Paybury - Southern Region Branch Line Terminus

Jonnie

Thank you Jonnie for such an inspirational thread. You have managed all this in the time I have sat and procrastinated over my own half finished layout. I’m ashamed. 
I do hope we will soon be out of this dreadful situation, and as a supporter of TWERPS. I hope you will soon be back and assisting in the running of the Spa Valley Railway.

Rich.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thank you for your kind words. It was something to keep me occupied mostly during lockdowns in between being able to open the Spa Valley, hopefully this Summer we'll get back to the enjoyment of steaming and dieseling up and down the High Weald.

This afternoons little task was to make an entrance sign for the station. It is quite a simple little thing really, a 40mm by 20mm creation in Adobe Photoshop, the colour coming from the BR Totem which was an image I had on file, the font is Gill Sans and the arrow is one created in Adobe by blending 3 together. Printed on an A4 bit of paper then stuck onto some card from the back of an envelope which was painted in BR(S) Green!

The 'posts' are just off cuts of DCC Concepts bullhead rail I had, painted and glued to the card, it was then just plonked down with superglue and hidden by the vegetation. Took about an hour all in with drying time for the paint. Edges of the sign have been trimmed very finely with a sharp craft knife then just lightly brushed with BR (S) Green to get rid of the white edge. 

thumbnail_IMG_0715.jpg.2429f864cb09a8f99b0b9de77f244597.jpg

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Jonnie said:

Thank you for your kind words. It was something to keep me occupied mostly during lockdowns in between being able to open the Spa Valley, hopefully this Summer we'll get back to the enjoyment of steaming and dieseling up and down the High Weald.

This afternoons little task was to make an entrance sign for the station. It is quite a simple little thing really, a 40mm by 20mm creation in Adobe Photoshop, the colour coming from the BR Totem which was an image I had on file, the font is Gill Sans and the arrow is one created in Adobe by blending 3 together. Printed on an A4 bit of paper then stuck onto some card from the back of an envelope which was painted in BR(S) Green!

The 'posts' are just off cuts of DCC Concepts bullhead rail I had, painted and glued to the card, it was then just plonked down with superglue and hidden by the vegetation. Took about an hour all in with drying time for the paint. Edges of the sign have been trimmed very finely with a sharp craft knife then just lightly brushed with BR (S) Green to get rid of the white edge. 

thumbnail_IMG_0715.jpg.2429f864cb09a8f99b0b9de77f244597.jpg

You’ve got that just right, maybe should have mentioned frequent services to London ? but that’s for the marketing department to worry about.

For patterns and typical accessories around the station I’ve found the book “Southern Nouveau “ an invaluable scource for reference.

Keep up the good work.    Rich 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

Some photos of the trains running up and down recently. 

thumbnail_IMG_1023.jpg.4eaa387fb5dcb39708a2f5f6be75d6d8.jpg

Dapol B4 shunting, thanks to YouChoos this model is now fitted with DCC Sound, this was the first model I'd had a go at fitting sound to and it wasn't as difficult as I first thought, around 2hrs all in. It also has stay alive on the model which helps for one of this size, although to be fair it's pickups are rather good and the track is regularly cleaned. 

thumbnail_IMG_1191.jpg.4fa019cd2881878fb22b3d6eebb01ad6.jpg

Is Paybury on the Isle of Wight... Who knows, it seems to mainly have LSWR models appear on it, here is a recently acquired 'Calbourne' from a friend. I'd been after one for a while so when it was for sale I jumped at the chance!

thumbnail_IMG_1233.jpg.b47a52d36d0d7fb262e87f514d81a954.jpg

Class 22 arrives with a Milk train, this is now sound fitted too. This photo finally inspired me to fit the head code blinds and the extra panels to the side.

thumbnail_IMG_1244.jpg.81d46116933958adbca9f95ae045a428.jpg

Head code fitted and on show, need to tone the brightness down though. 

thumbnail_IMG_1267.jpg.85c1ab084e12cd44d4895e0dd0b217de.jpg

On Sunday's the DEMU's operate the branch, here 1121 is sat ticking over (it is sound fitted too) with the saloon lights providing a nice warm glow to the Sunday morning service as the wagons parked up ready for Monday morning await collection.

thumbnail_IMG_1268.jpg.1cb6fe9cc396d8868cb87ef6b97410d3.jpg

The Saturday evening freight arrived so late the driver of the Class 22 dumped it in the steam shed and went home, the driver returned this morning to take the loco back to the local depot further up the line. 

