Jump to content

EFE Rail Winter 2020 Announcements - Beattie Well Tank, Gate Stock, Class 58, Cargowaggons plus 2 new N gauge projects.


Recommended Posts

  • RMweb Gold

It seems Sam isnt a fan of the well tank

 

New EFE Rail Beattie Well Tank | Unboxing & Review | (Plastic Tat) - YouTube

 

Edit : Tried to link the review but dosnt seem to want to

 

Edited by meatloaf
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, meatloaf said:

It seems Sam isnt a fan of the well tank

 

New EFE Rail Beattie Well Tank | Unboxing & Review | (Plastic Tat) - YouTube

 

Edit : Tried to link the review but dosnt seem to want to

 

For some reason he expected a spindly 2-4-0T to have a high pulling strength, I really think he should do more proper research as these locos don't even pull more than 2 carriages in preservation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

For some reason he expected a spindly 2-4-0T to have a high pulling strength, I really think he should do more proper research as these locos don't even pull more than 2 carriages in preservation.

 

I think Sam represents the general modeling public, he self admits he is not an expert in technical historic detail.

If EFE sells to the public then they can expect the public to have an opinion.

 

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

 

If EFE sells to the public then they can expect the public to have an opinion.

 

 

Although public opinion might be valid and worthy, it doesn't mean it is always correct. There's no harm in undertaking some research and trying to educate expectation if you choose to be a on-line spokesperson/mouthpiece/reviewer.

 

 

  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

This 0298 is not a new model, so his comparisons with newer designs are a little unrealistic. OTOH I have two from previous batches and they run a darn sight better than my 2019 Hornby terriers or Peckett B2. I never like Sam's 'in my face' form of presentation, irrespective of his findings. 

  • Like 3
  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

This 0298 is not a new model, so his comparisons with newer designs are a little unrealistic. OTOH I have two from previous batches and they run a darn sight better than my 2019 Hornby terriers or Peckett B2. I never like Sam's 'in my face' form of presentation, irrespective of his findings. 

I find sams reviews to be fair, this maybe an older model but it has a very modern price, and a lot of sams criticisms are very valid, the plastic details, the horrible unsightly seam on the boiler. The lack of weight therefore pulling power, my old style Hornby terrier will pull three coaches up a 3 % gradient, I agree with him that this model should not have a price tag of £140, I wonder if it’s so high because Bachmann are now taking a cut.  we in our family have to ration our model railway spend. I was seriously considering a BWT against a rails terrier. I don’t think either will get my pennies now

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a lot, probably all of his comments were well-founded.

 

It may simply be a re-issue of an old-tooling model, but certainly for the the price and in fair comparison with what is anticipated and expected of modern models being issued, a more representative price should have been applied.

 

Rough-moulded whistles and safety valves generally went out with the Ark, for example.

 

The Well Tank is an interesting addition to the repertoire of models available, but ... we're all entitled to our opinions, and as a fan of model railways, I find myself in agreement with virtually everything stated in his review.

 

Al.

  • Agree 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have recognised that Hornby have gone to moulded plastic whistles / valves whereas previously they were brass, turned ones.

 

It's possible the brass ones were more effect than accuracy - don't know - but these always look better, with nice sharp turned edges, no mould lines, nor 'dodgy paint'.

For model locomotives costing so much, perhaps £0.05 more for brass turned ones for me must add at least £5.00 to the perceived value.

 

Al.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

This 0298 is not a new model, so his comparisons with newer designs are a little unrealistic. OTOH I have two from previous batches and they run a darn sight better than my 2019 Hornby terriers or Peckett B2. I never like Sam's 'in my face' form of presentation, irrespective of his findings. 

I don't tend to watch Sam's trains unless drawn to him from an RMWeb link, I too don't like the style though he did correctly call out the bend in the Rails Terrier he tested. 

 

My concern with a lot of the online channels now on Youtube is the blurring of the relationships between them and certain retailers, some channels seem to be doing product placement and regular shop mentions.  Sadly you cannot make money from an online channel unless you have millions of viewers or you are sponsored.

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I don't tend to watch Sam's trains unless drawn to him from an RMWeb link, I too don't like the style though he did correctly call out the bend in the Rails Terrier he tested. 

 

My concern with a lot of the online channels now on Youtube is the blurring of the relationships between them and certain retailers, some channels seem to be doing product placement and regular shop mentions.  Sadly you cannot make money from an online channel unless you have millions of viewers or you are sponsored.

They are called "influencers" of course, guess that's the idea. Take with a pinch of salt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Sadly you cannot make money from an online channel unless you have millions of viewers or you are sponsored.

