EFE Rail Winter 2020 Announcements - Beattie Well Tank, Gate Stock, Class 58, Cargowaggons plus 2 new N gauge projects.

AY Mod

2 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

not sure it's been answered (read through this thread and can't see it). The BWT does it have the coreless motor still?

does it still have the really visible seem down the boiler and does it have the plastic rodding still?

It's lovely looking engine but those 3 things let is down, especially at the price point.

I've two of these from the second batch (i.e. DJM not Dapol) and they both run lovely, in fact my favourite locos in OO.  Visually I cannot say I've ever noticed the seam (if it is that obvious) and the plastic rodding shouldn't be an issue.

• Informative/Useful 1

Managed a click and collect today. What a pair, cant see these hanging around long.

To answer my earlier question about the axle length of the Gate Stock, although the Olive Green set wasn't in today, measuring  a BR red set showed them at approx. 24.5mm, 

IMG_8589.jpeg.706a1f6a92ff52b7c041ffa21a1b52dd.jpeg

• Like 9

From the two I have received, see my pervious post,  and the two my colleague picked up at the same time they have be very well produced.

Comparing them to my Kernow version  there seems to be no tooling changes, just livery changes, but what nice changes they are.

Unlike the Gate stock, that is packaged exactly like Kernow’s, the Well Tanks are completely different. Much larger  box and very well protected. Very nice to get a new model with everything attached, everything aligned, not bent and no marks.

Of course this is subjective and probably biased, but if you are thinking about one of these or the Gate Stock I wouldn’t leave it too long, the retailer who we purchased these from said Bachmann were already sold out to retailers orders.

IMG_8600.jpeg.96ae6e272d71f3cf1059fdcbba0fa754.jpeg

IMG_8599.jpeg

IMG_8654.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Edge said:

Just purchased the SR lined black example. Will look good alongside a W1 and a Stirling single :)

An outlook guaranteed to bring a smile to any retailer's face. None of this fussy 'were they ever seen together?' stuff!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

43 minutes ago, Edge said:

Just purchased the SR lined black example. Will look good alongside a W1 and a Stirling single :)

39 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

An outlook guaranteed to bring a smile to any retailer's face. None of this fussy 'were they ever seen together?' stuff!

You've said it now, he'll have to sell the Stirling Single.

• Funny 2

The joys of planning a model railway based in preservation :). I’m hoping for it to be an exhibition layout and I can’t wait for vocal rivet counters to tell me all for the problems with it :) 

it’s also got a grey 1361, a LBSCR Atlantic, a regional railways 37, a Bulleid pacific with Stanier tender and a LNER green ‘A4’. 

Thinking about it, if this gets out into the exhibitions it may be detrimental to the health of the vocal rivet counter brigade...

Edited by Edge
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

Having a selection of BWT's from the first two batches i'm quite tempted by the Southern 'as Preserved' green livery.

However, did the BWT ever carry this livery or is it just a 20th century preservation thing?

If it did, what coaching stock would it have been coupled with? I don't see the Gate stock (which i have several sets) as being suitable as the BWT doesn't appear to have the P-P gear. But i'm no expert, maybe someone here can elaborate.

52 minutes ago, tender said:

Having a selection of BWT's from the first two batches i'm quite tempted by the Southern 'as Preserved' green livery.

However, did the BWT ever carry this livery or is it just a 20th century preservation thing?

If it did, what coaching stock would it have been coupled with? I don't see the Gate stock (which i have several sets) as being suitable as the BWT doesn't appear to have the P-P gear. But i'm no expert, maybe someone here can elaborate.

I can pretty categorically say that the loco never carried that livery in service to SR or BR (to my mind it’s unlikely similar to this was carried under the LSWR either, but my knowledge of that railway is limited so I’m not too sure). I’ve been unable to track down the details of the loco in this livery myself, but I’d imagine that it was an early preservation livery myself. 

Edited by Edge
  • Thanks 1

The video of my Well Tank with the Gate Stock was purely to show what EFE were releasing, not to indicate in anyway what happened in real life. The Gate Stock in the video is the original Kernow version set 374, EFE’s will be set 373 due next week.

