Bachmann Collectors Club thanks the NHS and a S&DJR 1P

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but has anyone queried the lining. On the tank side it looks far too near the edges and far too square. I appreciate that it was a late addition to the SDJR stock and was originally painted the wrong colour by those nice lads at Derby, but all the official photos I have, which are earlier, have much more rounded corners to the lining and it is inset several inches from the edge of the panels. Overall the lining looks too bright. You can see the official photos here 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but has anyone queried the lining. On the tank side it looks far too near the edges and far too square. I appreciate that it was a late addition to the SDJR stock and was originally painted the wrong colour by those nice lads at Derby, but all the official photos I have, which are earlier, have much more rounded corners to the lining and it is inset several inches from the edge of the panels. Overall the lining looks too bright. You can see the official photos here 

The lining of the tanks and bunker follows the contemporary Midland style, apart from the concave curve around the boss fot the handrail which as invention of Bachmann's, also on the Midland-liveried model.

I am looking at a photo of Vulcan-built 0-4-4T No. 55 as rebuilt in 1925 with Belpaire firebox and Fowler fittings. This is painted in the same style, a lined black border to the blue panel. I think the black-lined-yellow-on-both-sides, with convex corners, is a style that probably went out early in the 20th century. Certainly tender lining seems to undergo a similar change - all following contemporary Derby practice, although with a bit more ornament - boiler bands and footplate valences continued to be lined out.

D. Bradley & D. Milton, Somerset and Dorset Locomotive History (David & Charles, 1973) p. 135.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Try putting yourself in their shoes, using your scenario...

They pick 4 coaches, from the L&Y, model them accurately, at a 6 figure cost.

To make it work economically, they make 1000 of each, 4000 coaches.

The forum goes alive.. “why didnt you do ( take your pick from : GWR, LBSC, FR, GNR, LSW, SECR, etc etc).

then...

“Are you sure the L&Y used that shade, I have a badly exposed grainy black and white news paper cutting that my grandad left me after eating chips in 1917 and the vinegar stain clearly demonstrates the wood stain was darker”.

Followed by

“you missed a grain in the wood on the under frame, thats it i’m out”.

They end up with 1000 left, project breaks even at best.

people grumble they should have done SECR etc.

OR...

They make an approximation of the type, that covers several liveries, without the accuracy fuss. They can make 500 of 12 types x4 and so thats 24,000, sells out.

Loads of people content with having something rather than nothing.

Those who arent, get the knives out, and start crafting, having a super detailed 4 wheeler to convert into something specific, rather than using a Hornby 45 year old 4 wheeler.

OR...

They look at it, think, forget it, we will make a class 69 instead.

I think their choice was the best compromise between nothing and something. I doubt anyone will find it worthwhile to tool accurate victorian four wheelers, without resorting to non-authentic liveries.

SDJR and L&Y will be my choices.

I wonder if this would be your response to a generic locomotive. If it isn't I'd quite like you to share why not.

Edited by PenrithBeacon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/11/2020 at 21:43, PenrithBeacon said:

I wonder if this would be your response to a generic locomotive. If it isn't I'd quite like you to share why not.

Thats a really good question.

When it comes to industrials, I have done just that, several times...

until the Peckett arrived, your choice of industrial was a J94, or do it yourself...

(Nelly, on an Electrotren chassis, with Oleo buffers).

But quite simply, I don't need to buy a generic model, because the manufacturers are making them... But, they've only made 3 of them, W2,B4, Barclay.. so i’m not quitting just yet.

Let me turn it back the other way, and tell me why people tolerate this...

61306, Waterloo. I cannot think of anything historically accurate in this image ?

So to answer your question... people like engines, they just aren't as fussy about the stock, or the geography... 60/80/20 rule, 80% are happy, then it will do. Satisfying the other 20% is too hard, but generally you should only need 60% to pass the test.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

until the Peckett arrived, your choice of industrial was a J94, or do it yourself...

B83D1ED7-F5F7-419E-BB59-BA97142B2CD6.jpeg.ba955ae7e708f21b9d47d4c1f31652fb.jpeg

But quite simply, I don't need to buy a generic model, because the manufacturers are making them... But, they've only made 3 of them, W2,B4, Barclay.. so i’m not quitting just yet.

