Graham Farish Winter 2020 Announcements includes several sound-fitted additions to the range

AY Mod

• Moderators

Allied to the main Bachmann summary topic - 

Graham Farish has always been at the forefront of British N scale and was the first manufacturer to introduced British consumers to models with factory-fitted DCC Sound Decoders (now known as SOUND FITTED). The selection of SOUND FITTED models from Graham Farish expands further this Winter with the unveiling of six new Class 31 locomotives with SOUND FITTED.

The Scenecraft range of highly detailed, hand painted buildings, structures and accessories with new additions in N scale too, including the reappearance of models depicting iconic structures such as the Coaling Tower and Gasometer.

EFE Rail is already becoming an established name on the shelves of Bachmann retailers and there are new additions in both OO and N scale this Winter, with models of two different wagons – the Shark Brake Van and JIA Bogie Hopper – being made available in ready-to-run format in N scale for the first time. EFE Rail topic here - 

• Moderators

Graham Farish - new products

371-111ASF N Class 31/1 D5616 BR Green (Small Yellow Panels) 264.95

371-111ASF.jpg

371-112ASF N Class 31/1 31131 BR Blue 264.95

371-112ASF-01.jpg371-112ASF.jpg

371-113SF N Class 31/1 97204 BR RTC (Revised) 264.95

371-113SF.jpg

371-135SF N Class 31/1 Refurbished 31154 BR Railfreight 264.95

371-135SF-01.jpg371-135SF.jpg

371-136SF N Class 31/1 Refurbished 31319 BR Railfreight Petroleum Sector 264.95

371-136SF-01.jpg371-136SF.jpg

371-137SF N Class 31/6 Refurbished 31602 Network Rail Yellow 264.95

371-137SF-01.jpg371-137SF.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

Scenecraft - N Gauge

42-0019 N Thatched Cottage 27.95

42-0019.jpg42-0019 Small Thatched Cottage Dims.jpg

42-070 N Coaling Tower 119.95

42-070.jpg

42-146 N Yard Crane 21.95

42-146 Highley Yard Crane Dims.jpg42-146.jpg

42-211 N Low Relief Gasometer 54.95

42-211.jpg42-211 LR Gasometer Dims.jpg

42-221 N Low Relief Underground Station 31.95

42-221.jpg42-221 LR Underground Station Dims.jpg

42-241 N Low Relief Bank 21.95

42-241.jpg

42-263 N Low Relief Nick's Barbers 24.95

42-263.jpg42-263 Nick's Barbers Dims.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Presumably the sound fitted 31's are in addition to the proper vanilla versions?

I really hope so as Rails reported last week that the 31s are imminent - although other retailers are suggesting that we may have to wait until January.  It is a pity Farish can't be clearer about their product arrivals.  I am certainly keen to buy the Non-sound versions assuming they appear in that form.

Personally, I love sound in my OO diesels, but I don't think sound works well in n scale.  It just doesn't scale very easily in very small scales or work well when you are running mainlines with lots of trains - the sorts of layouts that are typical of N. 

I would prefer Farish to concentrate on updating their important older models (158s and 170s for example), bringing them up to modern DCC standards with lights and offering new liveries.  But we all have different priorities I guess.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Presumably the sound fitted 31's are in addition to the proper vanilla versions?

That's correct, these are additional items.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bluedepot said:

do all the new 31s have speakers in anyway?   i think i read that somewhere. if they do then i think it would be better for farish to just sell the sound chips separately. if its just a plug in next 18 decoder anyway? 

tim 

That appears to be correct...

On Bachmann's website, it says 'Speaker Fitted' on checking a couple of non-sound 31's.  It also has a Next-18 decoder socket specified.

Glad this is the case because having ordered the non-sound one, it was disappointing  to see I could have ordered a sound fitted one... so at least I do instead have the choice of a 3rd party option for the sound file and no worries about installing a speaker! :)

At least any future 31 purchases with sound would most likely be a different sound file, so no 'in-synch' sounds when double heading.

