EFE Rail Winter 2020 Announcements - Beattie Well Tank, Gate Stock, Class 58, Cargowaggons plus 2 new N gauge projects.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
Just now, bigP said:

And yet EFE have announced the JIA Clay Wagon in N, which only ever existed in OO before.

Surely that counts as new design and tooling?  It must have gone through more than a shrinkray to enable a functional product in the smaller scale.

I wonder then who owns/is behind the making of the JIA in N then, if all the EFE brand amounts to is distribution, someone else is making a new product here.

Kind Regards,

Paul

The N gauge JIA is via the same stable as the 00 version.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

What was the name of the outfit that brought that rather nice N scale VEA van to the market?  I have one and it's lovely but cannot for the life of me remember who made them!  One potential candidate for the EFE range perhaps?

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

What was the name of the outfit that brought that rather nice N scale VEA van to the market?  I have one and it's lovely but cannot for the life of me remember who made them!  One potential candidate for the EFE range perhaps?

Hi John,

The recent VEA vans are by Sonic models.  They are entirely independent of EFE and currently have no co-production arrangements.  Limited numbers of the Sonic Models VEAs are still available from Rails of Sheffield and Revolution Trains.

cheers

Ben A.

• Informative/Useful 4

21 minutes ago, PMP said:

I’d expect the tooling to be from those CADs. Which is why I doubt KR bought the CADs, why would you not arrange access to the existing tooling from those same CADs? Mind you the element of DJ models involved makes an ‘all bets are off’ situation.

KR Models probably didn't buy the tooling as their method of business is to advertise for expressions of interest and if they get sufficient, seek stage payments before going to tooling. Michael Revell of KR confirmed to this forum on page 1 of the KR shark thread, that the cads for the shark were no longer DJs but 'theirs' and that DJ could only watch as they progressed it.

27 minutes ago, PMP said:

I’d expect the tooling to be from those CADs. Which is why I doubt KR bought the CADs, why would you not arrange access to the existing tooling from those same CADs? Mind you the element of DJ models involved makes an ‘all bets are off’ situation.

KR Models say they bought the CAD from the liquidator. I think you can safely put your doubts to one side. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48182.msg617017#msg617017

The liquidator did not claim the ownership of the Shark tooling, but they did have the Shark CAD which was sold to KR Models.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, rembrow said:

KR Models probably didn't buy the tooling as their method of business is to advertise for expressions of interest and if they get sufficient, seek stage payments before going to tooling. Michael Revell of KR confirmed to this forum on page 1 of the KR shark thread, that the cads for the shark were no longer DJs but 'theirs' and that DJ could only watch as they progressed it.

Yep, like the CADs for the N gauge King which we were told by KR models that they weren’t the DJM CADs, until we were told they were.

Probably best left parked or restarted elsewhere, so as not to detract from this EFE news. They’re not for me, but I’m pleased N is getting a good look in with this new range.

Edited by PMP
Spelling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Mike Harvey said:

KR Models say they bought the CAD from the liquidator. I think you can safely put your doubts to one side. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48182.msg617017#msg617017

The liquidator did not claim the ownership of the Shark tooling, but they did have the Shark CAD which was sold to KR Models.

Those links go to a sign in section I think of the n forum, I can’t read them. See above post re King CADs...

The send them a PM or block them, there is no need or justication for rudeness on here or anywhere else. This is a public forum, therefore everyone has a reasonable right to give their own opinion.

If its bullying, rude, sexist, racist or threatning, then that is where you should be moderating. IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 10

29 minutes ago, micklner said:

The send them a PM or block them, there is no need or justication for rudeness on here or anywhere else. This is a public forum, therefore everyone has a reasonable right to give their own opinion.

Up to a point - equally, everyone reading this forum has a reasonable right to read topics that can be informative - and allowing posters to go crazy with the "too expensive" "not for me" etc posts quickly ruins the topics for everyone else as it becomes too difficult and tedious to read the informative posts between all the non-relevant stuff.

And sadly there simply isn't enough time to send all the offenders a PM, particularly where the occasional public reply serves as a reminder to others to think before posting similar messages.

29 minutes ago, micklner said:

If its bullying, rude, sexist, racist or threatning, then that is where you should be moderating. IMHO.

Not going to deny that those aren't important reasons for moderating, but anyone who has done moderating (or had the misfortune of attempting to partake in a forum that attempts to restrict itself to those reasons or less) quickly learns that if a forum is to thrive as a place for the exchange of information and reasonable opinions a much heavier hand is necessary - for whatever reason too many people don't treat online forums with the same respect/restraint that they do in an in person venue.

• Agree 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, mdvle said:

I actually thought he was being reasonably polite given that every announcement of new product results in the same flood of posts complaining about the price of the announced items - over in the Bachmann thread Andy Y has already said he has had to actually delete a large number of posts.

Given all the extra work placed on the moderators - not just having to read the same thing repeatedly but having to delete posts so that the threads are actually readable by everyone else - I know I wouldn't be anywhere near as polite.

That's his job and he gets money for it, If I was that abrupt with people then I would have no business. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Blimey, This is going pear shaped. 

First the 1P in Blue now Well tanks and Gate Stock....wheres the defib for the wallet/credit card/family silver.....?!

Rob 

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Easiest solution with the first post of any new product, is a ruling added in the listing 

"No comments either way re the price are allowed"

That way the ground is set for the future, regular posters will be aware of the ruling from day one already, a reminder then is all that is needed, instead of the constant repetive bickering on here .

I have never read on any other Forum where this a constant issue. Closely followed by wrong colour, not for me, wrong year etc etc .

Ad nauseum.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, micklner said:

I have never known'read on any other Forum where this a constant issue. Closely folowed by wrong colour, not for me, wrong year etc etc . ad nauseum.

If you'd seen the 'chat' alongside the Youtube live video with the announcements this morning you'd have got the lot. Within 30 seconds and every 30 seconds thereafter.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Is that Beattie in lined black with sunshine lettering ? I didn't realise that livery combination was a thing?

The Sunshine description is a little misleading and not one I would have chosen but represents the livery with hand painted lettering to fit the splasher as carried between May 1933 and October 1939 (although the green lining would hardly have been visible at the latter end of that period.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Indeed, but for an old timer there is only the 47/3 for an MGR and it must be on jointed track - none of that continuous welded stuff for me.

Hi

For me its pairs of 76s on the MGRs

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigP said:

Thanks!

Please do consider the PBA for the future then.  JIA a little too late for me, but the PBA would be just the right time.

Would be great to finally see the PBA done in N.

Kind Regards,

Paul

Yes same here, I hope they do the earlier white PBA version for us era8 modellers!  I dont think the tooling is any different?

3 hours ago, rembrow said:

KR must believe they can produce improved tooling, but doubtful that the market will support two models. DJ was unable to get sufficient crowd funded orders.

Probably, although I don't think the DJM Shark was crowdfunded - more probably an issue over tooling ownership and paying for it and production. And, the market is further crowded by there being a Shark brake van kit from the NGS.

4 minutes ago, grahame said:

Probably, although I don't think the DJM Shark was crowdfunded - more probably an issue over tooling ownership and paying for it and production. And, the market is further crowded by there being a Shark brake van kit from the NGS.

That DJM, for all his faults actually gifted us two toolings that have now come to market in a more traditional manner.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1