Hornby Gresley corridor third coach for Beaminster Road

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

My interest is BR(S), the layout needs a single Gresley single corridor all-third coach and the Hornby range might provide a suitable model but which model. My knowledge is sadly lacking moreover Hornby seems to have offered two levels of detail over the years, is there a simple method of telling which to choose? 

Maunsell set 398 plus Gresley all-third image

Many thanks for your advice.

Edited by Jack Benson
Added link to image

• Guest changed the title to Hornby Gresley corridor third coach for Beaminster Road
Guest Jack Benson
25 minutes ago, trevor7598 said:

The Gresley corridor third in your image is an end vestibule example.

Hornby do not have this version in their range.

Thank you, 

their all third will do.

Cheers and stay safe

It's actually a composite, not an all third. You can tell by the alternating windows either with or without the ventilators.

The Hornby Railroad composite is too short (58'6" rather than 61'6") and the underframe belongs to an LMS carriage. The body shape itself is fairly good but the bogies are basic.

The super-detail carriages are better but not perfect. Hornby got the shape wrong on the lower panels (the tumblehome or turnunder is not pronounced enough so the carriage looks slab-sided) and some of the beading is in the wrong place. There are also some faults on the underframe (though I can't remember what they are).

The super-detail carriage would probably be your best bet unless you want to kit build. The faults are far less noticeable than on the Railroad version.

HTH

24 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

It's actually a composite, not an all third. You can tell by the alternating windows either with or without the ventilators.

Not true. It is I believe a D155 corridor third built from 1934 onwards. A composite would have different width panels between the windows whereas the photo appears to have even spaced panels.

• Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, MikeTrice said:

Not true. It is I believe a D155 corridor third built from 1934 onwards. A composite would have different width panels between the windows whereas the photo appears to have even spaced panels.

My apologies. I thought D155s didn't have ventilators on the corridor windows? As in this picture