St. Rollox Road: a Glasgow area Stabling point c.1970

Signaller69

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2021 at 21:16, luckymucklebackit said:

Look familiar?

FB_IMG_1616777336499.jpg

Great photo! Judging from where the blue haze is emerging I reckon the far NBL is the sole blue Class 21 D6109 - it is also missing the BR logo on the cab door, my assumption has always been that it swapped at least one cab door with D6100 but that this happened after D6109 had been withdrawn - not so it seems, so something new learned! The shiny Class 20 looks like D8073, here's my still unfinished effort based on the Hornby model (picked up mint but cheap as a 'non-runner' - a detached drive shaft, just like the Lima model was prone to, fixed in less than 5 minutes).....

1465849230_WP_20210429_15_14_50_Pro(2).jpg.bcecabc18205fdcf40d21ec62f1dac0b.jpg

In retrospect, should have made the cab side windows a little deeper I think. Pictorial evidence suggests that, like Swindon, during 1967 Inverurie continued to outshop blue locos with the (incorrect) block serif number style.

Very nice layout by the way, set in my favourite period. Some unusual DMUs on display too, including one in green full yellow livery - rarely modelled.......because they were rare!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

Great photo! Judging from where the blue haze is emerging I reckon the far NBL is the sole blue Class 21 D6109 - it is also missing the BR logo on the cab door, my assumption has always been that it swapped at least one cab door with D6100 but that this happened after D6109 had been withdrawn - not so it seems, so something new learned! The shiny Class 20 looks like D8073, here's my still unfinished effort based on the Hornby model (picked up mint but cheap as a 'non-runner' - a detached drive shaft, just like the Lima model was prone to, fixed in less than 5 minutes).....

1465849230_WP_20210429_15_14_50_Pro(2).jpg.bcecabc18205fdcf40d21ec62f1dac0b.jpg

In retrospect, should have made the cab side windows a little deeper I think. Pictorial evidence suggests that, like Swindon, during 1967 Inverurie continued to outshop blue locos with the (incorrect) block serif number style.

Very nice layout by the way, set in my favourite period. Some unusual DMUs on display too, including one in green full yellow livery - rarely modelled.......because they were rare!

Hi Neil, 

Thanks.

I did wonder at what appeared to be a single exhaust haze if it was the sole blue class 21, as it doesn't seem to have the vents either end of the central roof hatch either.

Your class 20 looks very good, looks suitably "different" with the bodyside numbers, a style I quite fancy copying at some point if I find a blue one.

Yes, the rarity of the green 105 vehicles with full yellow ends is what made me decide to repaint the DMBS blue; iirc there were only 4 or 5 cars so treated, and one of the photos I have seen is formed thus. I think they were repainted by 1969 (the start of my preferred modelling period) but it seemed to fit the "something different" category nicely! Not sure if the number is accurate for a green FYE DTC, but if/when accurate details come to light it won't be too hard to change.

Edit to add, here's another cab door swap oddity copied from a photo:

20210322_205939.jpg.299327dd21bb04903f6bc835ed368e57.jpg

Cheers,

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
Edit to Add photo
  • Like 4

I think I know where that photo is, Martyn - I assume you have both Ian Allan colour albums on Scottish diesels too?! Having been born and brought up deep in Hydraulicland those locos are my main interest but the NBL Type 2 connection and a preference for BR's smaller unsung heroes, which the ScR made extensive use of, has always been irresistible. Talking of which, here's yet another not-quite-finished Scottish oddity which I just had to do, and they don't come much odder than this!

174211248_WP_20210430_13_50_31_Pro(2).jpg.e7691dc74bc44f52aeec8f53dd7ae77b.jpg

Both right and wrong BR double-arrows on the same loco - Inverurie clearly got a tad confused about the new corporate logo! The model is Bachmann's 5087 fitted with a valanced underframe moulding from a green one, suitably repainted (I had decided to mount my previously detailed Hornby Class 29 body on a Bachmann '24' chassis and deliberately sought one with the earlier underframe so that I could make the swap - I love it when a plan comes together....!) 5087's body detailing is correct for D5068, except the engine exhaust which needs changing to the original type - luckily I have one spare from another project and it's even blue :good:!

The incorrect BR logos were a bit of a problem as the best solution was waterslide applied upside down with a setting medium (Humbrol Decalfix in my case) and finding some small enough to fit onto the narrow cab doors. Having trawled through my box file of transfer sheets I found just four which were suitable - and even these required very slight trimming, so no slip-ups permitted!

