Bachmann Winter 2020 Announcements includes several sound-fitted additions to the range

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, PMP said:

Well anyone taking that course of action clearly doesn’t want a 94xx, and hadn’t been looking at Bachmann range announcements for the past five years, or bothered to look at the existing range/catalogue. They just want a GWR type of locomotive. 

that's a bit unfair....i had briefly got muddled on the announcements and what they meant. i have clearly been looking at the announcements otherwise i would not even know about it, let alone have it on my short list of GWR loco's. I don't just want a GWR loco, i a have a short list of 3, all from the same time period, i can only afford one so wanted to see what they were all like,  in fact your uncalled for dig has royally p*ssed me off!!!!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jonnyuk said:

so i take it by the accountments, the 94xx is not available without sound? I wonder what the logic behind that is? get people to stump up the £200ish who wanted one because if they want it will have no choice? i'll wait for the non sound thanks and go spend my money on a Hornby Large Prairie or Dapol Mogul now.

The sound models are additional products on top of the non-sound versions.

:no:

• Informative/Useful 1

Adding to the £200 Diesel loco debate. Today a copy of the April 1976 railway modeller dropped into my post box - the post is not that bad, I bought in in conjunction with a future project.

The price on the mag' is 35p which according to the Bank of England inflation website would be around £2.50 today.

The advertised  price of a Horney "Silver Seal" Class 47 was £9.99 - £72.50 today, which slightly more that current discount price of a DCC ready Railroad Class 47.

Accepting that the Railroad model will have had its development costs written off some time ago this might not be a fair comparison.

A slightly better comparison would be the Railroad “Cock O’ the North” Class P2 a new model but where the development costs would have been shared with the full price model:

Britannia  1976 - £10.66 todays value - £77.30, P2 currently £94

Average wage 1976 £72 a week, now  £509 (both before tax, NI etc..)

• RMweb Gold

Sorry it needs to be said otherwise the topic is incomplete. “ nothing for me “ .

Right that’s better. 

mind the H2 dose look a lovely model especially in LB & SCR lively. It would be a rule1 buy but still. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, jonnyuk said:

in fact your uncalled for dig has royally p*ssed me off!!!!

Not as much you diving in without thinking and slamming someone.

• Round of applause 2

13 minutes ago, MyRule1 said:

Adding to the £200 Diesel loco debate. Today a copy of the April 1976 railway modeller dropped into my post box - the post is not that bad, I bought in in conjunction with a future project.

The price on the mag' is 35p which according to the Bank of England inflation website would be around £2.50 today.

The advertised  price of a Horney "Silver Seal" Class 47 was £9.99 - £72.50 today, which slightly more that current discount price of a DCC ready Railroad Class 47.

Accepting that the Railroad model will have had its development costs written off some time ago this might not be a fair comparison.

A slightly better comparison would be the Railroad “Cock O’ the North” Class P2 a new model but where the development costs would have been shared with the full price model:

Britannia  1976 - £10.66 todays value - £77.30, P2 currently £94

Average wage 1976 £72 a week, now  £509 (both before tax, NI etc..)

So to summarise, in 1976, a class 47 was 1/7th of your weekly wage, in 2020 a class 57 is 2/5ths.  Is that your point?

Edited by Ouroborus

Why all the bickering, at this moment in time with whats going on in the world with Covid and people's jobs the whinging minis should be glad that Bachmann are announcing anything.

Some people need to get a grip and sort their lives out.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 3

I'm delighted that the DMU is coming out with sound - but at over £400 I will be only getting one.  I think this is the rub - people only have a certain disposable income and may actually spend less if prices are too high.  I probably won't be buying much else from this list.

Personally I won't moan about the actual prices - there is no point - but I do think people should be allowed to express their views on this in a modellers' forum.  I know RMweb has close links to the trade, but manufacturers should see forums as an early warning system.  If lots of people are complaining about price, that should be a warning the the market is starting to reach a view on product pricing.  When I talk with other modellers outside online forums, rising cost is one of the biggest issues discussed.

