Bachmann Winter 2020 Announcements includes several sound-fitted additions to the range

AY Mod

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

or else why would it be put in to a DC model and given away for nothing!

I do think that is a lot to do with it, other reasons may be:

Buying a PCB with speaker wired as a combination may be cheaper and simpler than buying two combinations or manually soldering the speaker in when doing a sound one.

It may give them a bit more flexibility in production too, as the only difference between sound and DCC ready is the fitment of a decoder.

The other thing is it can add value to the model from a customer perspective, although it is a bit niche as most who will fit their own sound would probably want a better speaker anyway unless it happens to be a good one they fit.

• RMweb Premium

Grateful for the update thank you and delighted to see some more attention paid to Pre-Nat items.  

I'm sure the images would be of samples rather than the finished product for the shop shelves but I would like to know how one is supposed to enter the bookshop when it is clearly stacked with books right across the doorway :fie: and the LBSCR Atlantic seems to have a lot of that nice brown paint chipped off its wheels :(

The water mill and accompaniments look good and allow me to dream in the "if only" department.  There's not even room to store unopened boxes here now just in case a new project can be built at some future time.  

45 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

Not necessarily true, I have been present when pre-orders have been placed with the rep standing right next to me and assured there would be sufficient stock to honour our pre-orders, and this isn't limited to Bachmann I must stress, we've had it from everyone. I can promise you that telling a customer their pre-order can't be honoured because XxxX has not supplied enough models to the shop is not a pleasant experience.

I have been lucky this has never happened to me at my local shop with Bachmann products but I have heard of it happening. Hopefully your local shop will get their full allocation and you get all your models as it looks to be a great model.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

With the coming economic downturn, there'll be far more import things to worry about, such as worrying if your protected pension will be really be that safe?

Depends what you invest in.

Reading here, model railways are:

1. always desirable.

2. continue to out pace inflation

3. recession proof

4. easy to sell.

bin the fine art, drink the wine, use share certificates for loo roll.
Buy a model class 57 instead, watch its price double in 5 years, you can watch it go round in circles whilst its price rises.

Just hope Heljan don’t decide to allow for it in their future tooling of the new 47 or you could watch its value sink overnight.

:)

Edited by adb968008

9 minutes ago, shunny said:

I have been lucky this has never happened to me at my local shop with Bachmann products but I have heard of it happening. Hopefully your local shop will get their full allocation and you get all your models as it looks to be a great model.

Thankfully not an altogether common occurrence, but there has been the odd occasion where its been preferable to pass up my own pre-order to be able to honour that of a customer, and of those only one occasion where I couldn't get what I wanted elsewhere instead (Hornby Dodo).

I do like Bachmann’s quarterly announcement/release plan, certainly helps with keeping track of what you’ve got on pre-order or planning ahead.

If the DRS 57 was in the latest swoosh/68/fade livery, there would have been an email off to my local model shop pre-ordering one rather quickly - oh well the wait continues and the wallet takes a breather. 

some nice things coming up though, 

Its sad to see prices rising so much for old tooling models with a repaint where they still cant be bothered to update them with working marker lights and tail lights on a function rather than seperate switch.

The 66 and especially the 57 are what im mainly referring to.

the liveries look nice but its just the same old model with fresh paint IMO.

i know inflation is inevitable but it would be good to see a few minor tweaks, its 2020 afterall.

• Agree 5

7 hours ago, Zunnan said:

Hornby set won't always cut it, and would have lost favour in my house by the time my daughter was 7. By the time she was 10 about the only UK diesel she'd tolerate was a Derby Lightweight, so a 66 would be out too.

Absolutely no disrespect to yourself or little 'uns, and I know that times have changed massively, but at the tender age of 10 I remember 'wanting', as my first diesel/electric model, a Hornby APT for Christmas.  However, I most vividly recall receiving one of these beauties in my stocking...

2278392_1.jpg

"But it's not an APT, Dad...".  :wacko:  

The response, "It's blue, isn't it?  Like it, or lump it, kid!"

Of course, by 10 years of age I knew my Dad well enough to know that there was no point complaining and that it was better for me to display gratitude - even though underneath I did feel pretty 'hard done by' at the time.  The point being, has it really detracted me from modelling?  In short, no.  If anything, the limitations imposed by childhood have only succeeded in making me more determined to push myself as an adult and perhaps become even more of an obsessive for detail/quality; but alas, if for whatever reason I am unable to buy the best, then I'll at least attempt to achieve something as close as possible myself.  And by doing so, whether I am successful or not, I am at least learning along the journey.  And ultimately, that's what makes the hobby 'fun'.

In my view, the desire 'to model' comes from within and whether as a child you have the latest 'flash-bang gizmo' sound-fitted Class XX loco, or something from the 'basics' range, will in the longer term prove irrelevant, as it's the strength of the interest in railways in general that either will, or won't, be the driving force, as opposed to how expensive the contents of the Christmas stocking may be right now. 

ps...  In fairness to my long-past Dad, I did eventually receive a Lima Deltic (maybe one or two Christmas later).  Okay, it still wasn't my ideal/most-wanted model, but it was good enough and I learned to enjoy what I received.  And if anything, I guess I respect him and his philosophy of, "We can't always have exactly what we want", now, more than ever.   It's not a bad lesson to learn.