• Like 12

So what next for 'Paybury'... Well, the 'Paybury' layout itself won't have a great deal of change, it all works and when we're permitted to do so it'll likely visit the Spa Valley Railway for a weekend at some point during 2021. There is, however, a project looming to extend the layout down the bit of branch line that is no longer there.

For anyone that hasn't really followed this so far, here's a bit of fictional history of 'Paybury'... 

"The Paybury branch as it’s become known was originally a 7 mile long line to the village of Payhound however the onset of WW2 stopped the planned extension of the branch to meet up with the London, South, North, East & West Railway at Payage Junction. Instead, the line beyond Paybury was closed in 1938 to allow an airfield to make use of the 1 mile long level straight across the Paybury Meadow. Paybury itself is a thriving little village you can see in the distance from the station, population c8,000 people but the primary use of Paybury is for freight distribution, although there is a regular branch line service. It is usually steam in the week and on Saturdays with a lower cost hourly DEMU service on Sunday’s. Regular branch traffic in the 1960s was M7s, Class 22s, O2s, 700s, DEMUs and Beattie Well Tanks with the occasional off region locomotives sent down from the local shed, 71K Hunmouth West. Paybury became a sub shed of Hunmouth and a B4 was out based at Paybury to enable daily shunts to be completed without needing to send an engine up the line. Part of the line beyond Paybury did continue in use to enable the China Clay at Payford Bridge to be brought back from the dries, what was the original mainline now forms part of a siding and run around loop. The line was threatened with closure in 1971 but the closure wasn’t forthcoming due to the China clay demand, the station site at Paybury was subsequently listed and today there is a thriving passenger service as well as a strong freight industry."

So... with an 8' 18" scenic set ordered from Tim Horne, the next phase will be to re-build the China Clay section of my original layout (I was never 100% with it) as an end piece of Paybury. It won't break 'Paybury' up, that'll still be independent, it'll just go from one scene to another, the extension being called, 'Payford Bridge'. 

To give an idea here is a mock up below.

24673340_PayfordBridge.jpg.d5e8f172fb8e80a857ebfdf9b6dfdb7d.jpg

Whether it'll come out looking like this I'm not too sure! 'Paybury' itself was just some track laid out and played around with then it ended up coming together! Limited to 6 points ideally as I already have the Cobolt motors. The DCC supply will come from 'Paybury' or it'll be independent. 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A few photos from a running session this weekend, and a shot of the whole layout. It might appear at the Spa Valley Railway this Summer with a few other members layouts, subject to the way of the world right now!

thumbnail_IMG_1981.jpg.82ab3dccd6f582da03d721827b08180d.jpg

M7 arrives into Paybury

thumbnail_IMG_1980.jpg.97cd0a068b4dfa16e78b6c9c4e14f4e1.jpg

The Q1 awaits departure whilst the Pull/Push has just arrived.

thumbnail_IMG_1939.jpg.29e0851602d10a6a437af0e5823c39df.jpg

Collecting the goods.

thumbnail_IMG_1960.jpg.5f4e3a50996b52acd2a5a0ade592a32a.jpg

The whole layout.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

I can see the red buttons to make it start but there’s nowhere to put the coins in!

Very nice.  Spa Valley is too far away for a visit should you be allowed to exhibit.

Paul.

• Like 1

Shamefully, I've only just discovered your thread. Excellent layout, really quite exquisite, you must be very pleased with it.  Spa Valley is not too far from me although I'm in Essex and I've never visited the railway so there might now be two reasons to visit.

Great stuff.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

I love this layout. Although you are running SouthWestern stock to me it exudes SouthEastern atmosphere. The Spa Valley is not too far from north east Kent . Hopefully we can visit in the summer . 
Keep posting. Your pictures are great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david51 said:

I love this layout. Although you are running SouthWestern stock to me it exudes SouthEastern atmosphere. The Spa Valley is not too far from north east Kent . Hopefully we can visit in the summer . 
Keep posting. Your pictures are great. 

Thank you. I do have a selection of LBSCR (Terriers, E4) and SECR stock (H, P, C and Birdcages), if you look back through this thread you'll see some of them in action. LSWR is just my personal preference and I seem to have more of.

