Tramcar under restoration

carlwebus

Hi All

Another pic from my "where/   what is this" file.

Some sort of  balconied narrow gauge or tranway coach in store/ under restoration?

Red and white livery.

I'm thinking it may be Manx Northern (as some other pics in this lot plainly are) - but I'm hoping  someone may recognise the location or even the actual vehicle.

unknown 2.jpg

Edited by carlwebus
change category
  • Like 1

I don't know precisely whose it was or where, but it is the lower deck of a double-deck tramcar (the far-end spiral stairway can just be see). If it is in the Isle of Man, it will be a former Douglas horse tram or Douglas Head electric tram, and if you were to spend time googling images from these you would probably be able to identify it.

The object to the right of the photo is a telephone box.

Edited by bécasse
Edited to make clear that it had been double-deck

1 hour ago, carlwebus said:

Hi All

Another pic from my "where/   what is this" file.

Some sort of  balconied narrow gauge or tranway coach in store/ under restoration?

Red and white livery.

I'm thinking it may be Manx Northern (as some other pics in this lot plainly are) - but I'm hoping  someone may recognise the location or even the actual vehicle.

unknown 2.jpg

Looks like a 4w street tram car. I'm more interested in the vehicle (?) to the right.

1 minute ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Looks like a 4w street tram car. I'm more interested in the vehicle (?) to the right.

4 minutes ago, bécasse said:

I don't know precisely whose it was or where, but it is a tramcar. It isn't completely clear whether it is the lower deck of a double-decker or just a single decker (and it is possibly both as one single deckers which were cut-down double deckers existed). If it is in the Isle of Man, it will be a former Douglas horse tram or Douglas Head electric tram, and if you were to spend time googling images from these you would probably be able to identify it.

The object to the right of the photo is a telephone box.

Ah ha! Yes! I can see 'TEL...'! :D

The canopy bracket looks as though this car was manufactured by the British Electric Car Company.  My copy of image.png.419bcdf771d6ed9b3d346105284f5419.png

is not to hand but from memory they buit cars for the Portsdown and Horndean Light Railway (one saloon survived from this system and has been incorporated into a rebuilt tram http://www.britishtramsonline.co.uk/news/?p=29313) and Huddersfield Corporation amongst others.  Price wrote that BEC were not in the first league for build quality at a time when tramways were expanding everywhere.  Well seasoned timber was at a premium, just think how much the railways used in their rolling stock programmes, and short cuts were taken necessitating much subsequent rebuilding and reinforcement.

image.png.c36b7d510426ad88ae45f24ad720b93c.png

Edited by Adam88
Extra image found

• carlwebus changed the title to Tramcar under restoration

Hi All

Definitely looks like a tramcar.  With your  help I can  clearly see that. Also,  with the help of Adam88, certainly looks like the lower deck of a double decker - with the BEC brackets.  Did BEC build for Isle of Man?  

Agree with Sir Douglas - this would be best moved to the tram section.  How  do I do that?

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, carlwebus said:

- this would be best moved to the tram section.  How  do I do that?

Click on the 3 dots top right of the post I have quoted.  Select report and choose the "draw attention" option, mods will do the rest

One of the windows has an etched design which appears to have something in the centre of it - which may be a crest or something similar.

If you can enlarge that part of the photo it might be some help in identifying it?

It's not Stockport 5 prior to restoration is it? - No it isn't - just checked my photo of it!

Edited by Johann Marsbar
amended

I see the "maybe"  etched crest referred to by Johann Marsbar: centre of the window to the right of the front sliding door. Looks like a circle with some sort of  crest at the top.  Picture is not of sufficient  quality to see better  when zoomed up.  I've now  searched loads of tram pics and  can't see any that had a crest in the position.

I also see BET preovided trams for loads of towns.  But logically this pic should be from one of the places that show up in the r  ailway photos that were in the job lot  with this one.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I think it might be the Pwllheli horse drawn Brush tram, before restoration.  Unfortunately both photos on the VCT register are taken from the opposite side to yours, but you can make out ventilated toplights on the far side. There are four windows instead of three, but of course these may have been replaced.

http://www.tram.rhrp.org.uk/tms/tramInfo.asp?Ref=282

• 1 month later...
On 06/11/2020 at 00:42, Adam88 said:

The canopy bracket looks as though this car was manufactured by the British Electric Car Company.  My copy of image.png.419bcdf771d6ed9b3d346105284f5419.png

is not to hand but from memory they buit cars for the Portsdown and Horndean Light Railway (one saloon survived from this system and has been incorporated into a rebuilt tram http://www.britishtramsonline.co.uk/news/?p=29313) and Huddersfield Corporation amongst others.  Price wrote that BEC were not in the first league for build quality at a time when tramways were expanding everywhere.  Well seasoned timber was at a premium, just think how much the railways used in their rolling stock programmes, and short cuts were taken necessitating much subsequent rebuilding and reinforcement.

image.png.c36b7d510426ad88ae45f24ad720b93c.png

They did indeed build cars for the P&HLR, but they had a small but noticeable radius at the top of the side window frames, as you can see in the bulkhead window frames. Cars cascaded from the Gosport system to the P&HLR, the frames were square. No. 17 had additional framing added to the side windows, but not the centre one. No.13 is preserved and resides at Wicor/ Portchester store along with other local preserved busses and artifacts. I have 00 models of Nos. 5,8, 13 and 17 which used to run on my P&HLR layout, sadly in need of a full restoration itself!........One day? So my humble opinion is that the mystery one is not an original  P&HLR tram as far as I can see. Good luck with your research and do let us know the answer when you find out.

Tod

• 2 weeks later...