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium

I need to read more carefully... I saw Class 117s and assumed the addition of sound meant new liveries including a sound fitted option, as for most new models now, not just sound versions of the previous releases. Hopefully soon...

I hope Bachmann has chosen well and the new locos and units sell through, but I also hope this approach will not mean already announced models still without an availability month don't get pushed back even further. You've raised our expectations on them, Bachmann, so please deliver.

One question if I may. Are the electrics of the Class 108 unchanged, or does it now only need one DCC decoder instead of two?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

If you want a new 57 in those specific liveries what are the alternatives?

Rails, TMC and Olivias all have Bachmann DRS locos priced between £115-180, they may not be the exact same livery but I presume they are the exact same models, but if you are desperate for that particular model you pays yer money etc. 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Fantastic to see a WCRC 57 finally for OO Gauge. Been many years since 57601 was commissioned by Model Rail. 

I’ll certainly be ordering one, possibly two and renumber the second one.

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

I need to read more carefully... I saw Class 117s and assumed the addition of sound meant new liveries including a sound fitted option, as for most new models now, not just sound versions of the previous releases. Hopefully soon...

I hope Bachmann has chosen well and the new locos and units sell through, but I also hope this approach will not mean already announced models still without an availability month don't get pushed back even further. You've raised our expectations on them, Bachmann, so please deliver.

One question if I may. Are the electrics of the Class 108 unchanged, or does it now only need one DCC decoder instead of two?

To give a different point of view- I'd have been actually quite cross if they had done a Plymouth based Class 117 in blue/grey or even worse the chocolate and cream one in its early 1990's guise but then ONLY released it with sound as that would have been imposing a massive and pointless price penalty for someone like me who is happy to continue without such frills (and still uses DC control). Hornby did this a couple of years ago with a pair of IC Swallow HST power cars that I'd otherwise have purchased immediately upon release.

10 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

What do you classify as a kid? My 14 year old son buys detailed models and gets enjoyment from them. He is quite capable of looking after them properly, but he is still at school and on a very limited budget.

Rather flies in the face of certain critical 'just buy cheaper Hornby models' comments doesn't it? I find the avenue of telling kids what they should and should not use bordering on condescending and dismissive, and doesn't help younger modellers. It contributed to mine giving up for sure, and I can pinpoint it down to one exhibition in particular when she was operating the club layout and was berated rather unpleasantly by a punter. Something she'll still recall several years later, so I know it had a large effect. Until then though she was more than capable of handling, servicing and reprogramming DCC models and starting to show interest in scratch building.

My last US import was an all singing and dancing loksound v5 fitted locomotive, with another one in the post clearing customs right now, you would have thought something like that would be of interest...I think she showed more interest in what was for dinner, so what chance does a cheap and cheerful Hornby model stand? I can tell you...the Hornby Jinty and Caley 0-4-0 she started out with haven't seen the light of day in many years (even though I've kept them, fun memories and all that), the preferred fodder was the likes of Bachmanns G2 and replicating events such as the SLS 'LNWR loco Farewell' railtour, which she'd do quite unprompted...caught her raiding my coach stash for Staniers many a time after reading my books, and on more than one occasion she tried to get me to repaint the C/C portholes maroon as they 'just weren't right'. Sadly the maroon release landed after she'd lost interest. So with the greatest respect to those who have commented...no, a seasonal bargain Hornby set won't always cut it, and would have lost favour in my house by the time my daughter was 7. By the time she was 10 about the only UK diesel she'd tolerate was a Derby Lightweight, so a 66 would be out too.

19 minutes ago, sidmouth said:

My income has been largely static for the last five years (and it is reasonable) my outlay with family grows exponentially so what I have to spend on my interests contracts considerably . I have to be creative so second hand purchases where possible . Trading surplus items in the collection to fund new and my spend is now to O gauge . To frighten some my eldest prefer's O to OO and his Christmas and birthday list is O gauge  

I generally take the same approach, selling surplus models to fund new, and seeking out second hand models where that is viable. I'm not yet at the point where I wince much at prices for UK models, though there are a choice few over the mark I would pay. I'm still more than willing to pay for quality models and ultimately if its something I want, I'll find a way to fund it. My family however are way past the point of putting up with the cost of the hobby when buying for me, let alone anyone else. In fact they are becoming much less amenable to me even spending money I accrue from second hand sales to fund new purchases. I think I drew less unhappy glances from SWMBO when I paid £1500 for a new turbo for the trackday car a few years back than I got yesterday with two new Bachmann Mk1s in my hand. I may well be happy enough paying for the forthcoming 1P, but I can guarantee I'll lose body parts if the missus finds out I have more than one on pre-order even though I only owe about £50 to balance the books!

