Changing functions on a decoder

Monkeyhead

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with a thing I'd like to learn to fix.  I've got an old Hornby 91 that I've upgraded to a CD motor, and wired it for DCC.  I also bought an Express Models lighting kit, which I've wired up and looks ok.

I'm using a v1 Sig-na Trak ACE controller, and have a programming track.

The decoder I fitted was one I had kicking around, and when I query it using the controller, it comes back as and ESU chip - cv7 shows 255, so I *think* its a LokPilot.  It's an 8 pin one.

The loco runs fine forward and back, but the issue I have are the lights functions.  On the Sig-na Track, I have a "lights" button, F1 (which is latched), then F2 which are straight on/off (plus loads of other F buttons after this).

What I see when I press the buttons is (in forward)  - [Lights] front white come on, stay on, nothing else.  [F1] rear reds come on, stay on, nothing else. [F2] front red come on then go off

In reverse [lights] rear white come on, stay on, nothing else.  [F1] rear reds come on, stay on, nothing else. [F2] front red come on then go off

So basically, I *could* run the engine ok forwards, using the [Lights] and [F1] button, but couldn't in reverse as the [F2] doesn't "latch"

What I think I should be doing is remapping the light functions to, for example [F4,5] where they could all operate independently , depending on the direction of the controller.

But I don't really know how to go about doing that with the equipment I have.

Hopefully someone can give me some guidance as I'm keen to improve my understanding of how this stuff works!

Ta

I think from memory that you can change the any F button to latching on the Signatrack controller. It will all be in the manual as to how to do it and that is available to download from there website. Failing that give them a call am sure they will be able to help out.

2 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Can you update the firmware on your SignaTrak to make it such that all functions can be momentary or latching? 

Would seem the better option to me.

Andi

Now that would depend on whether or not his controller has the USB port fitted as the early ones didn't have one. If not it is any easy fit.  

Hi, no, I didn't get the USB, and it is one of the early ones.  I thought about changing the buttons, but thought that would change them for everything - so I have a TTS sound class 20, where F2 and F3 play the horn, and then go off.  If I changed them, wouldn't I have the horn on all the time?

Or is the hypothesis that the buttons are only configured per loco?

22 hours ago, Monkeyhead said:

Or is the hypothesis that the buttons are only configured per loco?

If you were running the latest firmware (v3.20), the function buttons are set up for a particular profile and you can have, I think, 16 of these.  Therefore if you only have 16 locomotives, then it's effectively configured per locomotive.  If you have more locomotives, then you can have a different configuration for 16 sets of locomotives - ie you might have half a dozen locomotives assigned to profile 1, but only one locomotive to each the rest.

The Sig-na-Trak website indicates that a new firmware version (v4.0) should be released shortly, but I don't know how close that update actually is.

Thanks for the replies - I am running 3.20 so will have another look at the user manual, see if I can figure it out - I doubt I'll ever have more than 16 locos, so that should be fine.  And I'd missed the bit about the new software version, might be worth me picking up a USB module after all.

Okay v3.20 is the current version and allows you to set each function button up as either latching or momentary.  The 16 function sets (each function set allows you to name the F keys and decide whether they are latching or momentary functions) are assigned a letter from A to P and then each locomotive address is assigned to one of these 16 function sets.

May sure that you are reading the supplementary v3.2 User Manual, which you can get off the website at https://www.signatrak.co.uk/product-support/docs/func-startdown/30/.  It explains things that were in the latest update but not in the original user manual.  I don't think the function sets were in the earlier version.