Garden Summerhouse and DCC and Electronics

davidprentice

Hi

Thinking about using a large and pretty decent summer house in the garden to house my DCC layout.

Putting aside security issues, is there any problem with leaving DCC kit out in temperatures and humidities of something slightly better than a garden shed?

Anyone got any good tips or know of any helpful threads on this point? I tried searching but without success!

I should add that the Summerhouse is double glazed and insulated, so probably more akin to a garage conversion.

Hope that's helpful

Thanks in advance

Dave

I have put 2" of insulation all round the inside - including the floor and ceiling - to help reduce the extremes and this summer I left the door open as much as possible with a 18" fan pulling air through the door. At the apex I also put in a bathroom type extractor fan that I find useful in the summer to draw off the heat that inevitably builds ups.

I don't have any low level constant heat fitted, but this doesn't seem to have caused issues as I am in there most days and heating it up for use during the day seems to work for overnight also. 

The only issue I found was that as I had laid most track in the winter the first really hot summer caused issues as the insulating gaps all closed up and weren't gaps anymore. I widened the gaps to work in summer which means that they are a bit large for winter giving a definite clickety clack but at least the work :)

• Thanks 1

As the link above mentions, condensation might be a problem. It will occur when the summer house gets cold and is then opened to a sudden rush of warm air. Condensation forms on cold metal parts and can cause them to rust. Mould may also occur. The best way of avoiding this may be to use a greenhouse heater to stop the summer house getting too cold. 

Edited by grriff
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

My railway barn, 20' x 17', is an 1850 stone structure with a very low ceiling. There is in effect no heating. My Digitrax system has been switched on, but without track power except when I am running trains, since about 2007 - mains power outages only excepted. During those years we have had outside temperatures between -12 C and 41 C. No component has gone down in all that time. 

• Thanks 1