Why does having an online channel have to make you money? I am not aware that YouTube costs money to join, so it doesn't need to pay for itself. But I suppose if you are Sam, buying every loco in the shop and trying it on the carpet for the benefit of the modelling nation, you have a 'habit' to support. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My take on BWTs.  I still find it remarkable that a loco like the  well tank could ever be an r-t-r model, because of it's small size apart from anything else. I've got one of the original Kernow ones and a DJM one, both run very well. The chance of  another r-t-r well tank model being produced would be pretty unlikely for such a niche loco, so I'm happy to have them as they are. 

As at the end of their working lives they were the oldest locos on BR,  worth having for that alone.  However, as they were only ever based at Wadebridge shed, to run the models authentically would mean a) shunting Wadebridge yard with the square splasher one,  b) pulling a china clay or general goods train on the Wenford branch or c) very occasionally running a 2 coach train between Wadebridge and Padstow.

Otherwise railtours in London after withdrawal. Then preservation.  I do find it odd that EFE have produced one in green with the odd black dome, which was only carried in preservation while on display out of use. So it's a livery it carried but didn't actually operate in. :o

 

Anything else, rule 1.

 

Actually I really like Edge's preservation railway layout idea, a mixture of locos that could well have been preserved and appear together, which has the feel of a genuine preserved railway (and great fun, which is what railway modelling ought to be).

 

p.s. I've recently bought a Heljan 1366 loco to go with the BWTs, suddenly it's 1962 all over again!

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Why does having an online channel have to make you money? I am not aware that YouTube costs money to join, so it doesn't need to pay for itself. But I suppose if you are Sam, buying every loco in the shop and trying it on the carpet for the benefit of the modelling nation, you have a 'habit' to support. 

 

This is a big question you raise.

It does not 'have' to make money.

However in some cases and this is one of them, it's how they make a living, many YouTube channel owners make a living via it.

In my case (and I am yet to see a penny) I carry minimal ads and only have the partnership because it brings with it many helpful tools and support.

If I ever see anything back from it, it will go towards the ISP charges.

Should get my first payment in about two years lol

 

  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

 

This is a big question you raise.

It does not 'have' to make money.

However in some cases and this is one of them, it's how they make a living, many YouTube channel owners make a living via it.

In my case (and I am yet to see a penny) I carry minimal ads and only have the partnership because it brings with it many helpful tools and support.

If I ever see anything back from it, it will go towards the ISP charges.

Should get my first payment in about two years lol

 

Mike, seen some of your youtube vids in the past, just been looking at your Wrenn 2-6-4T one, very good, useful to me as I've got one on the bench to overhaul, bad running turned out to be caused by poor insulation of bogie wheels... you've reminded me of how well they can run!

Nice camera work.

  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, railroadbill said:

Mike, seen some of your youtube vids in the past, just been looking at your Wrenn 2-6-4T one, very good, useful to me as I've got one on the bench to overhaul, bad running turned out to be caused by poor insulation of bogie wheels... you've reminded me of how well they can run!

Nice camera work.

 

Thanks very much, Mine is back on the bench today to see if i can suppress that noise a bit more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Why does having an online channel have to make you money? I am not aware that YouTube costs money to join, so it doesn't need to pay for itself. But I suppose if you are Sam, buying every loco in the shop and trying it on the carpet for the benefit of the modelling nation, you have a 'habit' to support. 

I always wonder why some modellers scoff at running on the carpet. It is were I started and probably many others, my kids who are 5 and 8 love Sams videos because it is accessible to them and actually parts are aimed at them, why would we not want to encourage the next generation. Sam gave my son a shout out a couple of weeks ago he was made up and played sams trains for hours down on the floor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

 

How long have you got? 

Yes I understand the real issues. I’ve been doing this hobby for 47 years but as a kid who just wants to play trains or be inspired by an adult doing the same what is the harm in that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

Possibly the bearing at top of armature bit loose?

 

Seems ok, I replaced the ball bearings with 1/16th ones, I wonder if these are a wee bit too small?

With the brushes out and the adjuster set for a fraction of slack, the noise comes when pushed forwards which is when the armature moves downward slightly. Think I might just have to concede lol 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, scumcat said:

what is the harm in that?

 

It's not really a question for this topic but if the receptive audience is primary school aged kids it's demonstrating poor practices with products from the pricier end of the market which will ultimately end up with disappointment and frustration. If you're intent on reviewing higher end products do it on an appropriate base.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

 

It's not really a question for this topic but if the receptive audience is primary school aged kids it's demonstrating poor practices with products from the pricier end of the market which will ultimately end up with disappointment and frustration. If you're intent on reviewing higher end products do it on an appropriate base.

Fair enough, I don’t necessarily agree but I cannot argue with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.