EFE Rail Winter 2020 Announcements - Beattie Well Tank, Gate Stock, Class 58, Cargowaggons plus 2 new N gauge projects.

AY Mod

17 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Bachmann could take a leaf out of EFE Rail's book with that packaging.

EFE are Bachmann, like Farish are Bachmann. And Farish/Bachmann use that packaging on those branded  products.

Edited by grahame

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, grahame said:

EFE are Bachmann, like Farish are Bachmann. And Farish/Bachmann use that packaging on those branded  products.

I know. My point being if Bachmann can use this - better - packaging for EFE Rail, then why not roll it out for all.

23 hours ago, 90rob said:

Yes, I enjoyed this review  video - interesting variety of scenes, nice views of the loco running on a 'real' model railway, pleasant commentary, not boring, not opinionated. Good first review - more of the same I hope.

Thank you for your kind comments.

Edited by leeadavo
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, scumcat said:

I thought that Bachmann are just the distributors and not the manufacturer. So not really the same

I didn't say 'the same'. But they own the brand so would no doubt specify the packing (to ensure that the brand was correctly featured and promoted, along with the corporate colours, following the corporate design) as well as distribution and marketing. Earlier in the thread are the photos showing differences in packing from the original brand manufacturers and the EFE version. As Farish use that style of packing insert then most likely there is a Bachmann influence.

Edited by grahame

My only gripe with the packaging is that it stands out a mile. The wife had got so used to seeing the red and yellow and red and blue she didn’t notice another new arrival.  Now I get “that one’s new isn’t it, how much did that cost. “  and the box is so big you can’t say “Oh it’s only a small wagon dear”

• Like 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Help needed.

I just took delivery of a Kernow EFE Beattie Well tank in SR lined black.

She is lovely and even runs well.

But I can not get past the fact she leans noticeably to the left, or right when seen from behind.

Sorry about the out of focus shots but you can see my issue.

I have tried to encourage the running plate up, and had the body off but it looks somehow that the chassis is the issue.

I am super scared that they won't have a replacement for me and this model has great sentimental value as it is the last one dad arranged for me.

Is there a known fix for this please?

Thanks

Mike

IMG_5995.jpg

IMG_5996.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, mikesndbs said:

Help needed.

But I can not get past the fact she leans noticeably to the left, or right when seen from behind.

I have tried to encourage the running plate up, and had the body off but it looks somehow that the chassis is the issue.

I am super scared that they won't have a replacement for me and this model has great sentimental value as it is the last one dad arranged for me.

Thanks

Mike

IMG_5995.jpg

IMG_5996.jpg

Not sure where you bought it from but they still seem to be in stock at Kernow and Rails (for example), so would've thought you could return it without too much fear of missing out. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the strategy of using EFE/Bachman to get models to a wider audience is working. I’d never really cottoned on to the well tank except as passing mentions in the DJM debacle. Had an email from Rails about it and am now very seriously tempted by a green one. 

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

I think the strategy of using EFE/Bachman to get models to a wider audience is working. I’d never really cottoned on to the well tank except as passing mentions in the DJM debacle. Had an email from Rails about it and am now very seriously tempted by a green one. 

do it.....i bought the green one on Saturday, all detailed up and it's stunning. Of course went to get the SR black as that is my era but then saw the green one and could not resist.....rule one and all that.

not noticed any leaning, i will have to check tonight.

Edited by jonnyuk

I bought the green one which arrived today. I'm more impressed with the finesse and detail than I have been on any other model in the past few years. Really didn't expect it to look THAT good. No leaning either.

Ps defo rule 1 for me as I model GWR, but at least I'll run it with clays so it's half way there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Having received the new version of the gate stock, in BR unlined crimson, it highlighted the design faults in the earlier lined maroon version, as Kernow have corrected the positioning of the underframe equipment. I've bitten the bullet and am nearly through correcting the earlier version. The brake activating gear needs to be moved to the other side for both gear sets on each coach. The complication is that the cylinder is part of the underframe moulding, so needs to be drilled out. All of the battery boxes on the driving trailer need to be repositioned, which can only be done once the brake gear is corrected. I managed to remove the brake hangers and rods, by cutting through at the joint in the floor. The cylinders have to be remade, I used filled plastic rod of the correct diameter, the holes created by drilling out need to be filled. I've completed the driving trailer and am half way through the trailing coach. Much swearing took place quoting Dave Jones, who managed the design and production of the original versions!!!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, rembrow said:

Having received the new version of the gate stock, in BR unlined crimson, it highlighted the design faults in the earlier lined maroon version, as Kernow have corrected the positioning of the underframe equipment.

