EFE Rail Winter 2020 Announcements - Beattie Well Tank, Gate Stock, Class 58, Cargowaggons plus 2 new N gauge projects.

AY Mod

19 hours ago, scumcat said:

I always wonder why some modellers scoff at running on the carpet. It is were I started and probably many others, my kids who are 5 and 8 love Sams videos because it is accessible to them and actually parts are aimed at them, why would we not want to encourage the next generation. Sam gave my son a shout out a couple of weeks ago he was made up and played sams trains for hours down on the floor. 

Getting on for 70 years ago I have vague memories of one make of toy trains being described as for table top use. It would seem that old message needs to be revived. 

Bernard

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Getting on for 70 years ago I have vague memories of one make of toy trains being described as for table top use. It would seem that old message needs to be revived. 

Bernard

It is interesting the perception here in the UK - there is an American model railroad thread on Reddit where carpet and table top layouts are incredibly common and never criticised.

Roy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I hear temporary floor and table layouts are common in Japan too, due to house sizes, and smaller houses and flats is a direction the UK has been heading in for some time.

For clarity Sam's Trains layout has a gradient (i.e. a sloping floor), and that is where the BWT runs out of traction. Has anyone got any performance data on a quantified gradient? Pulling 5 coaches on the flat is not the full story for those wanting to go uphill.

Edited by stovepipe
spelling...
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

I agree with Sam's comment about the rear splasher going right across the cab. I wonder if any of the figure makers have produced a crew that will take that into account and help to hide the problem ? I do not remember noticing that on my original Kernow one.

Ray

Like the real one then....

Just shows how nonsensical the review is. No knowledge of what the real thing even is. To most of these reviewers they are just pretty coloured toy trains.

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co205775/steam-locomotive-beattie-well-tank-steam-locomotive

If he means it goes right across then can he kindly tell us how to to avoid it on such a small model.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
Added the bottom bit.
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Like the real one then....

If he means it goes right across then can he kindly tell us how to to avoid it on such a small model.

Jason

Not entirely like the real one, but in the same breath its not something that a crew fitted in the cab can't hide.

I didn't take away from it that he meant across the cab access, he clearly meant across the width of the cab as he started chuntering on about how do you put coal in the firebox when there is a hulking great lump of plastic through the entire cab. That is something which was brought up when these models first surfaced, so its not exactly breaking news.

re: the traction, I wonder how much of an influence that sprung front axle has in lifting the front drivers, there were instances in his video where it appeared to begin to slip even running light. If traction is that much of an issue then softening the spring should help somewhat, as would some extra ballast in the bunker. My Austerity is similar, very light and poorly balanced, it just shows up less on a 6 wheel driven chassis.

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Zunnan said:

Not entirely like the real one, but in the same breath its not something that a crew fitted in the cab can't hide.

I didn't take away from it that he meant across the cab access, he clearly meant across the width of the cab as he started chuntering on about how do you put coal in the firebox when there is a hulking great lump of plastic through the entire cab. That is something which was brought up when these models first surfaced, so its not exactly breaking news.

re: the traction, I wonder how much of an influence that sprung front axle has in lifting the front drivers, there were instances in his video where it appeared to begin to slip even running light. If traction is that much of an issue then softening the spring should help somewhat, as would some extra ballast in the bunker. My Austerity is similar, very light and poorly balanced, it just shows up less on a 6 wheel driven chassis.

My 3 locos front axle springs quite easily. I can crank the controller up to full whack suddenly and there is no wheel slip with no load. Maybe his wiper pickups on the front axle are a little too tight preventing the front axle turning and lifting the loco front drivers up a tad.

I will admit that there are design features of that chassis which I'm not at all a fan of but then I seem to remember the character involved in this design. To me its N gauge practice scaled up to OO. They do run smooth though and are adequate for the loads expected. Just need that road van to finish off my china clay train.

8 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

II got my new lined Southern BWT last week. No major problems with it with regard to bits missing or stuck on crookedly and the livery is applied very nicely. A little bit of painting around the buffers will help them to blend in with rest of the loco and hide their plastic-ness, plus some weathering of the brake gear and other below footplate fittings.

I agree with Sam's comment about the rear splasher going right across the cab. I wonder if any of the figure makers have produced a crew that will take that into account and help to hide the problem ? I do not remember noticing that on my original Kernow one.