I noticed that D5068 had cab door hand rails in 'body colour', not white or unpainted, so while I had the underframe paint mixed to match I remembered to paint these too - not fitted yet. Like D8073, this one is awaiting an opportunity to get my airbrush equipment out to give them both a varnish coat - actually there's an embarrassingly long list, but let's not go there......!

If anyone is contemplating backdating a blue Baccy '24' in this manner, ekmexhibitions have green underframe mouldings available for just £3 each (no connection...happy customer, etc).

Neil

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Some very interesting pictures from the wierd and somewhat underrecorded times either side of 1970.

The arrows on D5068 aren't as daft as one might think at first glance, an attempt to make the overall picture symmetrical perhaps by Inverurie? At least they didn't put the number on as 8605D!

I'm fairly confident that St.Rollox also used older style numbers on Railblue, and at least one Class 40, D270, had the same at Crewe, as well as some 76's and possibly some 20's.

As Neil notes EKM exhibitions get all sorts of odd bits and pices, and it is worth keeping an eye on their website in the absence of actual Shows.

John.

• Like 1

Re D5068, forgot to clarify that if turned around it looks the same, i.e. the double-arrows on both driver's side cab doors were back-to-front. Luckily photos of both sides are available - too often S*d's Law applies when researching these things and all of the photos one can find show the same side! Also, D5062 looked like D5068 but all four logos were correct - however by November 1969 it had become an LMR loco allocated to D05 Crewe, I saw it there 3/11/69 (logos on cab doors was a strictly Scottish solution to working around cabside works plates on blue repaints).

You may well be right about St Rollox John, and certainly about Class 40s at Crewe, D206 & D245 were others. I think these Works stopped using the block serif style numbers on blue early on whereas Swindon made the switch to the Rail Alphabet style in January 1968, and Inverurie's blue Class 29 conversions were all released in late 1967 with serif numbers. One further point regarding blue Class 29s which is not always appreciated, if one studies the conversion dates it's clear that none of these could ever have carried two-tone green livery, so Hornby's D6119 was incorrect. I always thought it amusing that the 'donor' Class 21s were unusual in having neither stripes nor bands and the green Class 29s unusual in having both, as if making up for it!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 30/04/2021 at 14:45, Neil Phillips said:

I think I know where that photo is, Martyn - I assume you have both Ian Allan colour albums on Scottish diesels......

I had decided to mount my previously detailed Hornby Class 29 body on a Bachmann '24' chassis and deliberately sought one with the earlier underframe so that I could make the swap......

If anyone is contemplating backdating a blue Baccy '24' in this manner, ekmexhibitions have green underframe mouldings available for just £3 each (no connection...happy customer, etc).

Neil

No I don't have either of those books as it happens! I put a request for info in regarding 5150 on a Facebook group and ended up with 3 or 4 photos showing both sides (as you say it can be a nightmare finding photos of both sides from the same time!) One was of the loco next to Cowlairs Signal Box in 1972 (iirc).

I did 2 of my 3 Hornby 29 conversions the same way, mounting them on Bachy class 25 chassis. The third (6107) had the Hornby motor bogie replaced with a plain block and is fitted with Alan Gibson spoked wheels, though they are largely invisible.

Thanks for the link to ekmexhibitions, I wasn't aware of them but I think it might well help me with a couple of projects!

On 30/04/2021 at 15:10, John Tomlinson said:

Some very interesting pictures from the wierd and somewhat underrecorded times either side of 1970.

The arrows on D5068 aren't as daft as one might think at first glance, an attempt to make the overall picture symmetrical perhaps by Inverurie? At least they didn't put the number on as 8605D!

I'm fairly confident that St.Rollox also used older style numbers on Railblue, and at least one Class 40, D270, had the same at Crewe, as well as some 76's and possibly some 20's.

As Neil notes EKM exhibitions get all sorts of odd bits and pices, and it is worth keeping an eye on their website in the absence of actual Shows.

John.

Hi John,

When I started modelling this period I wanted to capture "typical" liveries from the period - this turned out to be a far more complex topic than I initially thought, where so many livery / number / arrows variations existed that a massive number were one-offs, or almost so - as an example a photo at Eastfield shows 2 class 27s together - one in green FYE with no stripe; the only one so treated iirc, the other in 2-tone green FYE, of which there were only 2! So it really is a minefield!

Martyn.

