Forsinard and the Far North

class26

1 hour ago, Robert Shrives said:

Just ordered some 1mm scorched and 2mm patchy, I have some others as well so hopefully will be able to experiment on Christmas day after putting sprouts on at 06.00 ..

Robert    

Good luck with it Robert ! I look forward to seeing the results.

Edited by class26

9 hours ago, SHerr said:

Out of interest, what have you used for the river bank stones/rocks? the size and mixture looks just right.

I used this

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/scale-model-scenery-br005-oo-staffordshire-pink-blend-1-3mm-200ml-11384-p.asp

from Scale model Scenery. I sieved it all to remove the smaller stones which were then used on a another part of the layout 

SMS have a great range in many areas. I was going to use Woodland Scenics but their pebbles are just one colour , too bland really. Its well worth going through Scale Model Scenery`s  entire range at the start of a layout

Edited by class26
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, JBM37404 said:

This is great work, love the colours on the open stretch, building an N Highland Mainline layout myself in the new year plenty of inspiration found on your thread.

J

Will look out for your layout, i did contemplate the Highland mainline a few years ago. Always fancied a HST thrashing through the scenery !

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, class26 said:

Will look out for your layout, i did contemplate the Highland mainline a few years ago. Always fancied a HST thrashing through the scenery !

That's it, full length HSTs and Sleepers plus the freight swing it for the HML for me. The Far North though is a great line. I love the desolation as it winds its way through the harsh but changing scenes on its full length.

J

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JBM37404 said:

That's it, full length HSTs and Sleepers plus the freight swing it for the HML for me. The Far North though is a great line. I love the desolation as it winds its way through the harsh but changing scenes on its full length.

J

Have you decided which part of the HML you will model ?

2 minutes ago, class26 said:

Have you decided which part of the HML you will model ?

I'm going fiction for somewhere in the Tomatin area. Pretending that a small freight branch goes off and some sidings feature. Hopefully a viaduct of some sorts at one end that the single line will sweep over with some cant on the track to give it mainline feel. 

3 hours ago, JBM37404 said:

I'm going fiction for somewhere in the Tomatin area. Pretending that a small freight branch goes off and some sidings feature. Hopefully a viaduct of some sorts at one end that the single line will sweep over with some cant on the track to give it mainline feel. 

Good location with the viaduct, PW siding and passing loop. Fancy that myself !

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, class26 said:

I used this

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/scale-model-scenery-br005-oo-staffordshire-pink-blend-1-3mm-200ml-11384-p.asp

from Scale model Scenery. I sieved it all to remove the smaller stones which were then used on a another part of the layout 

MSS have a great range in many areas. I was going to use Woodland Scenics but their pebbles are just one colour , too bland really. Its well worth going through Scale Model Scenery`s  entire range at the start of a layout

Thanks, that’s interesting- I wouldn’t have thought of them for ballast/gravel.

1 hour ago, SHerr said:

Thanks, that’s interesting- I wouldn’t have thought of them for ballast/gravel.

Lot`s of little things on the layout are from this company. the snow fences (barrow crossing cut up), platform edges, lineside fencing  etc. 

Seeing Blair Atholl when I was a teenager shaped My modelling interests and my last layout was HML based - sadly my space was too limited to do it justice and layout is long gone. I’m sure you’re aware but there are loads of great books from past few years with evocative HML images over 1980 - present day periods.  I wish I had access to such great works when I modelled this area- if you’re not aware I can list some of better ones.

10 hours ago, Matt said:

Seeing Blair Atholl when I was a teenager shaped My modelling interests and my last layout was HML based - sadly my space was too limited to do it justice and layout is long gone. I’m sure you’re aware but there are loads of great books from past few years with evocative HML images over 1980 - present day periods.  I wish I had access to such great works when I modelled this area- if you’re not aware I can list some of better ones.

Got a couple of books, also spent some time up there over the years, also some good stuff on photographers albums online for reference. Was into following 37s for some time in the 90s and that took me to Inverness a fair bit.

Edited by JBM37404

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, David Bell said:

Hi Nigel,

I drove through Forsinard yesterday and I have to say you have really captured the look of the area so well.

Cheers

David

Hello David,

Thank you, I am jealous ! I was last up in the Far North in 2017 taking photos for the layout, riding the line and intended to return later to take further photos for the backscenes but of course the world changed slightly in early 2020 so , as seen above I had to purchase professional images for this purpose. I am hoping to get up this year when the weather improves and the days are longer but of course it`s a fair drive from down here but one that I really enjoy, especially going north !

Best wishes,

Nigel  

This is one of the best highland layouts I’ve ever seen . I spent a few days up there mid 80s as a kid with my first ever class 37 hauled trains . Later I revisited the line with 156s .

Your layout looks perfectly baron and bleak and really captures the loneliness of the line. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1