GWR coach scratchbuilding method

Dear all,

I am looking to to build a GWR D16 brake third coach for my EM gauge layout, Hembourne, as depicted in the corner of the attached photo behind the 58xx tank. It is 48’ 6” 6 compartment low roof with Dean 8’ 6” bogies. 

Unfortunately there is no kit available so I have come up with a few options and would like to canvass feedback of members experience and preferences.  My considerations are price, accuracy and how easy it will be to scratch build.  My options appear to be as follows:

1. kit bashed from Ratio 4 wheel brake 3rd and all 3rd, with metal bogies and added underframe detail. This may be the easiest option if I can manage the cut and shut process ok.

2. Scratchbuilt from plasticard. I have a copy of the excellent book by David Jenkinson on building coaches by this method, it will be very cost effective if I can get the accuracy right. Again metal bogies and underframe detail. 

3. Etched brass sides and brass underframe with metal bogies.  Unfortunately no one is listing D16 sides but Worsley Works may be able to produce and I may need to modify an existing underframe kit.  Potentially this would be the most accurate option but would be the highest cost. Currently I am leaning towards option 3. 

So far I have built a T20 4 wheel coach using Ratio parts, a few etched brass kits, but only ever buildings in plasticard. 

If you can share your thoughts and provide any advice that would be fantastic.

Regards

Paul

325327B9-8D72-4821-8547-824B07A04BF1.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 1

My concerns with 3d printing are my ability to make the CAD, although I can do 2D, and the definition of the 3D print.  From what I have seen you can still see the lines and something as complex as a coach side may be difficult to smooth out. I stand to be corrected mind. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, PUASHP said:

.....From what I have seen you can still see the lines and something as complex as a coach side may be difficult to smooth out. I stand to be corrected mind. 

It all depends on the material, print orientation, resolution of the print and the amount of filling, priming, sanding, filling, priming, sanding etc you’re prepared to do

This is a 3D printed body printed at Shapeways using ‘fine detail plastic’ from a drawing I did in Tinkercad

From this...

7F0B3657-4673-4FCC-9770-A13A26169BCD.jpeg.2043b13db03d31b1f0bc26130d28cd0a.jpeg

to this...

300F66BE-C2B2-4B71-BCCE-5748931898E0.jpeg.398a33131d55656f37df0ada56f3cfb6.jpeg

This is also a 3D print in the same material also from a drawing I did on Tinkercad

1B3A463C-9846-47E9-B6D0-06E9E32253AE.jpeg.5574fa9f04b79042b4c2cd3872c4a0f2.jpeg

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

15 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

It all depends on the material, print orientation, resolution of the print and the amount of filling, priming, sanding, filling, priming, sanding etc you’re prepared to do

This is a 3D printed body printed at Shapeways using ‘fine detail plastic’ from a drawing I did in Tinkercad

300F66BE-C2B2-4B71-BCCE-5748931898E0.jpeg.398a33131d55656f37df0ada56f3cfb6.jpeg

This is also a 3D print in the same material also from a drawing I did on Tinkercad

1B3A463C-9846-47E9-B6D0-06E9E32253AE.jpeg.5574fa9f04b79042b4c2cd3872c4a0f2.jpeg

Chris

That’s looks really impressive and you would never know how it was made. Technology has come a long way since I started modelling 40 years ago. 

There’s a bit of methodology and advice here about cut’n’shut ratio kits

and just in case you haven’t found it here’s the diagram for D16: http://penrhos.me.uk/LowRoofs.shtml#D16.  My experience is that it is a lot easier to build 8’ wide rather than 8’6 and something with staggered lookouts is also easier when using ratio kits.  D22, D23 or  D27 or even a D37

• Like 1

I have built a couple of GWR carriages for someone else using Worlsey Works etched sides and they're very good.  I also built a set of GE carriages for myself which I'm very pleased with.

As long as you can source the rest of the components you need to complete it, that would be the way I;d be looking to go.

13 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I have built a couple of GWR carriages for someone else using Worlsey Works etched sides and they're very good.  I also built a set of GE carriages for myself which I'm very pleased with.

As long as you can source the rest of the components you need to complete it, that would be the way I;d be looking to go.

That's now going to be a problem...the Comet site has been taken down, so trying to find the bits that went with the sides is going to be hard work. I don't know if Andrew is going to re-publish that information. It was so handy and useful to see which parts were needed to complete the kit. 

Mike

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Mike G said:

It appears Andrew has started to put the instruction sheets up with the sides. All the ones I have were complete.

Mike

That’s a relief, I was most frustrated when I went on the other day looking for instructions for my A22 only to find the old site gone and no instructions on the new.

I must say I found Comets site a lot easier to find what I wanted on

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...
On 05/11/2020 at 16:36, Brassey said:

I’ve had bespoke carriage sides successfully etched by Worsley Works so I think that’s your best option. No connection etc. 

Decided to take the plunge using Worsley Works etched sides for a D16 brake third in 4mm scale.  Currently looking to source the other parts required for the build.

If anyone is interested in a set of D16 etches then please pm me as they may be able to be done as a batch at the end of January. 

Cheers

Paul