The DDR Reichsbahn photos of Dick Lawrence

rekoboy

A German acquaintance pointed me in the direction of the historic section of the website Drehscheibe Online, and pointed me especially  to Dick Lawrence's photos of the 1970s and 80s Deutsche Bundesbahn and Deutsche Reichsbahn and their steam locos, latterly often around Saalfeld an der Saale. The photos are staggeringly good and are not only a historic record of the DB and DR in action but also snapshots of E German life on and around the railway. Utterly absorbing!

https://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/read.php?099,9059379

Edited by rekoboy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Many thanks for the link.

That will amuse me for a good few hours.

Nice to see the 01 05s still looking very well kept in 1978.

I did get the odd trip behind them on the Berlin-Leipzig run a few years before that.

Some good shots with the breakdown train in the background show a wealth of interesting railway bits and bobs that fascinate me.

For those who are not aware of the entry requirements the visa and daily money exchange details are worthy of note.

When was diplomatic recognition established? Around 1974? I would think that serving military people would not have been given permission to travel before then.

Bernard

7 hours ago, 45669 said:

I did a tour of the DDR with the LCGB in 1971 and some of my pictures are here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjyTKm98

Hope they're of interest.

Indeed they are.

I like the photos of some of the withdrawn stuff.

Including a P8 I see.

I was lucky to have a run behind one of he last few in service shortly before then on my first visit to Colditz.

Bernard

For any one wanting more snapshots of German life from the mid 1970s take a look at a series currently on More 4 called The Same Sky. No trains so far, but a good insight into every day comings and goings around Berlin, both East and West. Lots of sex and violence and some rather direct language, so not for those of a  sensitive nature. In German but with English subtitles.

Bernard 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1