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi John,

When I started modelling this period I wanted to capture "typical" liveries from the period - this turned out to be a far more complex topic than I initially thought, where so many livery / number / arrows variations existed that a massive number were one-offs, or almost so - as an example a photo at Eastfield shows 2 class 27s together - one in green FYE with no stripe; the only one so treated iirc, the other in 2-tone green FYE, of which there were only 2! So it really is a minefield!

Martyn.

Class 27s in green FYE with no white stripe/window surrounds - 5355/5370.

Two-tone green - 5380/5382 (5380 later got FYEs).

Then there's 5389 in blue SYP and 5406 green FYE with arrow logos. Full yellow ends which wrapped around onto cab side windows, or didn't, on green and blue locos. 5379 in green FYE had the yellow wrap-around in 1969 but by 1973 the side window surrounds had been overpainted green! It retained its stripes though. Blue locos with numbers on bodysides instead of cabsides (at least 5373/91/97). 

Yep, minefield! We won't even start on Class 26!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

Class 27s in green FYE with no white stripe/window surrounds - 5355/5370.

Two-tone green - 5380/5382 (5380 later got FYEs).

Then there's 5389 in blue SYP and 5406 green FYE with arrow logos. Full yellow ends which wrapped around onto cab side windows, or didn't, on green and blue locos. 5379 in green FYE had the yellow wrap-around in 1969 but by 1973 the side window surrounds had been overpainted green! It retained its stripes though. Blue locos with numbers on bodysides instead of cabsides (at least 5373/91/97). 

Yep, minefield! We won't even start on Class 26!!

Indeed Neil, 5370 and 5380 were the locos in question! I have the former, the latter may be added at a later date, along with 5389, who knows!  Never mind the 26's, 24's with the Glasgow sealed doors and central discs running in 1972 in blue is a Mastermind subject in itself!

• 3 weeks later...

Not much progress recently but I have sourced some safety fencing from Railway Laser Lines for the rear raised siding and one or two other locations. This company make a good range of laser-cut depot buildings and accessories in 4mm and O scales, mainly from MDF.

https://railwaylaserlines.co.uk/

20210518_205149.jpg.5d88a5041acd712b7a045d0350f141de.jpg20210518_205831.jpg.4e51cebf617ce0960b3d5443d2f77e4c.jpg

They will be sprayed before removing them from the framework and care will be needed once fitted in place as they are very fine;

Great service from them too. Usual disclaimer, no connection other than a happy customer.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

No progress on the layout over the Summer I'm afraid, as I may change the track layout slightly (after ballasting and weathering the track as usual). Several loco and other projects are on the go though as some of you will have seen on my workbench thread, with a batch of 6 old Hornby class 25s being modified into 24s, a 25/0 as well as some staying as 25/2s - picked up for £20 a loco, this is purely a low budget project; I have no desire (or big budget) to start repainting and weathering locos costing £150 or more each (especially as some will be in more obscure liveries, with pre-TOPS numbering which may never appear rtr in any case; there is currently no 25/2 to current standards either), let alone buying 6 of them to start with! Plus its FUN (I keep telling myself)! Detailing involves Shawplan roof grilles and fans, Lanarkshire buffers and a few homemade parts made as resin castings; photos give the idea:

20210804_081750.jpg.701c352bf510fd573282164faf13fb6a.jpg

20210817_220018.jpg.19095fb07d80d1b9d36ea886a20bdf5c.jpg

However, in terms of the layout it might be remembered I mentioned the road bridge at one end of the layout could be replaced by a Forth & Clyde canal over rail aquaduct, with the thought of a Clyde "Puffer" sailing over; well this is what I was thinking about in essence (from the Canmore site):

https://canmore.org.uk/collection/602557

Doing it with a Puffer is difficult as the boat's superstructure would be well above the top of the backscene but something like kids messing with a makeshift raft, plus floating debris, could be a realistic cameo typical of the time.

Hopefully more will progress with the layout soon.

Martyn. 

• Like 5

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

So no new progress to report, but this nice slide show of photos popped up showing Scottish Type 1 &2 locos in the late 60s, some very atmospheric shots too.

wow . Some brilliant stuff on there . 

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Finally I am making a little more progress. Having been stored in the loft for many months (and thankfully none the worse for wear), the layout is now set up again - though still without a name as yet. My main aim currently is to get the fiddle yard completed; so far the missing bits to complete the trackwork have been added and today I soldered the last of the fiddle wiring, which now needs a DIN connector plug to connect into the main baseboard (when I can dig one out). 

