EFE Rail Winter 2020 Announcements - Beattie Well Tank, Gate Stock, Class 58, Cargowaggons plus 2 new N gauge projects.

AY Mod

On 03/11/2020 at 10:35, acg5324 said:

Do we now have two N gauge Shark brakevans with the KR Models one?

On 03/11/2020 at 12:07, Paddy said:

I doubt it as one exists and the other does not...

In NGauge Journal 6/20 received today, there is an advert by KR Models showing that their Shark is in the final stages of CAD design...(page 81)

Model Rail also landed on my door mat in the same post today. Page 8 shows the EFE shark.

Both the KR Models and EFE Shark appear to have the same origin i.e. Ex. DJM.

I do recall at the Fareham Show Sept 2019 Dave Jones had what looked like a first EP sample. 

Perhaps KRM bought the CAD and EFE bought the tooling?

Alan.

Edited by alan24

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, alan24 said:

Perhaps KRM bought the CAD and EFE bought the tooling?

I think that is the general consensus of what happened and I believe the KR version has now been dropped in light of the EFE version being imminent. 

KR only got to expressions of interest stage anyway as per their other potential N scale offerings of which so far, none seem to have got anywhere. 

24 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I think that is the general consensus of what happened and I believe the KR version has now been dropped in light of the EFE version being imminent. 

KR only got to expressions of interest stage anyway as per their other potential N scale offerings of which so far, none seem to have got anywhere. 

I am still hoping that there is a tooling for the King which we are not yet aware of and will turn up with EFE in the Spring.

Of course it is highly unlikely but one can hope.

On 22/11/2020 at 14:13, Oldddudders said:

Why does having an online channel have to make you money? I am not aware that YouTube costs money to join, so it doesn't need to pay for itself. But I suppose if you are Sam, buying every loco in the shop and trying it on the carpet for the benefit of the modelling nation, you have a 'habit' to support. 

One might make the same argument for a lot of things - playing music, putting on a play, painting a picture or anything creative doesn't have to make money, but if you can, then why not? Admittedly I'm a little biased as a YouTuber myself.

• Like 1

On 24/11/2020 at 21:25, JSpencer said:

I scanned quite a lot of videos and photos (edit: of the real world Beattie Well Tank). The max load I've seen is 2 coaches and 1 CCT type van.

There is a Youtube video of 30587 pulling three Mk1s on the Avon Valley  (2 mins 50sec +)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuQ12HAAxFM&t=51s

Locos Illustrated 59 has  photo of 30586 at Wadebridge said to be backing onto a Bodmin train - if so it ran with 2 box vans between the loco and the two coaches

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So to rebalance things (see what I did) Kernow sent my replacement loco today and I have to say it is lovely, could not be more different than the one I had or the one Sam's Trains reviewed.

Just shows how important consistent quality control is!

• Like 7

Your video demonstrates the good running qualities of these locos very well, Mike.  Your lighting is very effective I reckon.

This thread has encouraged me to run my earlier Kernow and DJM versions a lot, still think it's remarkable that this prototype got made as an r-t-r model. 

One thing with the well tanks is that  their driving wheels were quite large (5' 7") for such a small loco so they have quite a stately gait  to them running along.   1366 locos ( their Wadebridge replacement) had 3' 8" wheels so the Heljan model just scurries along. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

30 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

Your video demonstrates the good running qualities of these locos very well, Mike.  Your lighting is very effective I reckon.

This thread has encouraged me to run my earlier Kernow and DJM versions a lot, still think it's remarkable that this prototype got made as an r-t-r model. 

One thing with the well tanks is that  their driving wheels were quite large (5' 7") for such a small loco so they have quite a stately gait  to them running along.   1366 locos ( their Wadebridge replacement) had 3' 8" wheels so the Heljan model just scurries along. 

Many thanks, most kind. I struggle with the lighting to be honest, getting something that works within the living room environment is hard going so its nice to hear you feel it to be good :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mikesndbs said:

So to rebalance things (see what I did) Kernow sent my replacement loco today and I have to say it is lovely, could not be more different than the one I had or the one Sam's Trains reviewed.

Just shows how important consistent quality control is!

