Bachmann Winter 2020 Announcements includes several sound-fitted additions to the range

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I think he meant a cube of actual sugar!

I did.  Incidentally I have no idea what either a sugar cube or a sugar cube speaker weight, nor am I much bothered; I am simply trying to gauge the effectivenesss of a DCC speaker as ballast in a DC locomotive.  It is my standard practice to try to get as much ballast as I can in, and this has never done any harm to any loco's performance in terms of haulage or pickup.  I also like, where it is not too difficult, to remove the plastic coal and replace with real, and prefer to have an option of an empty or part filled bunker, as most steam locos ran like this for the majority of their working diagrams (one hears stories of locos approaching London termini. luckily downhill, after hard runs with the tender empty for the last 20 miles or so out.

So, I will want to remove the speaker in my 94xx should it be a) lighter than the equivalent ballast occupying the same space, and/or b) it is in the bunker.  Under the bunker is fine, as it doesn't contribute much to tractive effort here...  Speakers contain heavy iron magnets, and I assume that they are heavier than cubes of sugar of the normal size, but I am not going to bother to weigh a cube of sugar, or the speaker as PMP has stated 2g.

I'm afraid I have started a bit of a distraction, let's get back OT!

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, choo1choo said:

Getting off  the sugar for a moment....I would have loved to have seen an H1 in LBSCR livery.....perhaps this will appear at a later date.

Craig.

Didn't we get No 39 in umber, dressed as La France, in respect to a visiting French President in 1913,  in the first batch?

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, choo1choo said:

Getting off  the sugar for a moment....I would have loved to have seen an H1 in LBSCR livery.....perhaps this will appear at a later date.

Craig.

Hi Craig, 

There was a H1 in LBSC umber in the first release as 'La France', item 31-910. This still seems to be available on the web at a few shops, I have one and it's stunning so would recommend it!

Karl

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Karl said:

Hi Craig, 

There was a H1 in LBSC umber in the first release as 'La France', item 31-910. This still seems to be available on the web at a few shops, I have one and it's stunning so would recommend it!

Karl

indeed--still available at Rails for a shade under £160--

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/34984/Bachmann-31-910-oo-gauge-h1-class-atlantic-no-39-la-france-lbsc-lined-umber-4-4-2-steam-locomotive

cheers,

Keith

• 3 weeks later...