St. Rollox Road: a Glasgow area Stabling point c.1970

Signaller69

8 hours ago, 9C85 said:

I have just skimmed through this thread. Lovely layout. 

Could you please tell me where you got the cosmetic point levers?

Thanks 

Thanks. The point levers are Dornaplas, available pretty widely usually via Gaugemaster stockists, the Gaugemaster link shows them out of stock currently though:

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/dornaplas-dpb8.html

Martyn.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 61656 said:

I seem to be following 9C85 around the forum this week! Likewise I’ve just found the layout and I’m loving the work. Definitely a few ideas to borrow, not least the way you’ve built the layout to ease photography. 

Lovely atmosphere around the place too. And who doesn’t love a Sulzer?

Thankyou, as you can probably tell I am a big fan of Sulzer type 2s, which will be the mainstay on the layout with the odd larger (and smaller) interlopers.

Just to show that not quite everything on the layout is type 2 orientated....:mocking_mini:

The type 3 has been refuelled after working a Carflat train from the Eastern Region and will leave for the return working after the driver has had his PNB, with The "Peak" being readied for the return working of the "Thames-Clyde Express". Looks like the local type 2's are fully employed today!20210208_174545.jpg.a2ca6131a5cc07e24f78e1079286b5d5.jpg20210208_174524.jpg.816b1956b544ad387b423cf553b9eb8b.jpg

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Signaller69 said:

Excellent. I'm still researching numbers, liveries etc for mine. Bit of a minefield for c.1972.

Yeah , mines for the later period of my layout original plan was for 013 but I'm still researching , the hardest part seems to be roof differences especially the exhaust area , I've seen pics of 013 with the exhaust style I've started modelling but I'm checking others as well , also watch out for the sandboxes and bogie steps

2 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Yeah , mines for the later period of my layout original plan was for 013 but I'm still researching , the hardest part seems to be roof differences especially the exhaust area , I've seen pics of 013 with the exhaust style I've started modelling but I'm checking others as well , also watch out for the sandboxes and bogie steps

Yes thanks, I noticed that on the Derby Sulzers site. Many also are noted as green in say 1971, with blue/fye noted as the colours when withdrawn in say 1976 and no livery info inbetween (due to records held presumably). Works dates can provide a clue but they are sadly not always complete in many cases. Also in my period there is the issue that many still carried the skirts, or parts of them, on the underframe, not to mention several having winged headcode boxes at one end. It may be I have to go with one I find a couple of good photos of from say 1973 at the end of the day, I can live with that. Midland 24/1s are much the same minefield, which is still the other option for mine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Yes thanks, I noticed that on the Derby Sulzers site. Many also are noted as green in say 1971, with blue/fye noted as the colours when withdrawn in say 1976 and no livery info inbetween (due to records held presumably). Works dates can provide a clue but they are sadly not always complete in many cases. Also in my period there is the issue that many still carried the skirts, or parts of them, on the underframe, not to mention several having winged headcode boxes at one end. It may be I have to go with one I find a couple of good photos of from say 1973 at the end of the day, I can live with that. Midland 24/1s are much the same minefield, which is still the other option for mine.

Yeah , they are certainly a minefield , I've got 2 more to do at some point , fortunately I can get 3D printed cab roofs so the oddballs can be modelled if I choose , also got the guy drawing up some sandboxes for me too , may get him to look at doing the exhaust ports as well , currently got a set of 25/1 bodyside grilles on their way to me from him , the ones with hinges , just looking for suitable loco's to modify with them at the moment but trying to divert more of my finances at building the layout now

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

currently got a set of 25/1 bodyside grilles on their way to me from him , the ones with hinges , just looking for suitable loco's to modify with them at the moment.....

Excellent, does your contact have a link as these would indeed be useful?

Cheers,

Martyn.

3 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Excellent, does your contact have a link as these would indeed be useful?

Cheers,

Martyn.

I don't believe he has any plans to make them commercially available at present , I will put some pictures up when my set arrive and if you're interested I'll pass your details on

On 06/02/2021 at 17:04, Signaller69 said:

Thanks. The point levers are Dornaplas, available pretty widely usually via Gaugemaster stockists, the Gaugemaster link shows them out of stock currently though:

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/dornaplas-dpb8.html

Martyn.

I have an opened but unused pack going spare if of interest @9C85

5 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

No worries , as far as I know he just produces them for himself but after a lengthy chat with him about my modelling/plans etc he offered to sell me a set to try

I would certainly be interested to see how you get on with them.:good_mini:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks for that. Are they designed to go over the flat surface where the originals are sanded away, or do they need recesses cutting into the body?

You have to cut the old grilles out completely and insert these into the holes

• Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Ouch. I think that may be more work than I would want to undertake to be honest. Thanks for the information. 

yeah , I'm a little apprehensive myself and been pestering Brian@Shawplan to do etched ones where you would just need to file/sand the grilles down and stick the new ones on 

19 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

yeah , I'm a little apprehensive myself and been pestering Brian@Shawplan to do etched ones where you would just need to file/sand the grilles down and stick the new ones on 

I'm sure I have seen someone doing etched ones on here; I thought it might have been Kylestrome on his seminal Class 25 thread here: 

but having had a quick gander through it seems I could be mistaken. 

1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

I'm sure I have seen someone doing etched ones on here; I thought it might have been Kylestrome on his seminal Class 25 thread here: 

but having had a quick gander through it seems I could be mistaken. 

Ironically I'm sat here reading  this for the 100th time , yeah , I sent this link to Brian@Shawplan and it got him thinking but he's just too busy at the moment to produce anything new

Edited by sulzer71
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The layout control panel facia is almost done, just waiting on a few more switches from Eileen's Emporium, plus coloured switch sleeves.

20210225_132241.jpg.951dca5e40e3d78c9884918aad64dff2.jpg

Also the class 100 has had transfers and a few further details added. It seems to have been strengthened with a class 107 vehicle today, in true Scots style!

20210225_132027.jpg.79ffddd42004449b784d988ac09d468e.jpg

20210225_133020.jpg.b645e489d2bbc8977f2d73a8351f29c4.jpg

20210225_130005.jpg.53d075cb51a004f9ffab43c3534eb9d4.jpg

• Like 15