Bachmann Collectors Club thanks the NHS and a S&DJR 1P

AY Mod

4 hours ago, No Decorum said:

As Andy says in the first post, limited to 504 models, of which 150 will be sound-fitted. I have my talons on a sound-fitted one. Some things just have to be ordered and the financing worried about later. Only an extra £100 for decent sound is a very good price, I think. Bachmann is very good that way.

I should have said that I’m blethering about the Slow & Dirty Jerky 0-4-4T.

I saw no where in the first post how many models were being produced, nor is it on the Bachmann website. Hence my genuine and reasonable question...seeing as sometimes Bachmann runs 750 unit limited editions whereby 500 are standard and 250 sound...Anyway, I have joined the club and pre-ordered. 'Tis only money! 

5 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Bachmann Collectors Club Celebrates Captain Tom and the NHS

The Bachmann Collectors Club has today announced its Pride of Britain Train Pack, the sale of which will allow Bachmann Europe to donate more than £60,000 to NHS Charities Together.

This exclusive pack not only celebrates Captain Tom Moore’s fundraising achievements ahead of his 100th birthday but also honours of the outstanding efforts of the NHS and all key workers during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Three packs will be available with each including a Class 66/7 locomotive No. 66731 ‘Capt. Tom Moore’ in GB Railreight’s ‘Thank You NHS’ livery and two Easy Model 1:72 scale aircraft – Hurricane LF363 and Spitfire MK356 – portraying the two aircraft that performed a flypast for Captain Tom on his 100th birthday.

The three packs available are as follows:

371-396K – N scale - £189.95

32-980K – OO scale - £199.95

32-980KSF – OO scale SOUND FITTED - £279.95

With delivery expected in early-2021, pre-ordering is highly recommended as these exclusive packs are being produced in strictly limited quantities and they will not be repeated. Preorders can be placed now at www.Bachmann-collectorsclub.co.uk or by calling 01455 245565.

1 minute ago, 159220 said:

I saw no where in the first post how many models were being produced, nor is it on the Bachmann website. Hence my genuine and reasonable question...seeing as sometimes Bachmann runs 750 unit limited editions whereby 500 are standard and 250 sound...Anyway, I have joined the club and pre-ordered. 'Tis only money! 

I think we’re somewhat cross purposes. I jumped to the conclusion (tut, tut) that you were talking about the 0-4-4T. It then occurred to me that you were talking about the 66 and edited my post for clarification. Put it down to S&DJR fever. Sorry about that.

14 minutes ago, 159220 said:

Without wanting to sound patronising, if there is £60,000 going to the charities as a result of this then 500=£120 per set, 750=£90 per set, 1000=£60 per set. Realistically given he said "all proceeds" in the video IIRC then It has got to be in that region IMO but I do understand why they won't say due to the insights it may give. They may be donating more for a sound one too.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RateTheFreight said:

Afternoon all,

Out of interest, is the SDJR livery authentic and if so what kind of timeframes are we talking for it’s existence? Did it exist post-grouping for example? I’m always a bit unclear how joint railways are covered livery wise!

thanks in advance. 

G

Hi, G. 

Yes, it is authentic. Previously numbered 1305, 54 came to the S&DJR in Jan 1921. It arrived in Midland lined Crimson albeit lettered and numbered as per the Bachmann offering announced today.  Its fair to work on the basis that sometime after this, 54 appeared in Prussion Blue as per. 

If so disposed, Bachmann could release 54 in Midland Crimson lettered SDJR as on arrival and also in Blue but lettered LMS as per 1930 when the S&D locos were  absorbed into LMS stock. 

So in effect, 1921 to 1930.....

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Given the many comments on points of accuracy of locos etc, it might be worth pointing that the Spitfire model included in the NHS set is a MkV, but the real MK356 is a MkIX. Visually they look different as the IX has a different different arrangement of underwing radiators as the Merlin 60 engines needed additional cooling for the two stage supercharger. The nose was longer and a four bladed propeller was fitted. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

Given the many comments on points of accuracy of locos etc, it might be worth pointing that the Spitfire model included in the NHS set is a MkV, but the real MK356 is a MkIX. Visually they look different as the IX has a different different arrangement of underwing radiators as the Merlin 60 engines needed additional cooling for the two stage supercharger. The nose was longer and a four bladed propeller was fitted. 

Spitfires are a complete minefield to model I bet! Are any of the marks visually identical?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

I too have rejoined the BCC and ordered the 1P.

Yup, me too.

I joined the collectors club a few years ago to get my hands on a S&DJR 4F and a SECR wagon pack but let membership lapse the following year as nothing I particularly wanted appeared.

Same with Hornby and their model of 263 now preserved at the Bluebell

12 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Spitfires are a complete minefield to model I bet! Are any of the marks visually identical?

Later MkI and the MkII are virtually identical, the main difference being a small blister on the MkII that covered the Coffman starter cartridge used by the Merlin XII and the propeller. Even within marks there can be noticeable differences due to changes during production runs. I am primarily a 1/72nd scale aircraft modeller and have a long term project to build all the major Spitfire/Seafire versions. I have finished twenty so far with about another twenty to go. 22,000 airframes built over a production run of nearly twelve years is a lot of Spitfires. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Deviousweegee said:

Hi can anyone tell me if the pride of britain pack is sold out? If not I'll be joining the club

Thanks 

Give them a call and they'll know the position in each scale - 01455 245565

1 hour ago, friscopete said:

Need some coaches now from Genesis fake or not .

