EFE Rail Winter 2020 Announcements - Beattie Well Tank, Gate Stock, Class 58, Cargowaggons plus 2 new N gauge projects.

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Completely confused by the Sharks!!  Assuming this is the DJM tooling that never made it to actual production, how come EFE have it when KRModels said they have it as well?

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Completely confused by the Sharks!!  Assuming this is the DJM tooling that never made it to actual production, how come EFE have it when KRModels said they have it as well?

KR Models only bought the CAD. Looks like EFE Rail/Kernow? have the tooling.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

37 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I have the impression that Olivia's strategy is to not to rush and sell theirs but to get the maximum markup possible.  They are pretty much gone else where though admittedly the last one I brought was in a clearance sale a couple of years back.

That's part of my point though, even given Olivias 'interesting' pricing strategy, a Heljan Railfreight one would cost you £135 from them whereas with full allowable discount you are talking £157 for this EFE Railfreight release (noting it is also weathered).

Edited by WILLIAM

2 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Do we now have two N gauge Shark brakevans with the KR Models one?

No as I doubt the KR one would ever see the light of day and that's before this announcement. I just hope it sells well to justify the production, I know I want some

2 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

That's part of my point though, even given Olivias 'interesting' pricing strategy, a Heljan Railfreight one would cost you £135 from them whereas with full allowable discount you are talking £157 for this EFE Railfreight release (noting it is also weathered).

That may be so, but Bachmann are providing Heljan items to shops that Heljan don't normally reach in their EFE brand.  Internet buyers like us probably have all these Heljan items already (I'm personally not interested for sure) but much of the market is still not online.

That said Bachmann would make a big win doing Heljan's B tanks in ESSO livery as packs of 4 without the 33s. And various other Heljan wagons which are hard to find.

On the other hand, the Well tanks at 15% discount have hardly changed price and we now get something other than plain black.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

a Heljan Railfreight one would cost you £135 from them whereas with full allowable discount you are talking £157 for this EFE Railfreight release (noting it is also weathered).

Well go and buy one and stop moaning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Mike Harvey said:

KR Models only bought the CAD. Looks like EFE Rail/Kernow? have the tooling.

I’d suggest it looks very very unlikely that KR bought the CAD. If they did, how are the tools produced without the tooling manufacturer having access to the relevant CADs?

• RMweb Gold

I’m very pleased and surprised by what’s been announced for N gauge. Given that KR Models were considering it, I’ll bet the announcement about the Shark plough van caused more than a few jaws to drop :wink_mini:. As three of the four versions were around in my modelling period (the 1980s); bauxite, olive green and Dutch, I’ll have to have at least one of each to help unload my Dogfish, Sealions and Seacows. 

The JIAs and their expected arrival early next year is an even bigger surprise. I really hope they do well and encourage Bachmann/Farish/EFE to consider doing the PBA “clay tigers” as well. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, AY Mod said:

I'll stand corrected Andi, the new ones are quoted as 6-pin.

I'd followed the wrong quote and thought we were on about the 58 not the Well Tank! Ignore me please.

Andi

• Thanks 1

Only thing that worries me about the Railfreight liveried 58 is the fact it's 'faded'. Are there any photos of 58 011 in that situation for a better idea on the timeframe the model would represent?

I've done a quick google but haven't found anything yet :(

35 minutes ago, PMP said:

I’d suggest it looks very very unlikely that KR bought the CAD. If they did, how are the tools produced without the tooling manufacturer having access to the relevant CADs?

DJ Models did show engineering samples of the shark, with decorated samples shown in July 2018 (can be seen on the shark thread in this forum) but presumably couldn't finance the production run, so it makes sense that there are both model cads and tooling, which were independently sold by the administrators. KR must believe they can produce improved tooling, but doubtful that the market will support two models. DJ was unable to get sufficient crowd funded orders.

Edited by rembrow
Correction

27 minutes ago, PMP said:

My comment was based on KRModels saying they bought the CAD from the liquidators. Are you suggesting that is not true? https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48182.msg617017#msg617017

Tooling may already have been produced from the CAD and held by the factory rather than DJModels or the liquidators.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Rob F said:

Is it really necessary to be so rude?

I actually thought he was being reasonably polite given that every announcement of new product results in the same flood of posts complaining about the price of the announced items - over in the Bachmann thread Andy Y has already said he has had to actually delete a large number of posts.

Given all the extra work placed on the moderators - not just having to read the same thing repeatedly but having to delete posts so that the threads are actually readable by everyone else - I know I wouldn't be anywhere near as polite.

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 1

12 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

Only thing that worries me about the Railfreight liveried 58 is the fact it's 'faded'. Are there any photos of 58 011 in that situation for a better idea on the timeframe the model would represent?

I've done a quick google but haven't found anything yet :(

I wonder.

Over in the US one of the manufacturers has been very successful in offering models that come "pre-faded" to make them easier to weather.

(Athearn - and they market them as Primed-for-Grime).

That's very interesting. Maybe the thing to do then is wait for it to appear and either see it in the flesh or view more photos of it before deciding on a purchase or not.

It's the look of the cabside Railfreight logo that makes me think they're working from a prototype image somewhere. Which means the model would fit a later set layout better.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, rembrow said:

DJ Models did show engineering samples of the shark, with decorated samples shown in July 2018 (can be seen on the shark thread in this forum' but presumably couldn't finance the production run, so it makes sense that there are both model cads and tooling, which were independently sold by the administrators. KR must believe they can produce improved tooling, but doubtful that the market will support two models. DJ was unable to get sufficient crowd funded orders.

I’d expect the tooling to be from those CADs. Which is why I doubt KR bought the CADs, why would you not arrange access to the existing tooling from those same CADs? Mind you the element of DJ models involved makes an ‘all bets are off’ situation.

1 hour ago, SteamingWales said:

I'm really starting to like the EFE Rail brand. Nothing for me ATM but looking forward to future announcements.

Not wanting to turn this into a wishlist but the Kernow O2 could appear, as well as some other DJM projects such as the Hudswell Clarke :D

I would be surprised, though anything is possible, if the EFE Rail brand goes into tooling new items.  It seems to be (successfully) set up to do runs of previous non-Bachmann items bringing them to a wider audience than their initial retailer or smaller dealer network manufacturer could.

2 hours ago, peteskitchen said:

Does this mean that Heljan have abandoned the Hymek and class 58s? 

Don't think so.

All it means is that Heljan have guaranteed income for making X of those older models for EFE Rail to sell, profit that Heljan can then use to help further their new product plans.

Think of it more as if a retailer approached Heljan about getting a custom run of those models done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1