Spa Valley as a location is purely just because I'm the railways Commercial & Finance Manager so it is an easy place for me to take it! Some of our volunteers have their own layouts (some have appeared in Model Rail) which could bring together a nice outdoors gathering at our Groombridge Station this Summer, providing the weather is nice! 

thumbnail_IMG_1985.jpg.2ce5d79cf8656b5207af5e4324bdbea2.jpg

Beattie Well Tank with some China Clay wagons, a sign of the future for when I extend Paybury... 

• Like 6

My daughter lives in Tonbridge so I will definitely be visiting. 
min a past life in the late ‘70s I used to travel regularly between Tonbridge and Uckfield via the Spa Valley for work    And last traveled on it the week it closed . 

• Like 1

Some more pictures I took earlier of my Class 22 on a branch working, this is a great model, so much so I have two of them, sound fitted. I'm waiting on a 8' by 18" diorama case to begin the extension of 'Paybury' down to the China Clay works but hopefully it should be quite a hit the ground running build once the board arrives as the track etc is already in stock. Whilst I'm waiting on the boards, the Class 08 I have is being fitted up to have sound with the M7 and Drummond 700 to follow.

thumbnail_IMG_1996.jpg.f0b3e2f3b5518f7b9f328968921a8c7a.jpg

D6321 idling away outside the station. A rare view of an empty siding.

thumbnail_IMG_1997.jpg.dc0394d34b47d05d5ccecc6f2b74b773.jpg

Hauling a couple of MK1s, these are renumbered after a couple of coaches we have at the Spa Valley.

thumbnail_IMG_2001.jpg.ea050fa370bd502a79f5488ea67d17d0.jpg

A J15 took a wrong turning! This is probably my only model (other than a 1366 for the China Clay bit) that isn't SR. My reason for buying it? I hired the real one in October 2019 to the Spa Valley and had a good couple of turns on the engine during its visit. 

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

Great pictures and as for the J15, one of the best justifications for Rule #1 ever.

I am really enjoying the backwater atmosphere of this layout. I am working on something similar based on the Great Western (Hail Satan etc etc) up in western Shropshire. Inspiration like this is taking me over the bumps shall we say? :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some pics of 'Paybury' of a quick Saturday afternoon job last weekend to add a 'section signal' just before 'Paybury Tunnel'.

thumbnail_IMG_2123.jpg.e61eee0e2d0c4ce049d1187d9eceec97.jpg

I'd thought for a while about putting in a signal just before the tunnel portal, mainly for an added extra, a Dapol SR rail post was duly acquired. The drilling of the hole didn't really impact on anything. There was a bit of foliage to remove beforehand but once out the way it was a quick and easy process.

thumbnail_IMG_2124.jpg.ef02951aa02163248bc7b12c0f51bf93.jpg

Signal plonked in the ground, I also added that SR signalling equipment case at the time. 

thumbnail_IMG_2125.jpg.c976771855264ebad3de4e9e2ad2a6b6.jpg

Signal blended back in and pulled off. Back scene has slightly bubbled here.

thumbnail_IMG_2126.jpg.4671148494a3539b828436730dd4bda8.jpg

Back to danger again. This showed up how I really need to blend in the track going into the fiddle yard which will be done when the weather is warmer and the layout can be moved to a more suitable location. The track at the moment allows for me to run trains though which is what matters!

• Like 5

As people seem to like these photos on Facebook I thought I'd add them here for others to see.

The layout does have its own Facebook page which details how it was built and is more regularly updated than my postings on here: Paybury Model Railway please feel free to give it a like or share!

Come and see Paybury at the Spa Valley Railway!

Before the photos, I have some news that might interest people that'd like to physically see the layout. The Spa Valley Railway, where I am the Commerical & Finance Manager, will be holding its first ever Model Railway Weekend on 11th & 12th September 2021, subject to things we've all become familiar with. 'Paybury' will be going along so people can see the layout and this will be the first time the layouts appeared in public and probably only time the layout can go anywhere in 2021 – I'm usually too busy at weekends with the Spa Valley!

Other layouts are being arranged and the weekend is mainly being run because a number of us that are members have our own layouts suitable for display. It is by no means an exhibition, just a gathering of model railways of various gauges. PM me or email Jonnie.pay@spavalleyrailway.co.uk if you're interested in bringing your layout along and I can send over some provisional details.