20220429_164255.jpg.303b25d34427a719dc45111c93772b41.jpg

20220429_164318.jpg.35042550bb41e30403c1a030d50dd607.jpg

Then it is just a matter of making a facia around the front and end.

After that I plan to test extensively, to see how it "feels" in operation, before hopefully moving forward with the scenic work.

Part of the desire to set the layout up is also to fully test the various Hornby class 24 & 25 conversions I have been beavering away at over the past few months, and the multiple working wiring (for the - hopefully - better running via shared pickups) and also wheel back-to-back adjustments to suit the code 75 track.

20220422_125747.jpg.25237d9154c8e37a71566eab957fc639.jpg

In the case above, the female plug is fixed to the bogie of 5147, whilst the male connecting lead on 5098 runs via a slot cut into the motor bogie, which keeps it in position but allows it to be withdrawn into the loco body if the loco is to be used singly. Up to 6 such locos will be fitted with either male or female connectors eventually, to allow variations of pairings.

Martyn.

• Like 10

9 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Hi Martyn, can you share the source of those plugs please, I have three pairs of old Hornby and Lima hard wired as double headed for common pickup, would like to be able to separate them.

Jim

Hi Jim, 

They were from Ebay a couple of years back, "JST micro connectors" various way combinations are available with or without leads, but these appear to be the same as the ones I used (not sure if it was the same seller though): 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284364643755?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=284364643755&targetid=&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006524&poi=&campaignid=16789158644&mkgroupid=&rlsatarget=&abcId=9300845&merchantid=6995734&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpcOTBhCZARIsAEAYLuXkWSu8XQ2aXoPmIa3DpxHSBDtg4nwAzd0NN-2Hzt1Ivw87TQg9mPQaAkIJEALw_wcB

Martyn.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

Not much to report in the way of further layout development, though I have finally found an EFE Glasgow Atlantean bus at an acceptable price for the usual (and deliberate!) "bus on a bridge" cliche......

20220725_162712.jpg.fe9cecf1f13f29fea2ff0b990048181d.jpg

It will probably have a little detailing carried out before becoming a fixture.

• Like 3

I wasn't happy with the walling alongside the raised track at the rear; being self adhesive Scalescenes brickpaper which had repeatedly  peeled away from the backing in places and having a fair bit of overspray from when I weathered the track, I decided to replace it with Wills brickwork. I also added safety railings from Railway Laser Lines, which are particularly fine, and fragile - it will be interesting to see how they stand up to practicalities like track cleaning! But it looks a lot better for it.20220728_193716.jpg.64a9135daff20e69cc4a46cdf64dcd6f.jpg

20220728_193742.jpg.337018a1939e9bc133d21708102ab3b5.jpg

Small steps!

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

The class 303 paid a visit in honour of actually having done some work on the layout, having been hauled in by a Class 20, which somehow then managed to run round the EMU!20220728_202909.jpg.4d67dc94d5d6f78a98544e43d7d60b93.jpg

20220728_210359.jpg.c3ad52d4cd5d08629ae116ba7534d161.jpg

So reminiscent of Smithy-Lye / Shields Road area. You’ve certainly caught the atmosphere and that 303 is gorgeous . I do hope somebody introduces a rtr one - A subject for KR models maybe? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Legend said:

So reminiscent of Smithy-Lye / Shields Road area. You’ve certainly caught the atmosphere and that 303 is gorgeous . I do hope somebody introduces a rtr one - A subject for KR models maybe? 

Thanks, there isn't a lot of scope for scenery with this layout so thought is still going on as to developing the backscene to give more of an urban feel and "fill in the gaps" so to speak.

The 303 would indeed be nice in rtr form, with a few liveries to chose from too; I suspect that a manufacturer might say that geographically it might be too limited in scope, although I usually find that having scratchbuilt or assembled a kit, an rtr model is announced soon after! 

There is a rtr version already available from Britannia Pacific Models, but it carries a niche price tag as one might expect for a hand assembled model:

http://britanniapacific.co.uk/Overhead 303.htm

Martyn.

• Like 1

D3373 and 5153 at the fuelling point c.1972. The former was a through and through ScR loco being new to St. Margaret's (Edinburgh), withdrawn from Eastfield and being scrapped at St. Rollox in 1975 with fire damage (still in green livery I believe). Class 25/0 5153 on the other hand came to Scotland in 1972, where it initially took the duties of the withdrawn Class 17/29s for a few years before heading back South.

20220805_223121.jpg.1f8580d7345b472f67eb3efb17606f1e.jpg

• Like 11