EFE Rail Winter 2020 Announcements - Beattie Well Tank, Gate Stock, Class 58, Cargowaggons plus 2 new N gauge projects.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

I don't think anyone has got their hands on an EFE class 58 yet, they are not due in the shops until next week. Hejan locos have quite fine wheel sets, which might make them more susceptible to track imperfections than other makes, but its always worth checking wheel back to back dimensions are correct.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Mooresby said:

I know that this is on the EFE thread but as the 58 is effectively the Heljan 58 I wondered if anyone has experienced issues with the model derailing on curves?  It only happens in one direction of travel and has got me bamboozled!  I've started a thread on the Heljan product page but as yet no nibbles.  Many thanks in advance for any help :)  

If you turn the loco around, does it still happen ?

Sound odd, but a dodgy wheel should derail in both directions. If its runs ok maybe something is wrong with the swing of the bogie.

Several times ive found things like the coupling fouling the screw link or air/vacuum pipes stopping the bogie from swinging on Heljan locos. The preferred Heljan coupling is a drop down coupling, that the hook then sits too low to the track, I swap them for Straight NEM couplings.

8 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Several times ive found things like the coupling fouling the screw link or air/vacuum pipes stopping the bogie from swinging on Heljan locos.

I can honestly say the coupling on the 58 will not be fouling on the vac pipe lol

• Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 15:59, Mooresby said:

I know that this is on the EFE thread but as the 58 is effectively the Heljan 58 I wondered if anyone has experienced issues with the model derailing on curves?  It only happens in one direction of travel and has got me bamboozled!  I've started a thread on the Heljan product page but as yet no nibbles.  Many thanks in advance for any help :)  

I get that problem only when the screw link couplings foul the NEM socket. But no issues on the class 58 I have.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

The Bachmann website shows that all 4 Class 58 locos have arrived.

Yes they have arrived in Camborne this morning, along with the Class 45s, and the pre-orders are being despatched today.

Edited by Graham_Muz

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 09/12/2020 at 13:13, Graham_Muz said:

see below, the wiper(s) varied between sets in both number and mounting position and time frame.

937653531_373extract.jpg.d14a50a26ceef8128cd759f642f97a52.jpg

On 09/12/2020 at 21:03, adb968008 said:

No one pointed out that on the picture shown, the glass is filthy, with what looks like a hand wiped patch on the glass to see out of...did the wipers work all ?

If you wiped a patch like that in the ice on your car windscreen, the police would stop you.

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

Both the N and OO gauge JIA wagons now have a release date of Aug/Sep.

OO gauge PBA wagons are due Jun/Jul.

Were these items supposed to be released within three months of the Winter announcement, similar to what should happen with Bachmann's own announcements ?

Ray

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just bought one of the Beattie well tanks. IIRC this has taken me nine years, because I saw one at Ally Pally in 2012 and decided to defer because I was out of work ("between jobs" in contractor terms). Then the model was sold out and then I overlooked the next three batches.

Anyway, if I have a point to make it is this. To fit the decoder, you lift off the smokebox door (a finger nail works), put in the decoder, and put back the smokebox door. The first loco I have ever chipped without having to use tools to dismantle. The first loco I may never need to take to pieces.

Surely, this kind of approach ought to become a standard practice? Even if this adds a few pounds to the works cost price of the model, surely there will be less damage during DCC fitting and fewer models returned for repair or replacement. Then again, I don't buy many 00 models but I'm guessing this hasn't caught on?

PS. The model I received from Kernow seems to be perfect.

- Richard.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 47137 said:

Anyway, if I have a point to make it is this. To fit the decoder, you lift off the smokebox door (a finger nail works), put in the decoder, and put back the smokebox door. The first loco I have ever chipped without having to use tools to dismantle. The first loco I may never need to take to pieces.

Surely, this kind of approach ought to become a standard practice? Even if this adds a few pounds to the works cost price of the model, surely there will be less damage during DCC fitting and fewer models returned for repair or replacement. Then again, I don't buy many 00 models but I'm guessing this hasn't caught on?

- Richard.

Hi Richard,

The 02 has the same style of fitment as does the J94 (both DJM and EFE versions), I think the Kernow 1361 and Hattons 14xx also have it (although I can’t remember exactly), you could say it was one of the few good things to come from Dave Jones.