• Agree 1

Moaning or just showing concern at the price of new RTR isn't going to change the situation.

We've known for years that prices are creeping up and will continue to rise for a while yet.

If belts have to be tightened and less money spent, or even if people are priced out of the market, then so be it.

That's the way the cookie crumbles, unfortunately.

With the coming economic downturn, there'll be far more import things to worry about, such as worrying if your protected pension will be really be that safe?

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

i don't think anything remotely related to money is safe, all bets are off now i would say.

i can only speak for my self but buying loco's really is a hard decision now, so many nice ones arriving or released recently. when your limited to 2 or 3 a year it really does force you to justify each purchase (by this i mean, era, location, exception etc). I can see why Bachman do these 3 month announcements but if like me you have to careful with your purchases it could leave you wanting something but can't afford it as you spent up already, and with limited production runs meaning you will never acquire it, particularly the end of year announcements. 

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

15 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

To give a different point of view- I'd have been actually quite cross if they had done a Plymouth based Class 117 in blue/grey or even worse the chocolate and cream one in its early 1990's guise but then ONLY released it with sound as that would have been imposing a massive and pointless price penalty for someone like me who is happy to continue without such frills (and still uses DC control). Hornby did this a couple of years ago with a pair of IC Swallow HST power cars that I'd otherwise have purchased immediately upon release.

Brushman never intimated that at all.

He expressed disappointment of simply adding the option of factory fitted sound to an already existing model.

This may be surprising but many DCC sound modellers do not like factory fitted models either. There are usually better options available for those who prefer to fit decoders & sound themselves.

Does anyone know the lineage of the Lucston buildings? Google isn't telling me where it is. A generic line of buildings perhaps?

Please with this announcement. Prices are surely not a surprise at this point. Good to see the Well tanks into the main range. Further Atlantics looking fantastic. Can't justify another one myself but LBSC modellers are currently being rather spoiled!

Just now, Torn-on-the-platform said:

Does anyone know the lineage of the Lucston buildings? Google isn't telling me where it is. A generic line of buildings perhaps?

Please with this announcement. Prices are surely not a surprise at this point. Good to see the Well tanks into the main range. Further Atlantics looking fantastic. Can't justify another one myself but LBSC modellers are currently being rather spoiled!

They're previous releases in different colours. Lucston is a made up name (pretty awful one if you ask me). Apologies if it's named after someone's kid.

The Engine Shed looks a bit like Tetbury.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Not surprised to see the 94xx being offered with DCC sound fitted, as apparently the imminent DC version comes fitted with a speaker, superfluous of course in DC, as standard.  Speakers are quite heavy and I’ll probably leave mine where it is; in fact, 

One gets the sense of a ‘consolidation’ list of catching up, with no new toolings not previously announced being touted, though there is an impressive range pf previously unseen RTP buildings.  

This does not mean that blue box don’t have stuff up their sleeves that they are keeping under their hats and close to their chests (they must be rather oddly shaped if they can manage that contortion) (likes a mixed metaphor, me).  They seem to have learned the lesson about announcing too early from a resurgent Hornby, and the 3 month list is a clever move that has stopped a lot of the lead time complaining, not that I ever indulged...

There should have been a Johnster frying bolt of divine justice lightning after that comment!  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the announcement today:- Jeez! Then I noticed sound fitted... Aha! that'll bring the price down a bit. Being a DC luddite, I will probably end up with a 94xx. 3408, probably. Scrapped for spares at Caerphilly works, November 1962.

• Like 2