O gauge worm & gear, delrin chain & sprockets

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

I'm building an O gauge BR class 25, a Wagon & Carriage works white metal & etched brass kit. It's been a protracted build-8 years in, I've completed one bogie, and am half way through the second. Partly because I am busy with other things, like running, and keeping a classic car on the road, but mainly because I am lazy,

I need to get another gear and worm, and some delrin chain. I need a 25 tooth gear with a twin start worm. The gear that came with the kit is 15mm dia, 11mm wide, with a tooth ring that is 4.8mm wide, and an inner diameter of 3/16" (mixed units-sorry!). The worm is 8mm dia, with a 2mm shaft dia.

Can anyone suggest where to get one please? I've tried Ultrascale and Markits, nothing seems to match.

Cheers N

Edited by rodent279

23 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Haven't approached them, but they don't list anything similar on their website.

But may know a supplier, since they still sell the kits?

I'd telephone.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 04/11/2020 at 10:31, JeffP said:

Have you approached PRMRP who currently market the kit?

On 04/11/2020 at 10:52, rodent279 said:

Haven't approached them, but they don't list anything similar on their website.

Ah, I think I may be wrong. PMRP list a 12.5:1 ratio worm & gear. The one I have in the kit (which dates from Wagon & Carriage Works days) is a twin start worm, with a 25 tooth gear-does that make it a 12.5:1 ratio?

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, doilum said:

The easiest solution might be two new matched gear sets. Your existing set can go into the spares box or return some funds via the bay of E.

I could, but the problem with that is that I would then have to de-solder the whitemetal frames from the brass bogie chassis. I'd like to avoid this, as a) it's already been on and off a couple of times, and b) my whitemetal soldering is ham-fisted at best, and I've already managed to damage two of the bogie sideframes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks all for the contributions. An email to PMRP, and subsequent phone call, has cleared things up. The worm I have is a twin start worm, and the wheel has 25 teeth, so it is in fact a 12.5:1 ratio. I have now bought some new Delrin chain, sprockets, a worm, wheel and motor, and 2 new bogie side frames to replace the ones butchered by my ropey white metal/low melting point soldering "technique". I'm good to go now, hopefully I'll have the kit finished in time for the 20th anniversary of its purchase next year!:blink:

• Round of applause 1