It was the Well Tank that attracted me back to OO from N and I was never disappointed with either of my Kernow/DJM versions.  The only time they struggled was with Hornby ex LSWR coaches which had the brake gear rubbing on the wheels adding a lot of resistance - solved by hacking off the brake shoes.  My two 02s are also lovely runners, better than my Hornby M7s.

I'm glad you've now got a good one and can enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed running mine.

Edited by woodenhead
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Seems to be a major failing of the Sam's Trains concept, if he has a duffer he doesn't return it he just accepts it.   If manufactures srarted getting significant rejections consistant QC would be a priority.  They already have it too much their own way as the limited production run way in which most ooerate now means people are unwilling to return a model knowing they're unlikely to get a replacement.

Also maybe its my age but I don't get the die cast fetish, it used to be plastic mean high fidelity moulds and die cast meant crude.

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, Pmorgancym said:

Also maybe its my age but I don't get the die cast fetish, it used to be plastic mean high fidelity moulds and die cast meant crude.

The casting alloys available now allow detail comparable with injection moulded plastic with the bonus that they can be denser than the old mazak material, and offer extra weight which benefits traction on small models. The new generation of Arnold N steam locos use cast metal for many body parts.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

Seems to be a major failing of the Sam's Trains concept, if he has a duffer he doesn't return it he just accepts it.   If manufactures srarted getting significant rejections consistant QC would be a priority.  They already have it too much their own way as the limited production run way in which most ooerate now means people are unwilling to return a model knowing they're unlikely to get a replacement.

Diecast

Its following the weight obsession of a few, who must  have a heavy Loco , so they can then pull large trains . It maybe cheaper to make, than a plastic mould as well.

1 minute ago, micklner said:

Diecast

Its following the weight obsession of a few, who must  have a heavy Loco , so they can then pull large trains . 

You make it sound like it's a bad thing! ;)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, 'CHARD said:

Ahh!  Having never known of such a thing, I defer to your experience.

As @micklnersays modifications to cast components can be a pita. I’ve one to do imminently, moving some footsteps. The removal no problem, the replacement will be a bit of an challenge. The same with a Bachmann Derby lightweight, to fit sprung buffers. Still scratching me head on that one! Combining separate materials across the model is the way to go I think, and Bachmann and Hornby with steam prototypes have done some excellent recent releases. For example the HJ 128 doesn’t need to be as heavy as it is, the same I feel with the 1st gen Bachmann DMU’s, the weight could have been smaller without significant effect to performance and allowed more internal details. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

Seems to be a major failing of the Sam's Trains concept, if he has a duffer he doesn't return it he just accepts it. 

The fact, if the video is in the correct order, he dismantled it before running it would have broken any warranty; wonder if did he put back together right. He got it from Derails who normally test before despatch.

I've been through the thread on the original release by Dapol and the only critical comment I spotted was to do with the moulded coal load. No one remarked over the full width splasher

Price wise the original release in 2012 was £91.19 which was considered expensive then; which becomes £108.39 today on a direct inflation calculation but in the same period wages paid in Chinese manufacturing  have increased close on 90%. 

• RMweb Premium

Extremely unlikely given that a lot of DJM's product output was basically waffle and hot air.  Unless there was a physically produced model previously or a EP or finalised CAD, everything else that was supposed to be released by Dodgy Dave is basically a non starter.

I am not even convinced that his N Gauge King is ever going to resurface again in any form.

• Agree 1

On 30/11/2020 at 18:23, John M Upton said:

Extremely unlikely given that a lot of DJM's product output was basically waffle and hot air.  Unless there was a physically produced model previously or a EP or finalised CAD, everything else that was supposed to be released by Dodgy Dave is basically a non starter.

I am not even convinced that his N Gauge King is ever going to resurface again in any form.

I wondering if the 74 CADS ever existed to eventually appear in the EFE range. But I'm pretty confident it won't and I would need big reassurances that the chassis was greatly improved over the 71 to buy one.

On 30/11/2020 at 15:58, Two_sugars said:

DJMhad an N gauge LNER Q in the pipeline. Does anyone know if this is being advanced?

John

The Q6. It didn't even get as far as CAD after Hornby showed themselves much more fleet of foot with the OO one.

Les

• Thanks 1