DC8B4663-35A5-4F47-813C-441CC1CFFF6F.jpeg.a0123658fa59b3b66e93be9f9be00891.jpeg

61306, Waterloo. I cannot think of anything historically accurate in this image ?

So to answer your question... people like engines, they just aren't as fussy about the stock, or the geography... 60/80/20 rule, 80% are happy, then it will do. Satisfying the other 20% is too hard, but generally you should only need 60% to pass the test.

That Nelly looks good and looks well proportioned with that chassis. Is it a straight body swop or has the body been stretched slightly ?

I always thought that the Nelly model looked right, I know that it was based on a stretched LSWR C14, but the original looked like it had been squashed up. Its a pity that a modern version is not in the current range for junior and beginner modellers. 

Ray

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

That Nelly looks good and looks well proportioned with that chassis. Is it a straight body swop or has the body been stretched slightly ?

I always thought that the Nelly model looked right, I know that it was based on a stretched LSWR C14, but the original looked like it had been squashed up. Its a pity that a modern version is not in the current range for junior and beginner modellers. 

Ray

Yes, easy fit, if anything the Electrotren chassis was a bit too short, the rear coupling pocket is a Dapol wagon NEM coupling as it sits on a longer bar.

theres not much inside Nellie, what I did was to add a floor to the footplate of Nellie, and glue a neo magnet in the bunker, then another on the chassis, and this is sufficient to hold the body & chassis together.

I used the two front screws from the Electrotren chassis at the front, they fit just enough, but pull out (its more of a wedge), the neo magnets are more than strong enough to hold it.

i did drill out between the tool box and under the boiler, it just looks better (I cautious went around the pipe moulding, to make it a real pipe).

Nellies front steps didn't fit around the cylinders, so I removed them and made them into front step boards, as I’d seen on several other industrials.

Finally the buffers are Lima class 47 replacement metal buffers, just drilled out a hole in the buffer beam, and pushed them in (plastic Hornby 47 buffers would do the same).

Painting is SDJR prussian blue, with a replacement Dinky toy Express Dairies van transfer off ebay, (I’d prefer a cream lettered one if I can find it).

ive 4 more Electrotren chassis await use 3xMSC tanks, another HC 0-6-0T which will be an industrial, but Polish Olive/Black red livery.. I think it would wear well., and 3 Peckett chassis to do Agecrofts RSH 0-4-0t trio. Unfortunately whilst many have more free time in Covid, ive never been so short of time (family, cooking and work have taken it all). 

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

As long as everyone enjoys themselves it doesnt really matter a fig how accurate  or authentic their toys are .What I do object to other people shooting down other peoples enjoyment .We should have a flak gun motif to press as  a flak warning preferably with troll aiming it .

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, friscopete said:

As long as everyone enjoys themselves it doesnt really matter a fig how accurate  or authentic their toys are .What I do object to other people shooting down other peoples enjoyment .

That's not an argument for those who derive their enjoyment from the accurate depiction of the prototype having an appropriate discussion. Alternatively, we could all get down on our hands and knees and have fun with the Brio - an equally valid form of fun.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

That's not an argument for those who derive their enjoyment from the accurate depiction of the prototype having an appropriate discussion. Alternatively, we could all get down on our hands and knees and have fun with the Brio - an equally valid form of fun.

Each to their own.

You cant force everyone to be highly accurate in every detail.

You cant force everyone to play Brio.

80/20/60 rule in business..you’ll never make everyone happy all the time.

You just need to make it sufficient that 80% accept it, knowing 20% never will, so let them get on it with it (be it an ever lasting diehard protestor, a begrudging purchase/conversion, or avoiding it and doing a kit/self build) . But its got to be at least 60% there.

Some manufacturers try harder than others, when it comes to that +/-80% mark, but costs and sales volumes factors into it as well. 

No one will ever get to 100% accurate, at a cost thats efficient, price people can afford and sales volume that makes money. Similarly, If your at 60% I doubt a manufacturer would proceed either as not enough people want /accept it.