I got around to testing it yesterday and it works ok and the only issue is I think that it runs very fast on the minimum power, albeit using a fairly basic controller which I use to test everything. I would say that tested in the same way I have found that Hattons  Andrew Barclay and Hornby's Pecketts also run faster than I would expect. One of the best locos for slow running and shunting is in my opinion, is the original Dapol tooled Terrier, 50.5 to 1 gearing if I recall. Far better than the new Rails or Hornby ones, so one saving grace.

Ray

Probably  because it had closed cab doors.

Bernard

• Funny 2

There are a number of observations here, regarding the EFE Well tank and responses.

Firstly you all know mine was leaning to one side and I made the mistake of asking if there was a fix.

Well later I have discovered there might have been, another YouTube channel had the same issue and found the wheel bearing had not been fully pushed home in the chassis. So in case this might help someone else I am recording the idea here and now.

I have read all the comments about a younger YouTube reviewer.

For me, his points were perfectly valid from a ‘new to the loco’ person.

And in fact, the poor plastic mouldings and bad decoration were in my opinion worthy of pointing out.

The fact he runs on a carpet is down to him, I am just jealous he has the knees that can do it lol

But some of the comments here were uncalled for, all these folk that watched it with an ‘angry from Surrey’ intention.

Model railways takes all sorts and everyone can have a view and opinion, the channel in question appeals ‘massively’ to just the sort of audience we need to be in the hobby and keeping it alive.

Now, while I wait nervously for my replacement Well tank, has his review put me off? No, not really I still want it for what it represents and I am confident it will do all I ask of it.

But is it worth the RRP given its all plastic? Only if you have that money to spare I guess.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Interesting comments referring to the haulage capacity, and indeed comparisons with Sam's Trains' comments.

I would have expected 3 or 4 carriages to be typical, surely rarely more than 4?

Were I to purchase one, I wouldn't expect it to be matching a Flying Scotsman or A2 or P2, and not a Pannier or Jinty either, that's not the point.

The basics are there and it's a nice little locomotive, but ... 

Al.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikesndbs said:

There are a number of observations here, regarding the EFE Well tank and responses.

Firstly you all know mine was leaning to one side and I made the mistake of asking if there was a fix.

Well later I have discovered there might have been, another YouTube channel had the same issue and found the wheel bearing had not been fully pushed home in the chassis. So in case this might help someone else I am recording the idea here and now.

I have read all the comments about a younger YouTube reviewer.

For me, his points were perfectly valid from a ‘new to the loco’ person.

And in fact, the poor plastic mouldings and bad decoration were in my opinion worthy of pointing out.

The fact he runs on a carpet is down to him, I am just jealous he has the knees that can do it lol

But some of the comments here were uncalled for, all these folk that watched it with an ‘angry from Surrey’ intention.

Model railways takes all sorts and everyone can have a view and opinion, the channel in question appeals ‘massively’ to just the sort of audience we need to be in the hobby and keeping it alive.

Now, while I wait nervously for my replacement Well tank, has his review put me off? No, not really I still want it for what it represents and I am confident it will do all I ask of it.

But is it worth the RRP given its all plastic? Only if you have that money to spare I guess.

See the other problem is the fact he thinns it should have thd pulling strength of something like a terrier or jinty, those are the main issues why a lot of us took the mickey wirh his review, he doesn't focus on the model's prototypical basis and comapres any model to ones that make no sense of comparison, and on his news video didn't bother to mention about the 30 quid deposit when moaning about the price of the Rails/Locomotion Bachmann LNWR Jumbo.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scumcat said:

That’s ok but my table top isn’t big enough :(

Families tended to be much larger in those days.:D

Grandma had a farmhouse table that could be opened up by turning a handle attached to a long threaded rod and a spare section inserted. At full size it was bigger than an 8 x 4 board.

I take Sam with a very large pinch of salt. He is trying to flog his services and as such needs to be a bit controversial. I got as far as the comment regarding   coreless motors. That immediately tells me who he is aiming at. Funnily enough the adverts flagged up another video in which he heaped praise on the Rapido J70.

Bernard

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Probably  because it had closed cab doors.

Bernard

Hi Bernard.

The moulding for the rear splasher actually extends right across the width of the cab with no gap for the fire hole area. So there is only a small amount of flat floor space is available to fit a couple of crew figures towards the rear of the cab.

Ray

22 hours ago, stovepipe said:

I hear temporary floor and table layouts are common in Japan too, due to house sizes, and smaller houses and flats is a direction the UK has been heading in for some time.

