Bachmann Winter 2020 Announcements includes several sound-fitted additions to the range

AY Mod

18 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Some lovely items, however the age of the £200 locomotive is now well established.

This is what newcomers to the hobby are being faced with, wanting something to do with the kids, while high tech alternatives are considerably cheaper now and FAR more attractive. Ours used to be highly involved at the club and would pester for some modelling time most nights, but now prefers to play multiplayer online games, (which I get roped into) and don't even want to go to model shops anymore. If we're out and I stop at a shop, they'd rather sit in the car and watch youtube than come inside...sad to say if I bought both a phone and model for ours, the engine would literally get chucked at the side of the sofa and not given a second glance; so the phone upgrade is the safe (and now cheaper) bet and buying a model for Christmas has become a complete waste of time and money. At over £30 for a pillbox brake van, what once was a cheap stocking filler (that I paid £7.54 for in 2016) that would see me sleeping in for an extra hour or so while it was played with is now quite an expensive gift. Even family asking what I'd like in my stocking, when I point at a Bachmann 1P, the response has been a resounding 'I'd rather buy you a new tablet' or 'what about a new camera?', both of which are more expensive prospects than what I'd rather see. I'm still getting ribbed in our house for buying a few 117s and 121 instead of replacing the camera, god knows why, taking photos is what phones are for! One does begin to wonder how much longer these rises are going to be sustainable...I've always had the Spanish inquisition when something arrives in the post, but nowdays just a couple of coaches  coming through the front door (as yesterday returning from Tennents Trains) involves a heated 'we could have gone out for a family meal for half that money' argument.

• Agree 11
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
Just now, Zunnan said:

This is what newcomers to the hobby are being faced with,

Are you after 'moan of the day' title? These are not necessarily kids play products - this is what a part of the market wants. For family-orientated Christmas fodder look at Hornby's Christmas announcements from yesterday rather than bellyaching in this topic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good to see Bachmann continuing to produce  products throughout this difficult year.  That said - with Loco's now at the £200 for a diesel that is firmly into 'mini-engineering' territory and for that price I will no longer accept non-concentric and wobbly wheels on locos and stock.   Time to up the QC in that arena Bachmann.

• Agree 7

I hope they are on to some winners here, esp the steamers with sound .

And I don’t like being negative but , for me, it’s too much for the below .

November 2015 hattons ad - DRS 57309, £106 ..

five years later ( before discount )£200.

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 1
  • Agree 8

4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Are you after 'moan of the day' title? These are not necessarily kids play products - this is what a part of the market wants. For family-orientated Christmas fodder look at Hornby's Christmas announcements from yesterday rather than bellyaching in this topic.

Not at all Andy, just relaying how things have developed in recent years from a typical family outlook. If I wanted to contend 'moan of the day' I'd be quoting what my club chairman said this morning about the prospect of stocking these models in the shop. I don't think the rep will have a good day there!

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

i love the 57, great loco and was hoping for a GWR green, i was prepared to pay £150-£160 as i thought that would be acceptable but if the GWR green is going to come in a £200 which i assume it will (when it's released) then count me out.

so i take it by the accountments, the 94xx is not available without sound? I wonder what the logic behind that is? get people to stump up the £200ish who wanted one because if they want it will have no choice? i'll wait for the non sound thanks and go spend my money on a Hornby Large Prairie or Dapol Mogul now.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Regardless of the discussions on price (and I think some of the EFE pricing has been too high, for what is, after all, existing tooling), they are not items that are designed for youngsters. 

If you are a kid, and want some play value/models that can withstand some handling etc, then something like the Hornby (ex Lima) 66 is your stock in trade for the current scene. Not a highly detailed Class 58. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I am not in the market for a CL57 at any price, but I would need hefty justification for paying £200+ for this model when there are equally good if not betteralternatives around £150 mark. But before I get a tut tutting for saying something against Bachmann I am sure it is up to their normal high standards and will get some takers.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

i love the 57, great loco and was hoping for a GWR green, i was prepared to pay £150-£160 as i thought that would be acceptable but if the GWR green is going to come in a £200 which i assume it will (when it's released) then count me out.

so i take it by the accountments, the 94xx is not available without sound? I wonder what the logic behind that is? get people to stump up the £200ish who wanted one because if they want it will have no choice? i'll wait for the non sound thanks and go spend my money on a Hornby Large Prairie or Dapol Mogul now.

These are only new announcements . I think the non sound variants are already in the plan

• Agree 1

While I have to say I'm a little disappointed with some of those buildings (The houses look a little too "Skaledale" in my eyes compared to earlier Bachmann releases), that Barn looks wonderful. I'll certainly be adding that to my list! 

