Planet Industrials - Etched plate sets...

James Hilton

As you might have spotted, we :heart_mini: industrials, and offering more than just locomotives kits we've another new product range to announce...

IMG_0500.jpeg.e057dc7e9d87f8922e38ea158a62127d.jpeg

CAPTION: James's model, a repainted and detailed Golden Valley / Oxford Rail Janus, with the new Yorkshire / BTH etched plates fitted.

Steve has been working on some of the custom etch artwork he's produced over the years to create a range of 'in stock' locomotive name and works plate sets in etched brass. Custom etching is fantastic, but does come with a lead time, these sets will be available from stock with no waiting time, and there are three sets in the range so far with more to come...

PIP-001 Yorkshire Engine 'Janus' (with BTH or AEI marking) etched plates £7ea 

PIP-001A_large.png?v=1604064802PIP-001B_1024x1024.png?v=1604064802

PIP-002 Dowlais Iron Works Nº 40 "King George V" etched plate £12ea

PIP-002_large.png?v=1604059006

PIP-003 Peckett W4 Dodo etched plates £7ea

PIP-003_1024x1024.png?v=1604058130

View the whole Planet Industrials range currently available

What we'd ask is that if you've got an industrial prototype in mind that we could include in this range, drop us an email (info@planetindustrials.co.uk) and leave a comment here - we can't produce everything but we'd like to expand the range beyond this initial offering.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

The plates on Yorkshire Engine Co. diesels should be made in nickel silver and not brass. The prototypes were aluminium alloy and so brass doesn't look right at all. I am reliably informed that only the BR Class 02 had YORKSHIRE plates that were made from brass.

I had a set of YORKSHIRE and BTH plates a few years ago, for my own Janus and they were made in nickel silver and I was surprised to see these in brass.

• 2 months later...

I have been looking on the LRS site for some other works plates/logos that were not brass on the prototypes, and where nickel silver would be a more suitable material but there is no option to order them in nickel silver. Why is this, when name plates can be ordered in nickel silver?

That is a good question and we should add it as a frequently asked question. 

Nickel silver doesn’t resolve as cleanly when the etching the finer detail on works plates so would result in poor plates. Brass gives a much sharper (and often legible) works plate in 1:76 scale. We would not be happy offering products we don’t believe in.

Edited by James Hilton
Clarified the position with nickel silver.

34 minutes ago, James Hilton said:

That is a good question and we should add it as a frequently asked question. 

Nickel silver doesn’t resolve as cleanly when etching works plates so would result in poor plates. Brass gives a much sharper (and often legible) works plate in 1:76 scale.

I beg to differ. On the left are some plates from Judith Edge. On the right are the remains of Janus plates that were produced by yourselves. Both look perfectly acceptable to me. Any blurring is purely down to my photography. Whatever happened to "The customer is always right"? In this case not only the preference of the customer but the actual fact that brass looks nothing like aluminium alloy?

etchedplates-001.jpg.fdc059a57113e201091441e520be4059.jpg

• Agree 2

On 19/04/2021 at 18:37, Ruston said:

I beg to differ. On the left are some plates from Judith Edge. On the right are the remains of Janus plates that were produced by yourselves. Both look perfectly acceptable to me. Any blurring is purely down to my photography. Whatever happened to "The customer is always right"? In this case not only the preference of the customer but the actual fact that brass looks nothing like aluminium alloy?

etchedplates-001.jpg.fdc059a57113e201091441e520be4059.jpg

i must admit in the past ive had multiple plates from narrow planet/LRS in nickle silver in the past and never had an issue with the resolve of the finished items when compared to brass. and when it comes to plates like those for the janus above id much rather have them in a closer to real colour. 

Thank you both for your reflections. On a personal level I have some early custom plates from Narrow Planet in nickel silver that are excellent, but these were in the larger garden scales. 

I will ensure we add a comment on sets where the material offered (eg brass on the Yorkshire) does not reflect the cast aluminium (or other) of he prototype. 

Our plans to add further plates in this range continue, and info@planetindustrials.co.uk should allow you to send any suggestions.

15 hours ago, James Hilton said:

Thank you both for your reflections. On a personal level I have some early custom plates from Narrow Planet in nickel silver that are excellent, but these were in the larger garden scales. 

I will ensure we add a comment on sets where the material offered (eg brass on the Yorkshire) does not reflect the cast aluminium (or other) of he prototype. 

Our plans to add further plates in this range continue, and info@planetindustrials.co.uk should allow you to send any suggestions.

So will you be offering these plates in nickle silver? 

• Like 1