Dapol new N-gauge M7

Crepello

10 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Were they under size originally? I don’t think any retooling has been mentioned so I would say they’ll be the same size. 

It was basically a modified version of their 14xx chassis. I believe the body is the correct proportions so might get away with enlarging them slightly. It's just the chassis that is to be be remade from the ground up. 

5 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

It was basically a modified version of their 14xx chassis. I believe the body is the correct proportions so might get away with enlarging them slightly. It's just the chassis that is to be be remade from the ground up. 

The body is actually quite a bit too wide - M7s were very narrow. Not sure why they did this as there was plenty of room for the motor and it didn't need the body widening.

Lengths are not bang on either - its like the model tanks were to 1:152 scale with an extended front footplate (which some M7s did have)

When I designed an etched 2FS chassis for the M7 body I ended up doing the chassis to 1:152 scale and it fitted well enough.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Can I refer you back to Joel's comments a few days ago on the Dapol Digest: https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/n-gauge-models/steam/m7-0-4-4t/5180-olive-green-m7

It's not a complete retool, just a new chassis with a few tweaks to the body.

That is more recent than my conversation with Andy.  Hopefully they might go on to do a G5 if the wheels remain small.  

Les

• 3 months later...
24 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But not DCC - used the space for weight - that's quite a significant omission I think.

image.png.58e4c4900be300360b4ece637416165c.png

Got to agree there, I was under the impression DCC would be added and to not fit it seems like a mistake, I was planning to get one but now not sure if I will have to spend more ontop to get someone to remove part of the chassis to DCC it 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hugely dissapointing to see its not dcc ready, I've managed to do one of the original batch but it certainly wasn't an enjoyable process,  and not one I fancy going through a again, shame as I'd have liked another one, oh well, hopefully it sells well for them :)

All the best

Matt :)

I sold all my non DCC ready N gauge before Christmas, the basis being at some point the newer stuff would come through and I could replace some of the Dapol stuff I'd gotten rid of, the M7 was one of those.

Lets hope that they don't do the same with the 2-6-2 tanks when they come through for a re-work.

In the video from Dapol they are celebrating it's haulage capacity with it having 7 Mk3 coaches behind - but to me it doesn't need that much haulage capability, it needs to be able to run slowly and host a chip.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

My main gripe is it suffers from the same fault as the originals, despite the improved wheels they are still either far too small or the body sits too high. The wheel center should be just below the footplate but there is a relatively massive gap so it looks like it's on stilts and the driver only really disappears behind the smaller element of the splasher designed for the coupling rod bosses.
Overscale flanges etc aren't an excuse as plenty of other locos have drivers well within the splashers. It makes the splashers look ridiculously large.
The lack of DCC doesn't affect me but is a big oversight, sorry Dapol, not good enough.

Edited by Gareth Collier
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Steven B said:

I'd have thought a decoder could be fitted in the bunker without effecting the extra weights which I'd guess should be mostly over the drivers.

Steven B.

Agreed, I would personally prefer to forego the cab detail. I could never see the point of it, it was barely visible (all three of my M7s were moved on due to poor performance and a thoroughly cheap and nasty chassis). 

The chassis on this looks a whole lot better in design terms but what misjudgement (misunderstanding?) of the N market it is to omit DCC. Maybe as well as the weight issue there was also a focus on keeping the RRP below £100?

Roy

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

In the video from Dapol they are celebrating it's haulage capacity with it having 7 Mk3 coaches behind - but to me it doesn't need that much haulage capability, it needs to be able to run slowly and host a chip.

I agree that DCC should have been included, however the M7's were designed to haul heavy trains, so 7+ coaches would not be unreasonable. There are photos of them hauling 12.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Retooling a model in 2021 and not making it DCC ready seems like a bit of an epic fail and basically destroyed any interest I had in it.

However, if they set it up so it was a removable weight that revealed 4 easy solder tabs that might be acceptable as a compromise...

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Not worried by lack of DCC but it does seem strange to omit; unless you are very familiar with the prototype I can't see too many being concerned about the wheel size--I'm just glad they're spoked! According to my ABC Combined Volume ( Winter1956/7), they were 5'7'' which scales to 11mm.

49 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Retooling a model in 2021 and not making it DCC ready seems like a bit of an epic fail and basically destroyed any interest I had in it.

However, if they set it up so it was a removable weight that revealed 4 easy solder tabs that might be acceptable as a compromise...

There appears plenty of room for a 6 pin socket (even if right angle) in the cab area, personally I would do that at the expense of the existing cab detail. 

Roy

21 minutes ago, Crepello said:

Not worried by lack of DCC but it does seem strange to omit; unless you are very familiar with the prototype I can't see too many being concerned about the wheel size--I'm just glad they're spoked! According to my ABC Combined Volume ( Winter1956/7), they were 5'7'' which scales to 11mm.

It's not a problem with the actual wheelsize, it's that they are barely in the splashers giving it an odd look.

It does look like the body is sitting a wee bit high on the chassis.  It is an EP so it may just be an assembly issue at this stage.  Also, not providing DCC support seems a strange choice given how popular it is.  The idea of a removable section of weight that can be replaced with a decoder would seem a reasonable compromise.

The wee loco seems to be running well in their video though.

Kind regards

Paddy