Anyway, onto 'Paybury' pics from the past week when I've randomly pointed my phone towards the trains... 

thumbnail_IMG_2100.jpg.5f989027a6e04c29b364c8411e9ad09a.jpg

Baby Warships were a regular visitor to the Paybury branch, here D6321 arrives with its China Clay train waiting for the gates to be opened to allow it to continue onto Payford Bridge... 

thumbnail_IMG_2099.jpg.e35f8c061344318ba04e564af6a21618.jpg

The Paybury shunter, B4 30089 goes off shed. This model is the Dapol version and is one I've fitted with sound and stay alive, it was very easily done for anyone uncertain as to whether it is possible. This was the first time I'd hardwired anything DCC and it has come out very well.

thumbnail_IMG_2054.jpg.96198b9431f14b681291ad4cce2c7731.jpg

Paybury lives inside and this was a nice sunrise shot taken one morning the other week, I just happened to be in the room at the time so my phone came in handy! 1121 idles awaiting the early morning commuters. 

thumbnail_IMG_2227.jpg.998ff83278b9f5c8807c6941a37674ee.jpg

Another Class 22! This was acquired and arrived this week, sound fitted like the other one and idles away in the yard over the back at Paybury one evening. The street lights are rather bright and whilst it probably isn't prototypical it illuminates the layout enough to operate it and still take photos in a 'night time' environment.

thumbnail_IMG_2243.jpg.193db81cff8bc42b35f3e6d6bd5891b7.jpg

D6325 waits to depart with a passenger working.

thumbnail_IMG_2244.jpg.6e6e3bf880cefb2cd139901c6bffbb13.jpg

As USA Tank 30069 rolls in with a freight working.

thumbnail_IMG_2242.jpg.1a9b0787cb453d23f0db0c9cd38cccf1.jpg

The USA Tank, a long way from Southampton rolls into Paybury with a selection of SR wagons.

thumbnail_IMG_2239.jpg.45048a13ef1273fae54e8537b9cb5171.jpg

And finally, Rocket appeared with its open top carriages providing a perfect solution to modern day open air travel in 2021!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Jonnie said:

Signal blended back in and pulled off.

Looking fabulous Jonnie.

As an extra authentic detail, the signal by the tunnel mouth would be difficult to spot, so may well have been fitted with a sighting board.  Or more likely a white patch painted on the tunnel brickwork behind the signal.

A good example on the bridge at Breamore here:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Breamore-Railway-Station-Photo-Downton-Fordingbridge-West-Moors-Line-2-/252424982172

and here:  http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/breamore/index.shtml

All the best, Dave.

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, DLT said:

Looking fabulous Jonnie.

As an extra authentic detail, the signal by the tunnel mouth would be difficult to spot, so may well have been fitted with a sighting board.  Or more likely a white patch painted on the tunnel brickwork behind the signal.

A good example on the bridge at Breamore here:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Breamore-Railway-Station-Photo-Downton-Fordingbridge-West-Moors-Line-2-/252424982172

and here:  http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/breamore/index.shtml

All the best, Dave.

Thanks, Dave. I have considered it but you might just have given me the motivation to go ahead and do it! :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Great Eastern Lady said:

When I saw the J15 , just for a moment I thought you was switching :)

A lovely model and a great engine in real life, I bought the model as little momento. When I was younger I spent a day at the North Norfolk and 65462 was running and thought this is a nice engine, several years later and being incredibly fortunate to be able to do this sort of thing, I hired the J15 from the North Norfolk to Spa Valley in 2019. I had a a few turns on the engine during its visit, a pleasure to drive and fire so that sealed the deal so to speak on me getting one! They do look rather at home on Southern branch lines I must say! 

• Like 1

A Saturday morning at Paybury, I thought some might appreciate the photos.

A194C4D7-A407-419D-9ED9-F4A77DDE668F.jpeg.82efbb965f2751c13d3b294375d095e8.jpeg

The M7 arrives with the daily van train whilst the resident B4 shunts wagons in the yard.

C853D1CD-7A41-444A-B322-CF0671ECC9D1.jpeg.07acd79204cbdd108891b83ab0da5d69.jpeg

The B4 dropped down to the Paybury Lane siding to drop off a wagon.

53E8EE5A-C5C4-4193-8CD5-A80AF8255383.jpeg.0b5bb829fd0d1ecac00c4aa9557551cd.jpeg

B4 having dropped off a wagon.

499622F1-2C37-427D-9AE1-004AFD59788F.jpeg.289449ade8ba34893d21cfd646ea9198.jpeg

USA tank 30069 after shedding at Paybury overnight waits to head off light engine back to Southampton Docks.

• Like 9