Dapol have refined it even further with their Mogul, and plan to use it on their 2-6-2T. I believe they also use it in their O gauge locos.

I’m sure that there are other models which use it, but can’t remember at the moment. I think it’s a fantastic idea and should be continued.

Simon

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

Hi Richard,

The 02 has the same style of fitment as does the J94 (both DJM and EFE versions), I think the Kernow 1361 and Hattons 14xx also have it (although I can’t remember exactly), you could say it was one of the few good things to come from Dave Jones.

Dapol have refined it even further with their Mogul, and plan to use it on their 2-6-2T. I believe they also use it in their O gauge locos.

I’m sure that there are other models which use it, but can’t remember at the moment. I think it’s a fantastic idea and should be continued.

Simon

Talking to Andy at Dapol (when we gave him the Gwyn Humphries Award for it), the idea seems to have originated with him as the full-fat version now in Dapol's latest models, ie the slide-out tray behind the smokebox door.  Andy suggested it to Dave and the stripped-down version on your Beattie was applied to all DJ Models steamers.  Andy seemed bemused that Dave hadn't gone for the full system.....

The EFE J94 has a slightly smaller smokebox door than the DJM, I have both and it is less easy to get lots of bits through an EFE smokebox door for sound or stay-alive.  Is this also true of the Beattie?

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Les1952 said:

The EFE J94 has a slightly smaller smokebox door than the DJM, I have both and it is less easy to get lots of bits through an EFE smokebox door for sound or stay-alive.  Is this also true of the Beattie?

Les

I put a Zimo 617N into my Beattie. This is longer than the factory blanking plug and I felt something of a sense of relief as it worked its way in far enough to get the smokebox door back on. I don't think there is room for a stay alive - not enough height or depth. The Zimo 617N is very small (by my standards) too.

- Richard.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 06/06/2021 at 20:37, Les1952 said:

I have taken my Beattie to bits to see if I can add some extra weight. I don't know about the size of sound decoders but I cannot see any room to put a scrap of lead in a useful place:

P1030468a.JPG.0f8c2a307e3f2f0d16e0e7c1f2f7d852.JPG

The complete model has its centre of gravity a few mm behind the centre axle. If you were to remove the block of steel between the cylinders to make some space this would put more traction onto the rear axle but I'm not sure whether the pony wheels would stay on the track.

I have just stumbled upon the video by 'Sam' discussed here last November. To my mind the model is just about perfect. If the boiler were to be diecast, the centre of gravity would shift too far forwards. If the cab were to be die cast as well, it would look horrible. I wish the NEM pockets were on cams and the wheel treads had been polished or even turned in a lathe but this would take the model up towards Continental standards and of course pricing.

I bought a couple of Hornby coaches to go with mine:

P1030462a.JPG.c1776a075d3328e5b587b2b7fc562762.JPG

I have no idea whether this has a prototypical equivalent but somehow it pleases me, even in my late 20th century setting built for H0 scale. Sorry about the coach wheel :-)

- Richard.

• Like 4

The Beattie Well Tank model is 10 years old; the one thing that might well  work weight wise if the tooling were to be revised is a diecast running plate and at the same time the cab interior improved with the deletion of the full width splasher.

Edited by Butler Henderson
Typo corrected
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

The Beattie Well Tank model is 10 years old; the one thing that might well  work weight wise if the tooling were to be revised is a diecast running plate and at the same time the cab interior improved with the deletion of the full width splasher.

Not having had mine apart I suspect the full width splasher hides the gears.  I may be wrong.....

Les

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Les1952 said:

Not having had mine apart I suspect the full width splasher hides the gears.  I may be wrong.....

Les

I didn't dismantle mine any further, but there is a gear in there. There is a longitudinal shaft driving both of the driving wheels.

(Sorry I clicked the 'agree' button but realised this was ambiguous)

- Richard.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Missed out on these little Beattie beauties first time around.  So this EFE version, in BR late crest, has finally rocked up to Dubya Villas, coming yesterday courtesy of Model Railways Direct.  She ran like a dream straight from the box, admittedly only on the rolling road but nothing wrong with the running at all. Nice and slow after 30 minutes in each direction too.

Cheers :good_mini:

Edited by Tim Dubya
well, well, well
  • Like 1