Best

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

A search of this topic on the word "atlantic" found only two posts that used the word, one of which is of course the OP. I find that rather depressing, considering that in its various guises it is the most handsome and eye-catching model in this announcement.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

A search of this topic on the word "atlantic" found only two posts that used the word, one of which is of course the OP. I find that rather depressing, considering that in its various guises it is the most handsome and eye-catching model in this announcement.

I didn't think I was fussed about a malachite one, I was after a wartime black one, but now I've seen a malachite one, I want a malachite one! 

Sure it's a high end priced model but my word does it perform! Whatever Bachmann did with the mechanisms, they got it spot on! It never derails or stalls, ever. (Speaking as someone who has frequent derailment issues with many modern spec models, I know why, one day I will treat myself to track that isn't older than me)

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, shunny said:

On todays launch video they stated the 1P and new class 66's as all sold out to retailers prior to arrival in the UK meaning they can no longer order further stock. Your order will still be part of retailer's delivery but once retailer's  sell out they won't be able to restock. 

I hear the same about nearly every new release of late, of a number of Manufacturers.

Ive become a bit immune.

Buy it if you want it, but sell out at the factory doesn't necessarily translate into sell out in the shops. Retailers too are not immune to catching FOMO too, and could be encouraged to buy in higher quantities.

if only 50 customers are in FOMO, calling 10 shops each, creates a wave effect of FOMO..for 500 shops.

if those 500 shops just buy +1 extra, it translates to 500 extra sales to the manufacturer..wow its a sell out!

But it leaves 450 scattered around retailers shelves to slowly soak up the sun’s rays.
Then of course another run could appear due to demand.

Given how some big retailers have recently stopped supplies from some big manufacturers, how much FOMO has been created by those now ex-customers panicing seeking new shops to pre-order from ?

Is there a risk of a retail bubble, ordering “+1’s” all eager to grab a slice of the former big boys action.

my opinion, if you want it buy it, but avoid the panic buying.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

To be honest if I was going to discuss it I would have looked for the actual H1/H2 thread and posted in that.

I tend to think of these announcement threads as "Wow. I want that" or what have you, and then it's really only the first page or so with the pictures and description that are of interest.

When people start discussing individual models then it's better they do that in the relevant thread. All the information just gets lost in these announcement threads.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

In that case if the speaker is anywhere in the way of ballast or replacing plastic coal with real coal or an empty/part empty bunker, I may have a speaker to dispose of, if I can remove it easily, i.e. it isn't tooled in.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Are they? Being a non-DCC, non-sound person, I wouldn't have a clue. Just seen the post by PMP, thanks.

I suppose small sugar cubes ones might not be, but audio speakers for hi-fi or even ordinary portable radios are pretty heavy kit,  The drive units are big magnets which weigh a bit!  I reckon a sugar cube weighs a bit less than 4g...

15 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

In that case if the speaker is anywhere in the way of ballast or replacing plastic coal with real coal or an empty/part empty bunker, I may have a speaker to dispose of, if I can remove it easily, i.e. it isn't tooled in.

You won't need ballast.

If it's like the J72 it'll be heavy enough. If not replace it with a L&YR 2-4-2T, they weigh a ton. ;) 

Plenty of videos on YouTube showing the J72 pulling trains with no problems. Feels like you are finding problems that don't exist.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I reckon a sugar cube weighs a bit less than 4g...

Amazing, one page ago you were telling us they were really heavy. Now you’re telling us a sugar cube is lighter than the one shown. 

The white speaker box it sits in is 2g so the actual weight of the speaker is 2g. How much lighter are your sugarcube speakers?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, PMP said:

Amazing, one page ago you were telling us they were really heavy. Now you’re telling us a sugar cube is lighter than the one shown. 

The white speaker box it sits in is 2g so the actual weight of the speaker is 2g. How much lighter are your sugarcube speakers?

I think he meant a cube of actual sugar!

• Funny 4

4 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

Any indication on whose sound files are Bachmann using? It makes a difference :)

Luke

Luke, this week I decided to use temporary the new DCC Concepts 21-pin decoder for my Bachmann LBSCR H1 Atlantic Class “La France”. I really want a sounddecoder, but there’s no proper soundfile at the moment. I hope to get one when the new Atlantic loc is build in Keynes. My loc was £ 159,- last april. The new rather same locs go over £ 200,-

Strange in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

To be honest if I was going to discuss it I would have looked for the actual H1/H2 thread and posted in that.

I tend to think of these announcement threads as "Wow. I want that" or what have you, and then it's really only the first page or so with the pictures and description that are of interest.

When people start discussing individual models then it's better they do that in the relevant thread. All the information just gets lost in these announcement threads.

I agree but am therefore puzzled as to what these five pages of comments have been about if not the models. But maybe that's just because I choose not to linger over threads where my naivety about human nature is challenged!

• Friendly/supportive 1