The Well Tank Green version represents how the engine appeared as a static exhibit in the Museum at Buckfastleigh around 1997 https://sremg.org.uk/steam/0298_04.html

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Edge said:

I can pretty categorically say that the loco never carried that livery in service to SR or BR (to my mind it’s unlikely similar to this was carried under the LSWR either, but my knowledge of that railway is limited so I’m not too sure). I’ve been unable to track down the details of the loco in this livery myself, but I’d imagine that it was an early preservation livery myself. 

Even if it did carry the livery the loco is wrong for the livery in anything other than preserved form - it was rebuilt, at the very least the chimney is the wrong one for LSWR.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Edge said:

7 minutes ago, Yankee said:

The Well Tank Green version represents how the engine appeared as a static exhibit in the Museum at Buckfastleigh around 1997 https://sremg.org.uk/steam/0298_04.html

Ah well, that's saved me £100+

• RMweb Gold

No. 3298 is in the Southern lined green livery as preserved at Buckfastleigh between April 1978 and December 2001.

The Well tanks would not have run with the Gate stock (other than under rule 1)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

52 minutes ago, tender said:

Ah well, that's saved me £100+

You probably wouldn't say that if you had it in your hand.

When I went to collect mine with my colleague he had only ordered the Green Lined version and no intention of buying the Green, but a soon as I opened the box with my Green one in he said I've got to have one of those and he's usually a sticker for accuracy https://cpineroad.blogspot.com/ . We all succumb to rule 1 at some time in our modeling life.

Wouldn't be surprised to see one pop up on Canute Road or make its way towards Salisbury. ?

Edited by Yankee
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There's a photo in C F D Whetmath's Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway book of 30585 at Bodmin General on 13 July 1962 with a single Bulleid coach in tow. The caption says it was possibly the last time it worked an ordinary passenger train. Can't tell from the picture whether it's a short or long Bulleid and what type it is.

Up until Grouping they would have looked like this. The driving ends didn't get modified like the Kernow models until about 1929.

These coaches started life as Kernow models and were converted by a club member so could be done if you really wanted one. 

1537658180_Faulknergate2png.png.b9f4ca5fa01d39df9d6a557b1784146b.png

Faulkner1 2.png

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

3 hours ago, Yankee said:

You probably wouldn't say that if you had it in your hand.

When I went to collect mine with my colleague he had only ordered the Green Lined version and no intention of buying the Green, but a soon as I opened the box with my Green one in he said I've got to have one of those and he's usually a sticker for accuracy https://cpineroad.blogspot.com/ . We all succumb to rule 1 at some time in our modeling life.

Wouldn't be surprised to see one pop up on Canute Road or make its way towards Salisbury. ?

agreed, the full green liveried one looks damn good. I can only afford one of them though and even I would notice two locos of the same class and with the same number running together. And have vague plans for a future SR layout, so went for the one in what could have been a prototypical livery.

EDIT: Upo0n reflection, i had also noiced that in some of the shots of the loco i saw on the Kerow website, the green driving wheels looked a little too "plastic" for my liking. Doesnt look like thats something that actualy seems too evident in real life though.

Edited by Edge

• RMweb Gold

i took a trip to Tony's trains in saturday having said i'd be picking up the SR black, i made the mistake of asking to look a the preserved green, i think took about 20 minutes trying to decide to before invoking rule one and walked away with preserved green. its a stunning little loco, as Tony said, its eye candy!

it does have the seem line across the top of boiler but i can live with that (did it have this in real life)?

i'm just adding the detail back, fitted some nice 3 link couplings to the front i got from accurascale.

took some pics, i'll post them up in due course

Edited by jonnyuk

1 hour ago, leeadavo said:

My first attempt at a review video:

Yes, I enjoyed this review  video - interesting variety of scenes, nice views of the loco running on a 'real' model railway, pleasant commentary, not boring, not opinionated. Good first review - more of the same I hope.

• Like 1