Class 55 Deltic Locos on Royal Mail Travelling Post Office TPO workings

GraemeWatson

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if any members have example workings of Class 55 Deltic Locos on Royal Mail Travelling Post Office TPOs?

Whitely and Morrison's Power of the Deltics book shows a Deltic (Unclear which one, undated photo) in plate 165 "Overnight mail pauses at York" (Photo: Rayner).

RMweb member mcowgill states in a Deltic thread "I remember at least one Deltic made it across to the WCML at Stockport with the York - Aberystwyth TPO in the 1970s".

I haven't found any other specific workings, including on RMWeb and I accept photos may well be rare.

If anyone knows of any example workings, or the time period in which one would have expected to see Deltics on them, I would be grateful to hear of it.

Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

I saw a few Deltics on the York-Aberystwyth-York Diagram.

I heard many more though! (Whilst tucked up in bed.)

I think the Deltics were detached, and stabled on the centre roads, at Stockport whilst waiting for the return working.

Kev.

Edited by SHMD
  • Informative/Useful 1

41 minutes ago, SHMD said:

I think the Deltics were detached, and stabled on the centre roads, at Stockport whilst waiting for the return working.

Kev.

Correct, I saw one once, centre road as I passed on an overnight service to London for a spot of trainspotting I think at Stratford.

Now did they go via Sheffield Midland or Stalybridge, Guide Bridge, Denton?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SHMD said:

Kev.

So did I (a bit further up the valley)! There was a late evening train, Deltic - hauled sometimes, which I used to hear when waiting for the bus on Whiteleas Estate in South Shields. It was travelling towards Sunderland.

Deltics could be rostered to work mail trains out of KX but they didn't have the mail bag-on-the-move facility. I don't know if the ECML ever had the lineside equipment fitted.

In the late 70s, several of the overnight trains on the East Coast used to convey TPOs. I have Deltic haulage recorded on the 20:30 Newcastle to Kings Cross (and Class 40s and a 37 as well!) 

Peter Johnson's "The British Travelling Post Office" (ISBN13: 9780711014596) also details other East Coast workings such as the 20:20 Kings Cross to Edinburgh and 22: 30 Kings Cross to Edinburgh which I seem to recall producing Deltics in the late 70s 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, SHMD said:

Kev.

Yep, seen a couple of pics.... 

55006 (0E23); Stockport; 14-07-1979

55 006 at Stockport, 14th July 1979

Edited by Red Devil
  • Like 5