I personally would love a nice rake of LBSC, L&Y, SDJR coaches, but unless I do it myself (in 20 years when i’m retired), then this is the best choice on the table, for many older than I, it might be the last choice on the table, and for those younger, finding this acceptably affordable, it could become the inspiration to go for greater accuracy when they mature.

So be less spoilt, enjoy whats on offer, when I was a kid L&Y meant a Hornby Pug, 35 years later, it means an ex-Dapol Pug,  and a 2-4-2t..thats not much to show for a railway that once made the biggest, most powerful and most innovative of all the other companies.

unfortunately its business, theyve done the sums, decieded its worthwhile and gone ahead with it. If your in the 20% who dont like it, it’s tough luck.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

anyway back to the thread in question!

i knew about the Bachmann 66 a while back through work but not how it would be presented, as in collectors club pack, i still bought the Hornby one though to do my bit for charidddy mate but had been expecting this next year maybe

i didnt realise this thread had been going since tuesday so have only just found out about it oficially so im hoping its not sold out so i can get an order in on monday,(cant remember my log in details to do it on line) i also thought my membership had run out so was all set to add the renewal cost in to the price but as i went downstairs i spotted the postman had been and my Bachmann club mag and calender had dropped through the door minutes earlier with a renewal date of the end of november on the envelope

lets hope im not too late

• Like 2

6 hours ago, big jim said:

anyway back to the thread in question!

...so im hoping its not sold out so i can get an order in on monday,...

lets hope im not too late

Hi big jim

I placed my order yesterday and had no problems getting through and reserving one, so I expect you'll be OK but don't hang around just in case.

I would imagine many people who wanted one raced out to get the Hornby version, so probably leaving a slightly lower demand for this one.  That said, I think the idea of packaging it with two aircraft relating to Colonel (Captain) Tom's efforts (I think it was a flypast for his 100th Birthday?) is a nice touch.

Now having placed my order, I have already done my bit for charriddy mate but... don't like to talk about it ;)

Pop-a-dab-a-dopulous!

Ixion.

Edited by 97403_Ixion

48 minutes ago, 97403_Ixion said:

I would imagine many people who wanted one raced out to get the Hornby version, so probably leaving a slightly lower demand for this one. 

I also expect that the Hornby one is more collectable because of the name and the timing of it's release.

This one will be more appealing to those wanting it on a layout, although there will have been some of that appetite whetted by the Hornby one (upgraded or as is) or by resprays of Bachmann or Hattons ones.

• Agree 1

If not already planned, how about presenting Sir Tom himself with set number one? (A belated birthday present if you wish).

A lovely gesture of thanks and a shrewd piece of marketing also!

How lovely for him to have the models on display as a reminder of the flypast on his 100th birthday.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Ordered the 66 set this afternoon, gone for DCC decoder with it as I will be using it on the layout 

They still have the 1P available to order, I was tempted for the heritage line on my layout but managed to resist 

Edited by big jim

48 minutes ago, big jim said:

They still have the 1P available to order, I was tempted for the heritage line on my layout but managed to resist 

I was thinking similar but given its no longer on the go I won't be. Although I think the blue heritage loco I'll be investing in will be the Caledonian 812 828 from Rails, which whilst unrelated to this looks stunning IMO and had I not seen it wouldn't have given it another thought.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

As the gallant Captain was given a gong, shouldn't Great Western cast new nameplates for it to include his knighthood? 

It would be a cue for another limited edition.

They made him an honorary Colonel too.

I understand Tom himself has made it clear that although he very much appreciates the various titles he has been given since the March Lockdown, his peroneal wish is still to be known as 'Captain Tom'

• Informative/Useful 1

On 05/11/2020 at 22:23, adb968008 said:

B83D1ED7-F5F7-419E-BB59-BA97142B2CD6.jpeg.ba955ae7e708f21b9d47d4c1f31652fb.jpeg

DC8B4663-35A5-4F47-813C-441CC1CFFF6F.jpeg.a0123658fa59b3b66e93be9f9be00891.jpeg

That image is very historically accurate for what's probably 2019... 

• 4 months later...
13 hours ago, Markwj said:

Spoke with Henry at the collectors club today and he said the class 66 packs are due in April.

Thanks Markwj that’s good to no that I have something to look forward to soon. I have the sound fitted one on order 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...