeing how you get on.

Good luck with it.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

You really have captured the feel of the north of Scotland in building your layout  I like the broken snow fences and the derelict building  just like you see alongside the line.look forward to seeing more thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lmsforever said:

You really have captured the feel of the north of Scotland in building your layout  I like the broken snow fences and the derelict building  just like you see alongside the line.look forward to seeing more thanks.

I’d just like to echo this. Your layout is oozing atmosphere already.

Lovely stuff.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

Looks good.

Apologies if the answer is in the thread, but where did you source the pictures for the backscene/get it created?  Fairly obviously the north of Scotland!

Hello Mark,

I didn`t` say specifically up thread the source of the backscenes. I had hoped to make a journey up to the far north to take some photos (any excuse) but my patience gave up after a year of lock down so I purchased the two commercial images on line from Alamy. I just searched Google for "Flow Country images , high res" and then there are numerous photos to choose from. I did this in consultation with a printer in Lincoln (not so far from where I live) and he took the images, played around with them by stretching then reversing and then repeating in original form. It is obvious when you are in the train shed how it has been achieved but in photos the sleight of hand is hidden (I hope). 

The printer is "Lincoln and Copy Centre", Clifton St Lincoln. That`s a few shops from Digi Trains who are also on Clifton St

Edited by class26
  • Like 2

A further update. I decided to add  Helmsdale as can be seen in the photos below (well, I had to find a proper use for the Peco Signal Cabin!). It is a bit of a compromise and the station building is actually the Golspie building from Pop Up Designs as I didn`t fancy scratch building but I hope it will suffice, the roof needs finishing yet.  I have also rationalised the goods yard to fit the available space but I hope it is still recognisable as Helmsdale.  The backscene is the same as that for the Flow Country but I hope it will pass muster. It is far from finished and there are rough edges, especially the rear of the platform ! 

DSCN0699.JPG

DSCN0701.JPG

DSCN0686.JPG

DSCN0688.JPG

DSCN0687.JPG

Edited by class26
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Thats looking very nice the buildings are exceilient you have captured Forsinard so well the ground cover looks right as well. Have you had a look at Pop Up  buildings they have excellent kits of buildings on this and other lines I have built several now and am very pleased with them. 

3 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Thats looking very nice the buildings are exceilient you have captured Forsinard so well the ground cover looks right as well. Have you had a look at Pop Up  buildings they have excellent kits of buildings on this and other lines I have built several now and am very pleased with them. 

Thanks

Yes, I have looked at Popup. The white cottage in Forsinard is a Popup kit and the goods shed in Helmsdale also is plus the station building at Helmsdale (actually Golspie but I couldnt bring myself to scratch build ! )

• Like 2

15 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Well the 'snow' has melted and the grass looks excellent, the 'join' behind the white house in pic 3 is perfect. Congrats.

manna

Thanks, it took some trial and error to match the grass colour to the backscene, the base grass colour eventually used is War World Scenics Winter grass 2mm (their autumn being way too green for a northern setting such as Forsinard)  and then a selection of their 4 mm winter, 6 mm dead grass plus 6 mm & 12 mm meadow but I find it difficult to get the 12 mm to stand up so have largely stayed with the 6 mm. The Forsinard part isn`t finished yet from the static grass aspect, i need to make lots of tufts before tackling the opposite side of the layout.

Edited by class26
  • Like 5

Been following this project with interest. Some really good modelling. 

Your scenics are coming on really well, and captures the region, very well in my opinion.

Keep up the great work.

Regards Jeff

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

A few images of Forsinard taken earlier this week by Jools1959. Static grass  more or less complete although I will add in places some longer grass once I can get it to stand up better. My War World Scenics applicator is ok up to 4 mm but any longer it seems to struggle which is disappointing.   Fortunately my eye sight is such that I don`t really notice the longer grass lying flat unless I look very closely and I suppose it could have been flattened in a storm ?  I hope to remedy the grass situation over the winter, perhaps with a more powerful applicator and would be grateful if anyone has any tips. I am new to static grass and a little befuddled by it all. Some say voltage doesn`t matter whilst others swear by a higher voltage so if anyone can shed light please do advise.

image0 (1).jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Edited by class26
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

This really is starting to look absolutely fantastic. Well done. I’ve just made a start on the greenery on my own layout so I am watching with a very keen eye. Forsinard is very inspirational and a joy to watch it develop. Really does look the part.

• Thanks 1

On 28/08/2021 at 07:53, class26 said:

A few images of Forsinard taken earlier this week by Jools1959. Static grass  more or less complete although I will add in places some longer grass once I can get it to stand up better. My War World Scenics applicator is ok up to 4 mm but any longer it seems to struggle which is disappointing.   Fortunately my eye sight is such that I don`t really notice the longer grass lying flat unless I look very closely and I suppose it could have been flattened in a storm ?  I hope to remedy the grass situation over the winter, perhaps with a more powerful applicator and would be grateful if anyone has any tips. I am new to static grass and a little befuddled by it all. Some say voltage doesn`t matter whilst others swear by a higher voltage so if anyone can shed light please do advise.

image0 (1).jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

I use a noch applicator and find it great choose your grass with care cheap is not good I use hair spray for the base find it works well and helps when overspraying for detaling  areas. Do a trial before doing it on the layout also be prepared to mix fibres to get the right finnish.Good luck  Chris