Sounds great. Looking forwards to the Maunsell Green set being released. 

On 13/11/2020 at 13:08, Edge said:

The joys of planning a model railway based in preservation..

Thinking about it, if this gets out into the exhibitions it may be detrimental to the health of the vocal rivet counter brigade...

I limit preserved eras on my layout to genuine preserved locos but even then its care needed to run which ones together as to when they did actually run

The pub on the layout is The Hanging Rivet Counter.

With regard to the Gate Stock might Kernow make replacement chassis available?

8 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

I limit preserved eras on my layout to genuine preserved locos but even then its care needed to run which ones together as to when they did actually run

The pub on the layout is The Hanging Rivet Counter.

With regard to the Gate Stock might Kernow make replacement chassis available?

to take the thread even further off topic the plan for the layout is to portray it more or less in the present day when new builds have started taking off and I have an excuse to run pretty much anything I want using either ‘new build’ or ‘repaint to imitate a classmate’ as an excuse. Furthmore the plan is to depict a steam gala, so ‘visiting loco’ becomes a thing as well. The idea being to exhibit such varied an incongruous stock in a seemingly realistic setting.

To return to the topic at hand, 3298 has just arrived and will be tested pronto. If she works, she will look great on a couple of Hattons Genesis coaches :)  

On 17/11/2020 at 18:03, Yankee said:

My only gripe with the packaging is that it stands out a mile. The wife had got so used to seeing the red and yellow and red and blue she didn’t notice another new arrival.  Now I get “that one’s new isn’t it, how much did that cost. “  and the box is so big you can’t say “Oh it’s only a small wagon dear”

Yeah, takes up twice the space compared to the Kernow boxes. How do they expect us to buy more if they take up more space to store them?

My other gripe (which someone else mentioned), you have to remove the couplings to put it back in the box again.

But that well tank is a beauty in SR green. 

Edited by JSpencer

3 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Yeah, takes up twice the space compared to the Kernow boxes. How do they expect us to buy more if they take up more space to store them?

My other gripe (which someone else mentioned), you have to remove the couplings to put it back in the box again.

Surely its trimmable with a knife or similar 

On 20/11/2020 at 22:20, Butler Henderson said:

It will probably become too fragile/floppy to fold back up and hold the model securely. You have to be careful that it does not misalgn and squish the chimney  whistle.

Edited by JSpencer

On 17/11/2020 at 20:20, mikesndbs said:

Help needed.

Thanks

Mike

IMG_5995.jpg

IMG_5996.jpg

One of my well tanks did the same after trying to fit DCC sound. Its probably a wire for the chip holder sitting on the chassis block to one side rather than going over the top. Pushing the body to lean to one side.

I remember them not being easy beasts to get apart on my Kernow/Dapol then Kernow/DJM versions I have. 

Edited by JSpencer

44 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

They are, and its a definite minor quibble - but I’ve now paid £119 for a well tank and £125 for a J94 and I cannot store either with the couplings installed or without handling them a hell of a lot whenever I want to put them on the track or back in the box. You can pick up a model of Smokey Joe for a fraction of that and that’s got space for the couplings in its packaging. Spoiling the ship and all that... Hornby, Heljan, Dapol and Bachmann all leave room in their packaging for it, so it’s something of a mystery to me as to why EFE hasn’t.

not a dealbreaker for me at all, if they keep on producing interesting stuff I shall keep buying it, this is just a niggle that irritates on such highly priced models

Edited by Edge

1 hour ago, Edge said:

They are, and its a definite minor quibble - but I’ve now paid £119 for a well tank and £125 for a J94 and I cannot store either with the couplings installed or without handling them a hell of a lot whenever I want to put them on the track or back in the box. You can pick up a model of Smokey Joe for a fraction of that and that’s got space for the couplings in its packaging. Spoiling the ship and all that... Hornby, Heljan, Dapol and Bachmann all leave room in their packaging for it, so it’s something of a mystery to me as to why EFE hasn’t.

Um.. I have trimmed Hornby,Bachmann etc packaging to get locos back in with couplings etc on so I would not say it a EFE only thing.