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Legend said:

These are only new announcements . I think the non sound variants are already in the plan

ah ok, that's good news then, where they in the previous announcement, need to back and check. The 94xx was my preferred loco 

10 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

The standard 94XX models were announced back in 2015 and are due this month or next.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, jonnyuk said:

ah ok, that's good news then, where they in the previous announcement, need to back and check. The 94xx was my preferred loco 

There is a thread on here showing whats arriving . I think the 94XX is imminent , I think it also shows the price .   Sorry Bachmann priced themselves out of my market a long time ago . I just tuned into see if they were producing anything of interest to me - fortunately not . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, 7013 said:

when there are equally good if not better alternatives around £150 mark

If you want a new 57 in those specific liveries what are the alternatives?

11 minutes ago, Legend said:

Sorry Bachmann priced themselves out of my market a long time ago .

Can we just change the record please? I have to now replay my Joe Dolce collection as it really does get tiresome for me, others and the manufacturers concerned.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

most retailers offer a discount West Coast 57 is around at £175 if you look.

tbh I dont think its going to have much issue at that price, especially as the stock will come at some point.

DRS 57 is nice, but i’d prefer 002 or 003 with the rebuilt cabs as they ran earlier this year on the class 20 farewell.

57009 has been stored “off grid” at Longtown for 5 years now.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Richard Croft said:

Bit disappointed to be honest, I struggle to get my head round tooling up a class 158 and 90 at great expensive then only releasing them in 3 liveries. Same goes for the 117 and 121 really, great models but all they have done is release the same ones with sound, maybe it would have been a good opportunity to offer something different. I'd buy a 158 in any of the Northern liveries if they did them, and a regional livered first gen DMU,  currently for that livery you have to buy lima or repaint a Bachman model, neither of which are something I want to do.

There's a lot of demand for a network rail DBSO, in fact anything Network rail! Hornby have worked that out a few years back and they have done really well from it but Bachmann seem a bit behind with it.

And they have released a class 57 in DRS, its nice but they could have had a go at the latest fade livery for something different? it's possible to produce it because Vitrains did it years ago on a 47 to a decent standard.

Some of the steam locos look nice and the Captain Tom Moore 66, I've ordered that because the Hornby one wasn't powerful enough for me, clever of them to put it in the collectors club, effectively pushing the price up without adding it to the model, but the charity element makes that ok in my opinion.

Maybe I'm just being negative, but I do want Bachmann to do well. Hopefully they push it a bit further in the next quarter.

Richard

You do realise this is just the models coming into stock in the next three months?

Some seem to be thinking this is the main catalogue and they will be getting hundreds of models.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Regardless of the discussions on price (and I think some of the EFE pricing has been too high, for what is, after all, existing tooling),

Never understood the view that retail price should have a relationship to whether a tool is new or not. A model is worth what the market will pay for it.

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Fantastic to see a WCRC 57 finally for OO Gauge. Been many years since 57601 was commissioned by Model Rail. 

Yes, although I'd have preferred it in its current guise along with a sub £200 RRP!

On the other hand I was pleasantly surprised that the CC NHS 66 was £200, I thought it would have been slightly more given the 37 Vulcan pack was that not in CC. I suppose the 37 and Vulcans I expect would also have more cost to them to begin with.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JohnR said:

If you are a kid, and want some play value/models that can withstand some handling etc, then something like the Hornby (ex Lima) 66 is your stock in trade for the current scene. Not a highly detailed Class 58. 

What do you classify as a kid? My 14 year old son buys detailed models and gets enjoyment from them. He is quite capable of looking after them properly, but he is still at school and on a very limited budget.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Zunnan said:

Not at all Andy, just relaying how things have developed in recent years from a typical family outlook. If I wanted to contend 'moan of the day' I'd be quoting what my club chairman said this morning about the prospect of stocking these models in the shop. I don't think the rep will have a good day there!

My income has been largely static for the last five years (and it is reasonable) my outlay with family grows exponentially so what I have to spend on my interests contracts considerably . I have to be creative so second hand purchases where possible . Trading surplus items in the collection to fund new and my spend is now to O gauge . To frighten some my eldest prefer's O to OO and his Christmas and birthday list is O gauge  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think we have all had time to become accustomed to the prices attached to Bachmann products moving ahead of their main competitor and should have ceased to be surprised by it. It is what it is and is unlikely to change.

Whilst I am eagerly awaiting the 1P and new Bulleid coaches, Bachmann continue to cater mainly for interests other than mine, i.e. north, east and south-east of London plus lots of post-1960s prototypes and liveries. 

None of those hit the spot for me and items that do are sufficiently few-and-far-between not to challenge my piggy bank unduly. The red team generally pick prototypes of greater interest to me so have historically been my primary r-t-r source. I'm therefore able to look at the matter from a semi-detached viewpoint. :rolleyes:

However, there will undoubtedly be others for whom the opposite is true, and who may have to decide what they really, really want. 

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• Moderators

I've removed several posts which offer nothing above a moan about prices and I'll do the same with future ones and remove access to the topic. You are contributing nothing but noise.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Round of applause 7
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jonnyuk said:

Well anyone taking that course of action clearly doesn’t want a 94xx, and hadn’t been looking at Bachmann range announcements for the past five years, or bothered to look at the existing range/catalogue. They just want a GWR type of locomotive. 

• Agree 2