Fareham-Southampton line

paul59

Hi all,

New to RMweb, I’m not a rail buff,but just always had a love of the steam loco era. Being bought up on the Hamble River, I remember watching the trains run along the river through Burseldon. Retired and locked down now, I would like to build a diorama based on that line. I'd like to base it about the time my parents moved there late 30’s to the late 50’s. So, I’m in need some information what rolling stock would have been on that line around then.

Can anyone point me towards some reference material to help me please.

If you're after locomotives then a good place to start would be http://brdatabase.info, looking at Eastleigh and Fratton MPDs would perhaps give you some idea of what could have worked the line. Combine that with searching online for photos and that may give you a fair idea.

I'm sure others around here will have better suggestions for you though.

Cheers great site, the map is fantastic.

I've a few photos, like this one for instance, )I would need someone to identify the loco). I also have pictures of some bigger locos on the bridges and station, ie West Country Battle of Britain. but none of the smaller loco with local freight.

Paul.2020854846_BursledonViaduct41957.jpg.e29685ddaa1c1baee3ceefdd77322485.jpg

Bursledon View 3.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The upper photo shows a Maunsell mogul, of either N or U classes. Bachmann make the former, available new or secondhand. I have several and find them very reliable, and ebay prices are sensible. It's train looks too long to be a local service, and I suspect after Southampton it would have gone to Salisbury and beyond. 

Thanks info, Ian and Paul,

I'll look up the Maunsell Mogul. 

I have already bought a Bachmann 4MT 2-6-0 as in the lower picture. bit easier to identify from the number. 

I'd like a smaller, say 0-6-0 loco with some goods vans to add a bit on variety.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

All-stations passenger services would typically be hauled by a 4-4-0 tender locomotive such as a T9 with a 3-car set.  In the late 1930s the set would probably have been LSWR non-corridor stock, replaced in the 1950s by Maunsell corridor coaches displaced from longer distance services by new Bulleid stock.  These local services were modernised in the 1950s by 2-car "Thumper" diesel-electric units (Bachmann used to make a 4mm version which can still be found secondhand).  The 2-car units soon gained a third centre car but this is not readily available as a model.

The bottom picture is almost certainly one of the Portsmouth-Cardiff cross country services with its Western Region stock.  The top photo could well be the daily Brighton/Portsmouth to Plymouth service.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

Thank you for the replies, very much appreciated, good to have some pointers. The sound of the Thumper as you call them i recall more than the steam locos. the sound reverberated across the river. I probably won't go as modern as that tho. I've had a quick look at the T9, looks good.  Also it will make compressing the diorama a bit easier with a smaller rake of coaches. 

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2020 at 18:32, 34017Ilfracombe said:

All-stations passenger services would typically be hauled by a 4-4-0 tender locomotive such as a T9 with a 3-car set.  In the late 1930s the set would probably have been LSWR non-corridor stock, replaced in the 1950s by Maunsell corridor coaches displaced from longer distance services by new Bulleid stock.  These local services were modernised in the 1950s by 2-car "Thumper" diesel-electric units (Bachmann used to make a 4mm version which can still be found secondhand).  The 2-car units soon gained a third centre car but this is not readily available as a model.

A couple of T9s - one on shed at Eastleigh  - the other on what I would guess would be a typical stopper along your line. There are other photos in this album of Dad's photos - some in the late 50s & 60s - some later, but all steam - except the Ryde Pier tram! 

T9 4 4 0 no 30120  Eastleigh shed  30 6 58.jpg

LSWR T9 30313 Salisbury 14 7 1955.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1