Forsinard and the Far North

class26

2 hours ago, David Bell said:

Nigel ,

You are making a cracking job with this.

I leafed back through to see what your snow fences are made of and see they are wooden so the powders should work a treat.

Cheers

David

Thanks David,

The snow fences are made from Scale Model Scenery sleepers intended for a barrow crossing and are real wood. I will be trying your method as soon as I get hold of the correct powders.

• Like 1

Time to report a change to the layout. I am not one who plans in huge detail a layout and then builds it. Rather I have an idea or two , (usually requiring more space than at my disposal) and then try to make it work. With the present layout whilst I always knew I was doing Forsinard I wasn`t sure how I was going to operate it and as previous posts will show decided to add Helmsdale as a second passing station. This turned out to be too much of a compromise scenically as it was being squashed into one corner of the layout in order to keep as much space as possible to depict the Flow Country. I realised that I wasn`t really going to use the sidings at Helmsdale and so a few weeks ago I decided it had to go. I tend to run the layout as a roundy roundy and the central section (yet to be built) will be a terminus / scenic storage area. 

In the place of Helmsdale  I decided to include one of the single track stations on the line, just for scenic interest really and as the backscenes (already in place) are of the magnificent Flow Country so Altnabreac was decided on.  Far from complete and the station building definitely not correct (is a Pop Up kit of Golspie station) but will have to suffice until the actual one gets scratch built.

The final photo attempts to depict the track leading from Altnabreac station. All the bare space will be given the static treatment , probably next year now.

Below are a few photos taken today of the progress so far -  

DSCN0861.JPG

DSCN0861.JPG

DSCN0877.JPG

DSCN0880.JPG

DSCN0873.JPG

Edited by class26
  • Like 17

1 minute ago, jools1959 said:

Are you planning to do anymore before the dark nights draw in :locomotive:

The next job is to lay the track for the central section , make sure it is all electrically up to scratch etc which I think will take me up to the spring of 22. Once the temperature drops I tend to spend less time out in the shed, maybe a few running sessions but the scenic work needs lots of time. I might do some scratch building back in the house though.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, class26 said:

The next job is to lay the track for the central section , make sure it is all electrically up to scratch etc which I think will take me up to the spring of 22. Once the temperature drops I tend to spend less time out in the shed, maybe a few running sessions but the scenic work needs lots of time. I might do some scratch building back in the house though.

Could you not take the central section indoors and work on it when the weather gets too cold or will Leila have something to say about that :nono::nono::nono: 

4 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Could you not take the central section indoors and work on it when the weather gets too cold or will Leila have something to say about that :nono::nono::nono: 

Haven`t thought that far ahead yet. All depends on how time pans out. I think I need to do the central section "in situ" really though. 

On 16/11/2020 at 21:57, jhb171achil said:

The old stone cottage with the ivy all over it - what's the origin of that? On my Irish layout I'd like something like that, as such structures are very plentiful in rural Ireland!

I stumbled over this site recently and thought it might be useful for you. 

https://braesidemodels.co.uk/shop/

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Nigel, 

This really is a fantastic piece of work. Very very nice. I was hoping for an update soon and it was well worth the anticipation. 
Great work. If my efforts look half as good I’ll be happy. Thanks for the update.

Andy

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Robert Shrives said:

The scorched grass looks very good and I will have to search it out  for my N gauge project, great phots of a lovely layout - here is to warmer days. 

Robert 

Thanks Robert,

I have used War World Scenics scorched grass .2 & 4 ml. After a little experimenting I arrived at probably the best method which is to apply a base of meadow grass giving a yellowy colour then on top with the layering spray apply the scorched grass in various quantities. Maybe I haven`t allowed enough of the yellowy colour to be seen ? I`ll go over a few parts tomorrow for a little more contrast  i also tried it also the other way round (scorched first them the straw colour on top) but this didn`t seem to work as well.  On the river banks dead grass and winter grass is used. Anything else seemed just too green for this far north.

• Thanks 1

Wow this just oozes atmosphere- you have a great eye for colour. I especially love the gravel road crossing the line - the colour and texture reminds me of tracks like that around here (NE Scotland). 

M

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1