I've been try to twist Hattons arm since announcement of the coaches! I think they might have underestimated their popularity... Especially with something like this!  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

I've been try to twist Hattons arm since announcement of the coaches! I think they might have underestimated their popularity... Especially with something like this!  

S&DJR Batch 3 apparently, Callum. 

L&SWR Batch 2. 

Rob. 

• Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

S&DJR Batch 3 apparently, Callum. 

L&SWR Batch 2. 

Rob. 

I know. But batch 3 is not confirmed (was trying to get them moved to batch 2 at least) ;)

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, SDJR7F88 said:

I know. But batch 3 is not confirmed (was trying to get them moved to batch 2 at least) ;)

Ah!.....I see. 

Would be useful to bring them forward.....in line with the South Western examples......

Whoop whoop!

Rob. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Ah!.....I see. 

Would be useful to bring them forward.....in line with the South Western examples......

Whoop whoop!

Rob. 

Indeed! Feel SDJR stock is very much over due, especially with the popularity of the livery and the number of RTR models in SDJR too, compared to say LNWR (referring to number of RTR locos on the market) which is a livery due to be released in the first batch...

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

I do find this enthusiasm for the Hattons coaches to be completely inexplicable. Here we have a superb model of an S&DJR engine and really horrendous models of coaches and they are both getting the same degree of critical acclaim.

Personally I would like very much to see accurate scale models of S&DJR rolling stock, passenger and freight, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime, if at all. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I agree totally. Could always dig out the old Hornby S&DJR 4 wheelers. :prankster:

Was there still four wheeled carriages on the S&DJR in the 1920s? Regardless of whether they were generic Hatton's style. All the photos I've seen on a quick Google search suggest the 0-4-4Ts worked with a pair of bogie coaches. Often with a NPCCS van of some description.

Four wheelers seem more 1890s, than 1920s.

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-lmsr/london-midland-scottish-railway/unassigned/ea88e824a

Jason

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

really horrendous models

I really must cancel my orders if they're that awful, I wouldn't want anyone thinking bad of me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I do find this enthusiasm for the Hattons coaches to be completely inexplicable. Here we have a superb model of an S&DJR engine and really horrendous models of coaches and they are both getting the same degree of critical acclaim.

Personally I would like very much to see accurate scale models of S&DJR rolling stock, passenger and freight, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime, if at all. 

Inexplicable it may be but you've answered your own question. 

I too would like to see accurate models of  S&D Highbridge stock but as you say unlikely to happen, if at all. 

Therefore we accept the Hatton coaches for what they are. 

I would hesitate to refer to them  as horrendous mind you.  Sure, they're freelance but they look okay to me and the roof profile and general appearance is close enough to the six wheelers seen on the S&D. 

If they're not good enough then the alternative is seek out Blacksmith or similar etched kits to build your own. That's fine but not for me. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I agree totally. Could always dig out the old Hornby S&DJR 4 wheelers. :prankster:

Was there still four wheeled carriages on the S&DJR in the 1920s? Regardless of whether they were generic Hatton's style. All the photos I've seen on a quick Google search suggest the 0-4-4Ts worked with a pair of bogie coaches. Often with a NPCCS van of some description.

Four wheelers seem more 1890s, than 1920s.

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-lmsr/london-midland-scottish-railway/unassigned/ea88e824a

Jason

Evening Jason. 

Fair to say myself and Callum refer to the 6whl examples from Hattons. 

Nice photo in Alan Hammond's Splendour of the Somerset and Dorset Railway  

Avonside 0.4.4T  no.12 at Highbridge in 1928 with an afternoon passenger train to Glastonbury. Date is probably right as no 12 has a Deeley smoke box door  secured by bolts and clips. Crucially, its train made up of at least four six wheel coaches for which the 'horrendous' Hatton six wheelers will pass for. 

A second photo in the same album shows an 0.4.4T double heading a 4F on a passenger train at Corfe Mullen in 1924.  Thats about right as the 4F arrived on the S&D in 1922.  First vehicle is what appears to be a six wheel full brake. 

Hope this helps when you're placing your order with Hattons.

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Indeed! Feel SDJR stock is very much over due, especially with the popularity of the livery and the number of RTR models in SDJR too, compared to say LNWR (referring to number of RTR locos on the market) which is a livery due to be released in the first batch...

I agree, I am perplexed as to why LNWR is in Batch 1, as lovely as the livery is, when there is only one RTR loco to go with them and no more announced on the way. I also find it odd how the LBSCR wasn't originally proposed considering the sheer popularity of it. If it were up to me I'd move LSWR into Batch 1. We have two M7s, a T9, the Adams Radials and a couple of pieces of goods stock for a train on another line. Not to mention it looks like Hornby has plans to firmly stake its claim on the company with its announcements from the 2020 range...

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

If they're not good enough then the alternative is seek out Blacksmith or similar etched kits to build your own. That's fine but not for me. 

Rob. 

Didn't know that etched kits of S&DJR stock were available

Cheers

Edited by PenrithBeacon
Formatting