Forsinard and the Far North

class26

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, class26 said:

... and the adjacent train that had been waiting can now depart for Inverness

That sequence begs the question whether the train would be allowed to depart the station directly from the goods yard? It would be interesting to know what the signalling/opereating arrangements would have been.

David

1 hour ago, Kylestrome said:

That sequence begs the question whether the train would be allowed to depart the station directly from the goods yard? It would be interesting to know what the signalling/opereating arrangements would have been.

David

I think Mr Ben Alder of this parish is the man to shed light on this as he is the fount of all knowledge when it comes to the Far North and Thurso in particular . i don`t know how the yard and station was actually operated as the signal box was removed before the last war, perhaps one engine "in steam" but this is a case of rule no1 i`m afraid

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

This is always one of my favourite layouts on here. I don’t blame you for adding some playability. It’s great having fantastic scenery but you need some operational interest. If I hadn’t added my timber yard then my own layout would simply be passing trains. 

Exciting development on the Heljan 26 front for you with the imminent release of the car head light fitted 26s. They should use your layout for the promo shots! 

• Thanks 1

On 03/01/2023 at 14:31, meanach said:

This is always one of my favourite layouts on here. I don’t blame you for adding some playability. It’s great having fantastic scenery but you need some operational interest. If I hadn’t added my timber yard then my own layout would simply be passing trains. 

Exciting development on the Heljan 26 front for you with the imminent release of the car head light fitted 26s. They should use your layout for the promo shots! 

That`s why i added Thurso in the first place, for the operational possibilities . I would dearly love to add Georgemas as there the operational possibilities are excellent but it is a nightmare to do properly.  The Thurso branch goes off at right angles to the arrival main line  which would be ok if it was at either end of the station but it`s more or less in the middle . I have spent hours and hours with old track laying it out and trying to make it work AND look right. Even the road bridge, which normally would serve as a scenic break  is in the wrong place being too central. I am determined to do Georgemas but have concluded that I am going to need a larger shed than my already large shed ! 

As for the operation of Thurso I do have some intersting information courtesy of Mr Ben Alder. The branch it seems normally operated as "one engine in steam" but in busy times a second train could proceed from Georgemas under special arrangements using a tablet. 

Yes, looking forward to the new Heljan 26`s but probably more looking forward to Sutton`s Highland 24`s.  

Edited by class26
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, meanach said:

Yes the Sutton SC 24s will be contender for model of the year no doubt. It would be great if they’d produce the ultimate class 26… preferably this decade !

Yes the Sutton SC 24s will be contender for model of the year no doubt. It would be great if they’d produce the ultimate class 26… preferably this decade !

Well, Phil`s company is known as Sulzer Type 2`s which of course includes 26 & 27`s

• RMweb Premium

…and in O gauge please! I did speak to Phil and he is considering O gauge so I have my fingers crossed!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Today an interloper was found heading north. The stock that usually works the Kyle tourist excursions in the summer months headed north at Dingwall and is seen here waiting at Forsinard for the path onto Georgemas. As far as I know this stock never made its way up the FNL (unless anyone knowns different) but rule no 1 applies in this instance     

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

Edited by class26
  • Like 17