For clarity Sam's Trains layout has a gradient (i.e. a sloping floor), and that is where the BWT runs out of traction. Has anyone got any performance data on a quantified gradient? Pulling 5 coaches on the flat is not the full story for those wanting to go uphill.

Japanese track such as Kato has moulded bases which reduces the risk of dust and fluff from the floor getting into mechanisms, and the sturdy clip-together track sections seem designed for regular assembly and dismantling.

Over 50 years ago 'my' first railway used Tri-ang track which clipped together; my father cut a large piece of hardboard which went between the carpet and the track.  I think it was kept in the shed when out of use and brought into the living room when needed.

• Like 1

I have the Beattie with square splashes, Late BR. I've found that it sits lower at the rear, so the rear buffers are about 2mm lower than the front, when checked to a common source. Only checked this as I thought that the boiler seemed to be off level, lower at the fiebox end. The front wheels are sprung, so you can't check if a set of driving  wheels is seated wrongly. Is this a common feature?

1 hour ago, sjp23480 said:

Hi,

Does anyone know when the Southern livery gate stock will arrive in stores (EFE E86002)?  Hoping to pick one up in time to gift as a Christmas present.

Many thanks

Steve

This week apparently according to rails. I'm looking forwards to getting a set myself.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The irony of it was he doesn't like Coreless motors but when he tested the loco it had a very good crawl and overall a good performance , which is why he scored performance high . So he does have an open mind . The issue was it couldn't cope with three coaches and he had to reduce it to two on the running test , so he marked it down in that particular section.   I do wonder if the springing of the front axle may have been to blame , as others have said , as to me it did look like the loco sat back at the rear . It was certainly slipping with no load at all. 

I think in Sam we have a model railway enthusiast . He admits he doesn't know about prototypes but he is very enthusiastic , and generally he makes a few good points and comparisons . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

i generally like watching Sam's video's. it's entertainment, he does get into the detail of the loco, running, performance etc. he does it all on a level playing field for all loco's so don't go blaming his track or carpet, it's the same for all loco's and most run ok.

picking up on one point about the BWT, the seem across the top of the boiler. I raised this before its release as an issue and was told their was not one. Having got the loco in my hand it's a horrible seem, so Sam has a valid point.

If i had not already bought said loco, would watching his video have swayed me not to purchase, i suspect so.

Having already got the loco though i can say i'm genuinely really pleased with it, lovely runner, looks great, from 4 ft back you can't tell it's cheap plastic tat :)

is it actually worth the money when compared to other sized loco's, no but if you want it, that's the price, so i paid up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rembrow said:

I have the Beattie with square splashes, Late BR. I've found that it sits lower at the rear, so the rear buffers are about 2mm lower than the front, when checked to a common source. Only checked this as I thought that the boiler seemed to be off level, lower at the fiebox end. The front wheels are sprung, so you can't check if a set of driving  wheels is seated wrongly. Is this a common feature?

The buffers are supposed to be lower at the rear, they were on the prototype.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

One thing that Sam appeared to have missed in his review was that the plastic footplate on his sample was bent, causing the cab to tilt backwards.  This appeared to also affect the rear buffers, one of which was clearly pointing downwards.  

Can someone please clarify for me.  Is this model the same one previously released by Kernow or a different tooling?

It is the same tooling.

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

One thing that Sam appeared to have missed in his review was that the plastic footplate on his sample was bent, causing the cab to tilt backwards.  This appeared to also affect the rear buffers, one of which was clearly pointing downwards.  

Can someone please clarify for me.  Is this model the same one previously released by Kernow or a different tooling?

This sort of answers your question:-

I scanned quite a lot of videos and photos (edit: of the real world Beattie Well Tank). The max load I've seen is 2 coaches and 1 CCT type van. The model handles that really well. The smaller weaker terriers can be seen on slightly bigger trains. Tractive effort is really just an estimate based on some figures the loco has. The terriers have their entire weight donated to adhesion which might explain the somewhat more powerful use.

The Well tank models don't strike me as being robust bits of kit but equally I'm not planning to work them as hard as various 1F tanks (which are larger) neither. On the other hand, they were not used for heavy shuntung either and here I would use the smaller wheel, more apt P class, B4 class or Terriers.

Mine generally work a few china clays and a break van and then not very often.

I suppose if you were looking for a small loco, the B4, B2, P, Terrier, J72, sentinal, peckets etc would make more logical choices. But if want a rare charming 2-4-0 antique tank loco, nothing really beats a Well tank.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1