EFE Rail Winter 2020 Announcements - Beattie Well Tank, Gate Stock, Class 58, Cargowaggons plus 2 new N gauge projects.

AY Mod

Worried this morning, the gate stock I ordered arrived and is lovely however the windscreen wiper looks as if it has been glued on the front in totally the wrong place!

Having looked at other models it appears to me that this is not just on my model, the wiper appears to be fixed randomly at the top or correctly at the bottom on many other peoples models!

Wrong.jpg

How it should be, below!

Correct.jpg

Edited by mikesndbs
added txt found out more
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

Great disapointment this morning, the gate stock I ordered arrived and is lovely however who ever the numpty was that assembled it has glued the windscreen wiper on the front in totally the wrong place!

No more in stock so I am faced with trying to carve it off and refit correctly or just return for refund.

I know some will accuse me of moaning but honestly there is no excuse for this shoddy workmanship.

I suppose we are meant to be happy that the wiper is on the front of the model :(

I just checked my SR Green one and it's the same, I wonder if they are all like this as the photo on Kernow's site shows the same fault http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/68898/E86002-EFE-Rail-LSWR-Push-Pull-Gate-Set-number-373-in-SR-Olive as do Rails and Bachmann;s own images.

The photos of red set 374 look like they were assembled correctly.

Martin

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, micklner said:

Look at the state of the surrounding paint as well . I would return and its not moaning !!

I had not noticed that!

I have been looking at books and online to see if there is any chance this is fitted in the right place.

All the real ones have the wiper fitted from the bottom left, yet even on the Kernow web page the K1002 is shown with this weird arrangement mine has?

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, mcowgill said:

I just checked my SR Green one and it's the same, I wonder if they are all like this as the photo on Kernow's site shows the same fault http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/68898/E86002-EFE-Rail-LSWR-Push-Pull-Gate-Set-number-373-in-SR-Olive as do Rails and Bachmann;s own images.

The photos of red set 374 look like they were assembled correctly.

Martin

Hi Martin

Yes that is what I am seeing, it does not even look like its the same part, or has it just been bent?

• RMweb Gold

1 hour ago, mikesndbs said:

Great disapointment this morning, the gate stock I ordered arrived and is lovely however who ever the numpty was that assembled it has glued the windscreen wiper on the front in totally the wrong place!

No more in stock so I am faced with trying to carve it off and refit correctly or just return for refund.

I know some will accuse me of moaning but honestly there is no excuse for this shoddy workmanship.

I suppose we are meant to be happy that the wiper is on the front of the model :(

Having looked at other models it appears to me that this is not just on my model, the wiper appears to be fixed randomly at the top or correctly at the bottom on many other peoples models!

Wrong.jpg

How it should be, below!

Correct.jpg

36 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

So come on am I just being stupid here or is it fitted wrongly, is it prototypical for set 373 at date?

I can't believe nobody would have not spotted this yet, so maybe it is right?

see below, the wiper(s) varied between sets in both number and mounting position and time frame.

937653531_373extract.jpg.d14a50a26ceef8128cd759f642f97a52.jpg

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

OH thanks god, RM web to the rescue again.

I do wonder if it was functional in that photo of 373, I'll edit my post accordingly. 

Much happier now

I dont think any of the wipers of any configuration were ever that functional or that well maintained, one of the reasons why their position and type varied over time.

Perhaps a little research prior to putting fingers to keyboards would be a better approach so as not to offend any "numpties" that might be reading...

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Perhaps a little research prior to putting fingers to keyboards would be a better approach so as not to offend any "numpties" that might be reading...

To be fair I looked everywhere even in a number of SR books.

It's great you found that photo, but interesting as it appears to show the wiper was not in contact with the glass??

Oddly photos of 373 have now turned up, even from that time frame and all have the wiped fitted as expected.

http://www.marcmodels.co.uk/Images/O Gauge Prototype - PP Gate Stock Set.pdf

How very intriguing! Wonder if it would be possible to move it?

Edited by mikesndbs
more info came to light

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, mikesndbs said:

To be fair I looked everywhere even in a number of SR books.

It's great you found that photo, but interesting as it appears to show the wiper was not in contact with the glass??

It's an extract (as I do not have the copyright to post the whole image) of one of the reference images used for the model development and variations. 

All the wiper versions were pretty crude affairs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

It's an extract (as I do not have the copyright to post the whole image) of one of the reference images used for the model development and variations. 

All the wiper versions were pretty crude affairs.

Well my day just got better anyway so I am grateful for the confirmation

Edited by mikesndbs
typo
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

Oddly photos of 373 have now turned up, even from that time frame and all have the wiped fitted as expected.

http://www.marcmodels.co.uk/Images/O Gauge Prototype - PP Gate Stock Set.pdf

How very intriguing! Wonder if it would be possible to move it?

The image in the PDF is in BR days and has the single rather than double wiper in the modified bottom left position, the model and the picture I posted earlier is as it was when in SR Olive Green. Note the left hand number position in SR gilt shaded lettering.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

Just for clarity, I note the coach number here as 2622 yet on the kodel has 6545 on it?

It was renumbered from 6545 to 2622 in August 1939 when it was downgraded to Third class, the picture I posted was taken c1947.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, mikesndbs said:

Looks like no, very good news

Again, can I please ask you to think how you go about things when you seek clarification?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, mikesndbs said:

So come on am I just being stupid here or is it fitted wrongly, is it prototypical for set 373 at date?

I think the clue is that it is a separate different shaped part/fitting compared with the bottom mounted one, so very unlikely to have been installed wrongly, otherwise it wouldn't sit with the blade sections over the glazing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

No one pointed out that on the picture shown, the glass is filthy, with what looks like a hand wiped patch on the glass to see out of...did the wipers work all ?

I did say earlier that the wipers were not particularly effecting hence the number of wipers and operating method changed during time. 

To expand on that, they were only really effective when the glass was

actually wet during rain. If the units had been used for a while in non pull push mode as was often the case the windows would get dirty and need cleaning by another method before use. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I know that this is on the EFE thread but as the 58 is effectively the Heljan 58 I wondered if anyone has experienced issues with the model derailing on curves?  It only happens in one direction of travel and has got me bamboozled!  I've started a thread on the Heljan product page but as yet no nibbles.  Many thanks in advance for any help :)