Weedkilling Trains - Tender Markings

• RMweb Premium

All of my references for weed-killing train markings are taken from the web and some are not particularly clear.

I can see clearly what the main text is on the sides, but at the upper right hand side there are two short lines of text in italics.  

What are they?

I am guessing that because they are italics, one is probably        "Tare xx tons xx lbs"    But is the other then "Gross Wt   xx tons  xx lbs"     

And what were the weights?     

Tare weight of an empty Dean tender should be easy to find, and add a little for the extra buffers, plated over bunker etc.  

And Gross will be Tare plus weight of max water volume.    Or have I got this wrong?

Regards,

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi MIB,

I haven't got any better pictures of the 3 x tenders with cab weedkiller train.  Compare it with the version which looks like a modified low mac. That looks like

Tons when empty xx-xx

"          "       full   xx-xx

So I thinks your version is

Empty xx-xx

Full xx-xx

Maybe if you contact Steam, they may have a better quality image?

Will

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you both.  The photos of the Wolverhampton set, which is a "late" GWR set are clearer via that link ("westernthunderer")

I can see there that the text is something like

Empty  XX Tons XX cwt

Full  XX Tons  XX cwt

On the "Western Thunderer" link there is a link to a great Pathe film of weed-killing albeit on the LMS.

The photos of the Taunton set are "posed"  - you wouldn't want to get that close if it were operating.  There is no oil tank so this is an "early" set up.

A late ( with cab) set must have been a large consist:  TOAD /Mess Coach (4 or 6 wheeler perhaps)/Pump Van (FRUIT D or BLOATER size)/ 12 ton oil tank. 3 x old tenders/ TOAD

And with an operating speed of 25 mph, a lot of this work must have been done at night.

• RMweb Premium

Will,

Agreed

Looked at some "older" tender weights last night.  Adding a tiny bit for extra steel plating, hoses, extra buffers etc to give an empty weight.....and adding a 3000 gallon load

(10 lbs a gallon for water)  = 13ton 8Cwt of water

So I'm thinking for the 2 tenders:

Empty: 18 tons 1 cwt

Full: 31 tons 9 cwt

And for the cabbed tender

Empty: 18 tons 5 cwt

Full: 31 tons 13 cwt

1 hour ago, M.I.B said:

So I'm thinking for the 2 tenders:

Empty: 18 tons 1 cwt

Full: 31 tons 9 cwt

And for the cabbed tender

Empty: 18 tons 5 cwt

Full: 31 tons 13 cwt

Hi MIB,

Those figures make sense - matches the weights I've got listed for 3000g tenders and the water calculation is spot on!

You know what will happen though, you'll get it all finished and a photo will surface showing the writing in HD!

Will

• RMweb Premium

Will - just add a little more weathering on the numbers if that happens............

This was't a light goods train.  95 tons for the tenders, 2 TOADS = 32-40 tons, an oil tank full of chemicals 12 tons, a mess coach 15 tons and a FRUIT D or BLOATER with a  diesel tank and pump unit in it (14 tons)

All up is approximately 180 tons.

Nice  job for a Mogul or a Collett 2251 or a Dean Goods..............

• RMweb Gold

Colin Magg's 'Branchlines of Somerset' has two photos od weed-killer trains. One is of the GWR tenders including the one with the cab, a tank wagon and two goods brakes, one of which seems to have had its veranda boarded in. This was hailed by an unidentified pannier, at Wells. The other is of one with a couple of ex-LNWR tenders and assorted vans. The rear of the train is out of shot. Tis one is hauled by a 4F west of Bath on the LMR line to Bristol.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been flicking through the book Western Region Steam Around London by Kevin McCormack ISBN 0-7110-2611-4.

On page 89 is a weed killer train on 14th May 1960. It comprises of:-

Pannier 9758

Old toplight bogie coach (mess?)

2 x ex ROD tenders

3500gall? Tender with cab added

2 x tank wagons

BR brake van

There isn't a pump van on the consist - so I'm wondering if the gubbins on the first tender is the pump on all tender based weed killer trains?

Will

• RMweb Premium

Will

The pump on later weedkiling trains was sat in a longer wheelbase van (FRUIT D /ASMO size).  Probably an allocated van with extra vents added - I'm guessing the pump was diesel powered  so it would need cooling and venting, plus room for a fuel tank.

A Toplight coach would have enough room for both a mess and a pump room.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry Will - only just seen this reply.   Mo early photos I'm afraid - the Taunton one is the only early GW set of photos I have seen, and it's posed - no tank of "nasty" and no Mess van nor pump van.

I have a BR Blue Dapol FRUIT D to hack about and make a pump van.  Add a grille or two, grey paintjob......

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, M.I.B said:

Sorry Will - only just seen this reply.   Mo early photos I'm afraid - the Taunton one is the only early GW set of photos I have seen, and it's posed - no tank of "nasty" and no Mess van nor pump van.

I have a BR Blue Dapol FRUIT D to hack about and make a pump van.  Add a grille or two, grey paintjob......

No worries MIB,

I think I've seen the same photos.

Looking forward to seeing your pump van

Will