Heljan announce Class 104 DMU in OO gauge

AY Mod

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, russ p said:

I'm amazed you had to bump this Andy.  I'd have expected pages of posts why its completely the wrong model by now !

:D

It's only because I'd hidden it until the embargo time after creating the topic yesterday.

This one's certainly going to cost me. Ben told me in the interview that it has low-floor mechanism etc. which is good news.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hallelujah !

let me say it again...

Hallelujah.

I need 3x units to make a typical Manchester -Blackpool train.
One unmotorised as its knackered in the middle, All with loose exhausts, windows rattling, and me hanging out the front window. One drivers front blind closed, one open, drivers bag on the desk right.

That for me is the best announcement this year.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Very happy, this was the DMU of my childhood.

Day trips to Blackpool, Southport.. early 80’s on a summer sat back when relief trains were still run, I recall one morning, 3x sets came in a trio one after the other, all full and we had to wait for the next as they were all full, I was impatiently wanting to board, but was surprised at the increased frequency.

Of course at Blackpool, for the return home, waiting endlessly for the Blackpool staff to open the barrier so we could go out, but they’d never let you wander the platform, so loads of missed numbers.

Another memory is riding down to Salford, again window hanging, straining to see the last usage of the RSH’s at Agecroft.

Another memory would be the unusual routing around Brindle Heath to Pendleton and Manchester from Bolton on these, the Blackburn hourly’s stopping all stations along the Bolton line.

its a jack pot for me this.

Next time I saw a 104 was the opening weekend to Cauldon Lowe in 2010... I decided to pass on riding behind 71000 for a trip on the 104.. needless to say getting a window to hang by was both easy and the only place I went.

looking at the list, I see the Blue w/ White Stripe, All Blue and Blue Grey, you can safely put all three in the same train, as a 6,7,8 or 9 car, in any combination or order of colours, and still be wholly accurate for a summer saturday Blackpool, whatever spaghetti Newton Heath could mix, they did,

there was some right mongrels put out, and hybrid units too.

http://wmbusphotos.com/Trains/class104/Blackpool090783.html

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder, with the lighting options, if this model could be the first one to come with smell ?

People think Ryanair invented the scrum.... I remember the Blackpool Illuminations services, 8-10pm night, on a school night too.. Usually cold, probably wet..  As soon as the barrier opened it was a free for all down the platform for seat. It was dog eat dog, as once full, they’d deny boarding and put you on the next one too.

Once youve run onboard for a seat, the carriage would begin to hum, as everyone unwrapped their fish and chips, and started to chow down... you could smell the unit before you saw it by Poulton.

By the time it reached Chorley, those wanting to get off, would have to work around the loo queue as well, as everyone wanted to do their thing before the mass exodus getting off at Bolton.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This is so wonderful.

I have voted for this in each poll going back to MREmag days!

Lovely memories of these, (from vibrations, noise, ride, fumes, rattling windows, soggy elbows, good forward views, roaring rails), from Manchester Victory (and Pccadilly) to points east of Manchester.

Kev.   :)   :)   :) 

• Agree 1

Unexpected but very welcome, I expected this to come from Barwell as a last hurrah of their 57ft underframe.  Given I'm already in for nearly two grands worth of Heljan AL6, 25, 45 and 47s, with at least three 104s hitting the spot in this announcement, does that mean I qualify for honorary Danish citizenship for significant contributions to the Danish economy?

• Funny 8