• Agree 1

Assuming it's similar to the 40, Farish diesels are the easiest sound install possible. The speaker is attached to the bodyshell (which forms the sound enclosure), and contacts with the PCB. No soldering, just put in the Next18 sound chip and you're off. Dapol you normally have to solder wires to the PCB and speaker, and attach the speaker to the enclosure on the chassis (on the 68 and 50 this is shaped as the driveshaft runs through it, although for my 50 I got a 3D printed enclosure from YouChoose with speaker and wires attached designed with the driveshaft clearance).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yes - the Class 40 was a doddle!

I am very cautious about having to mill, cut, solder, re-wire, etc. a costly model and wanted a really easy option, so I chatted with YouChoos (other manufacturer offerings are available) who told me how easy it would be.  So, I bought one from them at Warley a year or two ago and a day or two later, removed the Class 40 body, took the blanking plug off, plugged in the decoder, put the body back on and my N-gauge Class 40 sound fleet successfully increased by one!

I am sure I could manage a much more complicated arrangement but for anyone thinking of trying sound fitting to a model, this is a really easy one with which to gain experience and confidence.

I expect/hope the 31 will be similar too :)

Have to admit, I can understand people not being interested in sound, DCC, etc. either for preference or sheer cost, so it's really good to see Bachmann/Farish offering both fitted and non-fitted options on many upcoming sound ready models now (incl. OO gauge).

Cheers, 

Ixion.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I was looking for a video before comitting, one did surface of the forthcoming Farish 8F with sound.  I guess you could order the non-sound fitted 31 and decide whether to retrofit later if its available seperately, the Bachmann website oddly shows the sound fitted 31s are expected before the normal ones?

I agree, it would be great to hear the factory sound if possible before ordering or purchasing.

But if that's not available you need to make the best choice possible based upon what is known at that time. If you really want a sound fitted Class 31, buying DC only with a view to upgrading is the wrong way around in my view, i.e. the more expensive option overall.

Bachmann do not sell their sound decoders separately, so that will mean an upgrade can only be obtained from third party suppliers. This will inevitably cost more than the price differential of the sound fitted over the DC version. So if you decide after purchase that the r-t-r sound is what you would like, there is no immediate route to achieve this* and a sound decoder from other suppliers will cost you extra (around £30-£40) to retrofit, based on prices of earlier Farish releases.

Perhaps a better tactic, if you can afford the up-front cost, would be to buy the sound fitted version in the first place. If the sound suits your needs, happy days. You keep it as is, knowing you have saved a fair amount and don't even need to open your model.

If you don't need the sound, or prefer something different, pull the decoder and sell it. The decoder will be worth more than the price differential I mentioned earlier.

*(There should be a ready market for this sound project as there will be people who have not read this suggestion who purchase a non-sound model but will later decide to upgrade to sound, LOL).

Best regards,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

If the sound isn’t to taste you could always get a re-blow. Always assuming the decoders are standard Zimo ( that is what Bachmann are fitting isn’t it?), rather than some form of ‘locked’ offering. Would still be cheaper I think if possible.

Izzy

5 hours ago, pauliebanger said:

Perhaps a better tactic, if you can afford the up-front cost, would be to buy the sound fitted version in the first place. If the sound suits your needs, happy days. You keep it as is, knowing you have saved a fair amount and don't even need to open your model.

If you don't need the sound, or prefer something different, pull the decoder and sell it. The decoder will be worth more than the price differential I mentioned earlier.

*(There should be a ready market for this sound project as there will be people who have not read this suggestion who purchase a non-sound model but will later decide to upgrade to sound, LOL).

Thats a very good point, tempted to pre order my first sound loco 31 now!

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, bill badger said:

D'oh! Saw the 58 in the initial post and pricked up my ears for a moment... Oh well.

You weren't alone ! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, davebem said:

The image with the 31s on a rake of BAA coil carriers is also rubbing it in, been after some of those for a while!

Go and buy some then https://railsofsheffield.com/products/30770/graham-farish-377-903-n-gauge-baa-steel-carrier-wagon-br-brown-with-coils

• Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...